Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

A feasible goal for a Miniature SSTC?

1 2 3
Move Thread LAN_403
Dr. Shark
Fri Feb 10 2006, 09:38AM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
Holy mother of Jesus, you actually managed to run IGBTs at above 1MHz? From what I hear so far, they max out at about 250KHz, so that is truely impressive. In fact this is exactly the coil I was planning to build, can you post some more information about it, e.g. what kind of IGBTs you were using, how you were driving them...?
Self Defenestrate
Fri Feb 10 2006, 02:27PM
Self Defenestrate Registered Member #87 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 01:36PM
That's incredible. Everything stays cool? Post a list of specs.
Marko
Fri Feb 10 2006, 03:06PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
When power is so low switching transitions make disipation but are not danger for igbt's life any more.
And I dont get proportions you say its just 1 inch ??? great..
JimG
Fri Feb 10 2006, 05:29PM
JimG Registered Member #52 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:22AM
The secondary is 1" x 3.5" using 36 gauge wire wound on an HDPE tube similar to the vitamin C tube. The top load is a 1" x 3" toroid.

The IBGT that I'm currently using is the IRG4BC40WS. I tried out a few different cores for the GDT to trigger them and found that a T50-2 gave me the best results at the frequencies that I was aiming for.

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to run it for long periods of time since my mosfet drivers will stop working for after running for more than 20 seconds. I also wanted to run the whole thing off of a wall transformer so it only fires once a second after I've built up 175 volts.
Dr. Shark
Fri Feb 10 2006, 06:12PM
That IGBT has a turn-off time of 100ns which is really quite fast. Most lager die devices I have seen were above 200ns. Running at 1MHz this means that the switching transition lasts 10% of the cycle, which explains why it heats up quickly (and once hot the switching speed gets worse, for a runaway effect), but still sounds managable.
May I ask what kind of power supply you run it of, and what value your primary capacitance is?
JimG
Fri Feb 10 2006, 08:35PM
At 1.1Mhz it's 454ns between zero crossings. At spec the total turn off and fall time of the IGBT is 174ns, my schmitt trigger has max propagation delay of 15ns and my mosfet driver has a max delay of 90ns. Looking at the numbers I should be spending 279ns transitioning and 175ns in the correct state. When I was putting it together I wasn't real sure if I would even get it to work at such a high frequency, but I've been able to get small visible streams at upto 1.8Mhz. I've only had it running for a few days now so I haven't had a chance to analyze if it is working because I'm using more than the specified gate voltage on the IGBTs or if it is because I'm just 180 degrees out of phase.

For the short bursts that I run it at the IGBTs don't seem to change temperature to the touch.

For now it is using a simple switch mode power supply using a 555 to charge a 250v 500uf capacitor. It's not ideal to wow people with, but I went this route because I wanted something I could experiment and take measurements with rather than generate continuous sparks.
Dr. Shark
Thu Feb 16 2006, 12:17PM
I did some reading on IR's warp speed IGBTs now. To me this looks like the ticket to a new generation of miniature coils. Thanks Jim, for this great discovery!
With their 150kHz rated maximum frequency it seems we can easily drive them into the MHz, considering that most existing DRSSTCs drive IGBTs at about 10x the rated frequency. Turn off time is only 6ns, which is definitely MOSFET-territory, considering that even "ultra fast" IGBTs need some 30ns to switch off. Wow, this really does not fall short of the ideal switch very much. (according to the marketing guys here Link2 that is)

But, where there is light, there is shadow: As these devices have not been around for long, its impossible to get them surplus, you have to buy them from IR, and they set you back $8 a piece (thats for the IRGP20B60PD which is the standard 600V 40A TO247 model. Datasheet: Link2 Thats a lot considering that a few are certainly going to explode during the construction of the MHz driver circuit.

Well, the bottom line is, if anyone knows where to get these or equivalent devices for cheap, I'll be able to build my 1" secondary 5" streamer TC and be a really happy guy. smile
JimG
Thu Feb 16 2006, 04:02PM
I got the IRG4BC40W IGBTs from Digi-Key for $5.83 each in the D2Pak package, but they only have the slightly more expensive lead free version, now. It looks like they still have a few of the lead versions in the TO-220 package left. I've been able to get them to peak at 200 amps without destroying them so if you're gentle you shouldn't have any problems.

1 2 3

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: