Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
wpk5008 (34)

Next birthdays
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
05/09 AmonRa (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Ionic energy - the next power revolution?

Move Thread LAN_403
Alex
Mon Feb 12 2007, 02:22AM
Alex Geometrically Frustrated
Registered Member #6 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 04:18AM
wrote ...
Arggg… I’ve already said too much

On the contrary, you have written a lot but said very little. This is a scientific community, it is a place for sharing knowledge. Secrecy and patents have no place here.

So far, you have rambled about several projects in the realm of pseudoscience, and have provided very little data. You need to stop asking questions and fill us in. If there is any worthy science in what you're doing, perhaps people will start taking you seriously.
CM
Mon Feb 12 2007, 08:27AM
CM Banned on April 7, 2007
Registered Member #277 Joined: Fri Mar 03 2006, 10:15AM
Alex:

I must have missed your new rule about there being no room for patentable topics on this site, where might I find your new rule? Kidding aside, you might be right, I may have already said too much. Someone who's taken the time to actually grasp the concepts I've mentioned (which include concepts Tesla pioneered, earth being a conductor of electricity, sound familar?) could figure out what's in my 3rd patent application. My mistake for not being willing to make public domain, display schematics, and fully disclose the technology that I've spent years and lots of money to develop before my patent issues, pretty selfish of me actually. Bad CM, bad CM. (Note to self: According to Alex, don't mention any projects I'm working on unless I'm willing to disclose the trade secrets and patentable aspects of it). Experience shows that its the established intellectal status quo (and often times religious communities) that sometimes resist advances in technology and forward thinking, at first. I've witnessed it all over the world including from EE's that have worked for me, the intellectual statu quo who supposively champion free thinking are all too often the very ones who resist progress by insisting certain things simply can't be done... until someone else does them. Mark Twain said "The fellow with the new idea is always a crank... until he succeeds". CM
Steve Conner
Mon Feb 12 2007, 10:52AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Well, let's see you succeed, then. Sure, you've proved that you can harvest atmospheric electricity, but that was known since the days of Ben Franklin. What you haven't done is prove that you can harvest it in useful quantities. Like a previous poster said, you have a $100k contraption the size of a football field that can light a LED. If I wanted to light an LED with renewable energy, I'd go and buy a $20 hobby solar cell from Radio Shack and put it on the window sill.

So by all means report on your progress, but please don't claim to have solved the world's energy problems, unless you have a 100 kilowatt prototype to show us. I mean, you can buy 2 megawatt wind turbines off the shelf, and people who advocate wind power are still dismissed as cranks. Everyone laughed at the Wright brothers until the plane actually got off the ground carrying a useful payload.

BTW, this article Link2 says the total worldwide potential of atmospheric electricity is around 200kV at 1000A. So 200 megawatts. Also see Wikipedia on atmospheric electricity: Link2

The biggest claim of atmospheric electricity harvesting I could find was several kilowatts, by Hermann Plauson in the 1920s. But I don't believe it.
Marko
Mon Feb 12 2007, 02:10PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
BTW, this article says the total worldwide potential of atmospheric electricity is around 200kV at 1000A. So 200 megawatts. Also see Wikipedia on atmospheric electricity..

I'm not sure what this applies to, since this information simply contradicts the fact that approximate continuous power generated just by lightning seems to go in gigawatt range.
Most articles seem to circle the number of lightning strikes to earth per second to 90..100:

Link2
Link2

Considering average energy of each lightning, 500 megajoules, it's already 50 Gigawatts of power.

But, even an order of magnitude more power wouldn't be a lot of use considering 174.0 petawatts received by earth from sun.. wich still doesn't seem good enough to make us use solar cells rolleyes
Alex
Mon Feb 12 2007, 02:16PM
Alex Geometrically Frustrated
Registered Member #6 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 04:18AM
CM wrote ...

I must have missed your new rule about there being no room for patentable topics on this site, where might I find your new rule?
There's no rule against it, you'll just find that everyone laughs at you when you post a picture of a glowing LED and say you spent $100k to do it. Your claims of patents and trade secrets are no replacement for true science, and judging by your previous posts, there's none to be found in your work anyway.

I'm locking this thread before it degrades any further. In the meantime, you might find this site to be geared more toward your interests.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: