Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

New fresh meat's toys and questions

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Colin 99
Thu Feb 22 2007, 12:39AM
Colin 99 Registered Member #192 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 03:08AM
Tonic,

When I increased the zeners to 15 volts, it made a difference. I haven't tried anything higher. Obviously it's limited by the max voltage allowable on the gates.

A 100 watt transformer is definatly not big enough! I'm drawing 13 amps maximum at maximum arc length with 36 volts input. That's alot of power amazed I'm using 36 volts for more power and because my flyback seems to take it, although I had to jumper some of the secondary pins (It had two secondaries) to prevent flash over.

With the high output current that the ZVS mazzilli circuit produces, You'll only get hot orange firery arcs, not blue/purple.

I'm using high voltage high, current IGBTs now and they get really hot (on heatsinks) within 1/2 minute of running a jaccobs ladder.

I hope this helps.

Shaun
Tonic
Thu Feb 22 2007, 08:27AM
Tonic Registered Member #528 Joined: Fri Feb 16 2007, 10:32PM
[quote]
When I increased the zeners to 15 volts, it made a difference.
[/quote]

Difference in what? Arc's length, thickness?

wrote ...

A 100 watt transformer is definatly not big enough! I'm drawing 13 amps maximum at maximum arc length with 36 volts input. That's alot of power amazed I'm using 36 volts for more power and because my flyback seems to take it, although I had to jumper some of the secondary pins (It had two secondaries) to prevent flash over.

Well, that's not that. At max load ZVS driver draws 28V/11A. That's far more than 100W. 100W doesn't mean the transformer's output won't overlimit this power, it just won't stand for long time. When I play with ZVS and switch off, transformer is usually moderately warm and is alive cheesey

wrote ...

With the high output current that the ZVS mazzilli circuit produces, You'll only get hot orange firery arcs, not blue/purple.

Yeah, that's why I want to tune it in order to get lower output current and higher outpu voltage.

wrote ...

I'm using high voltage high, current IGBTs now and they get really hot (on heatsinks) within 1/2 minute of running a jaccobs ladder.

My guess.. bigger heating is caused by bigger resistance?

Colin 99
Sat Feb 24 2007, 04:07PM
Colin 99 Registered Member #192 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 03:08AM
Difference in what? Arc's length, thickness?

Increase in both thickness and length

Well, that's not that. At max load ZVS driver draws 28V/11A. That's far more than 100W. 100W doesn't mean the transformer's output won't overlimit this power, it just won't stand for long time. When I play with ZVS and switch off, transformer is usually moderately warm and is alive

I remember that I had a hard time measuring current. I ended up using a current shunt and a DVM some distance away from the circuit before the emf from the ZVS circuit would stop interfering with the DVM. I tried current clamps too.... no good. You might not be measuring the actual current and I can't see how a 100 watt transformer could but out that much power.
Use more batteries or a big transformer.

Try more capacitance on your resonant cap. Its easy and makes a big improvement in arc length.

Shaun
Dr. Dark Current
Sat Feb 24 2007, 06:39PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Tonic wrote ...

Later, I bought a TV cascade which multipled voltage a lot and I started to feel fear. Instead of 1cm spark, I've achieved 8cm length one.
hi Tonic
do you use a limiting resistor on the output of the cascade? I tried a cascade with a limiting resistor, but it "sprays" heavily and lots of corona, and this decreases output. I'm afraid to run it without the limiting resistor, because I think it can be damaged from current surges.
Ambar
Sun Feb 25 2007, 03:18AM
Ambar Registered Member #549 Joined: Sun Feb 25 2007, 02:49AM
I am mounting the ZVS to driver and I am with some you doubt on the functioning of it. For example, which is the maximum frequency that reaches. How many Watts is necessary so that of a hot arc?
Tonic
Mon Feb 26 2007, 08:59PM
[quote]
I remember that I had a hard time measuring current. I ended up using a current shunt and a DVM some distance away from the circuit before the emf from the ZVS circuit would stop interfering with the DVM. I tried current clamps too.... no good. You might not be measuring the actual current and I can't see how a 100 watt transformer could but out that much power.
Use more batteries or a big transformer.
[/quote]

Hm.. EMF could interfered multimeter measuring, since it was near flyback.

Is it really impossible to get that much power? I don't have any batteries laying around. Probably the best option will be searching a cheap, used transformer from internet auction, I'll look around.

wrote ...

Try more capacitance on your resonant cap. Its easy and makes a big improvement in arc length.

I've added something aroung 2.5uF and gained 3.5uF in total, but it didn't make different, or different was too small to notice. Or something is limiting.

By the way, I've changed primary wire to fatter one, ~1.5mm, but a heating problem still occurs. Do you have any idea how to solve it?

jmartis wrote ...

hi Tonic
do you use a limiting resistor on the output of the cascade? I tried a cascade with a limiting resistor, but it "sprays" heavily and lots of corona, and this decreases output. I'm afraid to run it without the limiting resistor, because I think it can be damaged from current surges.

Are you saying about this type of cascade?

Modul
From Link2

If yes, then no, I didn't use limiting resistor. I hadn't any reasons for this. You didn't want to damage cascade because of overcurrent? And you did use resitor on output, not input? Well, I don't get it ;)

It reminds how I plugged an cascade to flyback drivered by ZVS. Yeah, a bit stupid idea.. but, before cascade died by large current, it did shot a incredible, marvelous spark long at least 15cm and it was orange colour and quite fat. It really frightened me! What a pity I don't have pic of it ;( But I have an idea to connect TV cascades in parallel. Would it work?

Ambar wrote ...

I am mounting the ZVS to driver and I am with some you doubt on the functioning of it. For example, which is the maximum frequency that reaches. How many Watts is necessary so that of a hot arc?

If you are asking about frequencies at which ZVS driver works, I don't know, I'd rather shot that's something between 30-50 kHz.

To have that hot arc, it depends. Just make ZVS driver properly and get a power supply unit that can give at least 10A. Current is a main factory which decides how fat arc will be.

BTW, I'm re-asking - can anyone help with doubler? I have a 100W transformer with 1x24V AC output and I want to double it. What capacitors, diodes and scheme I can use?
Dr. Dark Current
Mon Feb 26 2007, 09:31PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Tonic wrote ...

Are you saying about this type of cascade?

Modul
From Link2

If yes, then no, I didn't use limiting resistor. I hadn't any reasons for this. You didn't want to damage cascade because of overcurrent? And you did use resitor on output, not input? Well, I don't get it ;)
Yes, exactly this type. Somewhere on the site the picutre comes from, is also mentioned that the cascade should be never discharged directly to ground, but through a high-voltage resistor. The reason for this I think is that the spark to ground stresses the capacitors inside the cascade by a rapid discharge, which they'll never see in a TV, and can fail. The resistor then slows down the discharge.
I will try it without the resistor, the cascade was free anyway so it doesn't matter if I destroy it smile
Tue Feb 27 2007, 03:42AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
You need a resistor on the output of the cascade tp protect the internal diodes. Basically, if you do not have a resistor in series with the output the internal capacitors are discharged directly through the diodes into the load (which in the case of a TV has a very high impedeance, but for a spark it is very low), which can create very high peak currents; and diode diodes.

But if it works it works ;)
Tonic
Sat Mar 03 2007, 11:57PM
Hey, acutally I'm trying to build half bridge for flyback and, probably, tesla coil, but it would be later. There are schemes I've drawn in according to different site pages and schemes (there were russian, czech, polish and american :P)

IR2153 driver
Link2

Power supply from main
Link2

And half bridge
Link2

There's small error in driver, the supply polarity is reversed.

Now, what do you think? I've choosen IR2153 because of simplity and effects that are shown on bottom of this page :

Link2
Sulaiman
Sun Mar 04 2007, 08:22AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
International Rectifier give datasheets Link2
and application notes for the IR2153, a good place to start.
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: