Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
wpk5008 (34)

Next birthdays
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
05/09 AmonRa (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

source for good HV resistors?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
YoshiEggz
Wed Feb 14 2007, 06:58PM Print
YoshiEggz Registered Member #521 Joined: Wed Feb 14 2007, 06:03PM
I bought a bunch of doorknob caps rated at 40Kv each and built a makeshift marx generator with it. It works good but the resistors tend to break down near the end stages. I am starting with 5Kv from a NST and using six stages. my resistors are 1meg 2 watt carbon style.

Does anyone know a good source for resistors that will work in my application? I looked on Ebay and the glass "tiger-stripe" ones are very expensive and I think overkill for my application?
J. Aaron Holmes
Wed Feb 14 2007, 08:21PM
J. Aaron Holmes Registered Member #477 Joined: Tue Jun 20 2006, 11:51PM
I haven't built a marx before so I can't speak from experience, but there was talk in the not-too-distant past about using homebrew water resistors as well as black rubber for the resistors in a marx. The black rubber idea was pretty intriguing. A search of the archives would probably turn it up.

Another option would probably be to just stack the small carbon resistors, but use corona rings at the ends and in between sections to keep things from corona-ing to death. Maybe you're already doing that, though.

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE
Marko
Wed Feb 14 2007, 08:29PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
The black rubber idea was pretty intriguing. A search of the archives would probably turn it up.

I didn't try building a marx yet, but vulcanised rubber indeed seems to work quite well as a resistor and is easy to use.. just cut two strips and arrange the caps on it!

It may, although, have too high resistance per cm for our liking, so you may need to mount the 'electrodes' just few mm from each other. I didn't try it on a marx, so I don't know.

Nik
Wed Feb 14 2007, 08:47PM
Nik Registered Member #53 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:31AM
I belive hot glue works to prevent flashover as long as you aren't going for good looks.
Wed Feb 14 2007, 11:59PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Hot glue should never be used for anything with an H or a V in the name. Trust me.

I have found silicone caulk to work pretty good. With my homewound flyback transformer I used OH transparencies and clear silicone to insulate it, nd haven't had a flashover even putting out 20kv at .5mhz
ShawnLG
Thu Feb 15 2007, 05:43AM
ShawnLG Registered Member #286 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 04:52AM
"Hot glue should never be used for anything with an H or a V in the name. Trust me."

What happens when you mix the two? I thought It would be a good potting agent. I have never used the stuff for HV.
Thu Feb 15 2007, 06:41AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Well, it starts to conduct at a few kv, then it starts to boil... I suppose there is probably glue that doesn't conduct, but I haven't found it tongue
I am not sure if it is just the capacitance of it and me using AC, but hot melt glue is not a good potting agent. I have completely killed operation of 3 things I built by using it angry
Electroholic
Thu Feb 15 2007, 06:47AM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
the black rubber stuff has actually too low a resistance for marx applications.

as for my marx, im using 3 X 500k 2W metal film in series.
mines 20kv per stage btw.
Marko
Thu Feb 15 2007, 02:18PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
the black rubber stuff has actually too low a resistance for marx applications.

It depends heavily on rubber type and 'hardness' of vulcanisation. Some small rubber bands I have here measure few hundred kiloohms per centimeter, while some enforced black rubber 'tape' I couldn't measure at all, <2000 megaohms.

But it did conduct, although poorly, when I hooked an obit to it.

I guess it doesn't conduct until voltage is high enough to ''arc over'' between conductive particles in the strip, similary as ferrite.

Some 'surface tracking' could be seen at points where I stabbed the electrodes, so I don't know if it would be best for a marx.

I think it's better idea to find some lower resistance rubber and use longer strips if needed.
Self Defenestrate
Thu Feb 15 2007, 03:01PM
Self Defenestrate Registered Member #87 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 01:36PM
I was in the resistor challenge a while ago, and made a few resistors with water putty and graphite. They had horrible tolerances, and were fragile, but worked alright. These days I find it much easier to use 1/4w resistors in series(usually 100k, i have a reel of them) and put them in a length flexible pvc tube. Fill that up with oil, and seal the ends with some epoxy, and your set.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: