Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Colin 99 (53)

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

A feasible goal for a Miniature SSTC?

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Dr. Shark
Thu Feb 09 2006, 07:31PM Print
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
I have never seen a really small TC (small here meaning something like a 1" by 4" secondary), that had streamers approaching or exceeding the lengh of the secondary. I suppose a trivial reason for this is that with a higher winding resistance and lower inductance, the smaller coil is farther away from being an "ideal" transformer. But still, the maximum streamer length should be limited by flashovers to the primary or the like, if one had a "perfect" driving circuit.
I suppose that the main obstacle to this is the primary voltage, since most small coils seem to be working of 50VDC or less. Indeed it seems that small SGTCs perform much better than their SS counterparts, even though with big coils, SS seems to win.

So what do you experts out there think? Is it possible to to build a driver that gets 5" sparks from a coil of this size? If this sounds doable I'd really like to try building something like that, because for me the reason to get into tesla coiling is that I moved into a small flat so I cannot play with the big stuff.
Reaching
Thu Feb 09 2006, 07:48PM
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
a few days ago i build a small 2" x 6" and got around 14" upt to 16" streamers ,so i think, drsstc is the way to go. a simple fullbridge of ultrafast igbts and a feedback driver and voila.
Marko
Thu Feb 09 2006, 07:48PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
My small coil puts 5cm streamer not being in resonance and diameter of secondary is just 1,5cm, length is around 15 cm.
It was SGTC, powered by ignition coil and with bottle caps.

Its sitting now uselessly %-6
Dr. Shark
Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:14PM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
Reaching, that is indeed impressive. The problem I see with IGBTs (compare with the IGBT thread in the electronics board) is that they can only go so fast - and with a Vitamin C bottle coil like I was proposing you cannot get the resonant frequency much below 2MHz. So unless your IGBTs are ultra-ultra-fast, or MOSFETs with a low Rds(on) could be used for a DRSSTC, I don't see how this would scale to miniature coils. It seems that the more efficient the driving technique (OLTC, DRSSTC...), the more it depends on the resonant frequency being reasonably low.
Extreme Electronics
Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:26PM
Extreme Electronics Registered Member #74 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:17AM
A 5" coil giving 5" streamers sould be possible, but probably not a DRSSTC.

There are a few issues here as the coil size decreases the frequency increases, this means that you will have to get faster transistors, IGBT's are too slow to run a coil above around 100Khz, so you have to go back to good old mosfets.

With mosfets you are severly limited in the max current they can handle, even using their pulsed spec. The other problem is that using a DRSTC at high frequency the primary cap becomes so small you cant get much of a bang building in your primary.

but

If you use decently sized mosfets (irf460) and 400 or so volts you can pump enough power at 500Khz into a 5" coil to get much more than 5" streamers, the problem is that the drive electronics becomes bigger than the coil its self..

Take a look at Roffesoft Experements with an SSTC

Smaller than 5" and you get all of the above issues, but much worse.. plus the coil size:drive size ratio becomes even worse..

take a look at
Millietess &Nano tess for fun when you get really small.

Derek
1139516773 74 FT203 Boxsp
Avalanche
Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:37PM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
Have a look at my 'Maplin Special' coil on my website (see link in sig). This is a 2.5" diameter secondary, with a winding length of 3.5" - fairly small, but a nice performer.

I managed a consistant 4.5" output, and then on the mains it managed 7-8" from that small secondary. The coupling between primary/secondary was very tight, but well insulated.

Marko
Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:38PM
The problem I see with IGBTs (compare with the IGBT thread in the electronics board) is that they can only go so fast - and with a Vitamin C bottle coil like I was proposing you cannot get the resonant frequency much below 2MHz.

You need to wind it with very thin wire, actually keep proportions with bigger coils (smaller coil -> thinner wire) and with lots of turns freq. can be relatively low (few hundred khz)

And I think tha 2 inch (more than 5 cm) is not more a tiny coil, c-vitamin and thinner ( < 1 inch) would be more in category, maybe?

But 16" streamers from that are really cool..
Part Scavenger
Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:03PM
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
The reason you don't see alot of really small SSTCs is because of resonant frequency. The smaller the coil, the harder it is to bring the resonant frequency down enough to have acceptable switching losses. To to this, you have to use very small wire, which makes for a more fragile secondary, and so you can't pump as much power into it. They are getting smaller though...
Marko
Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:11PM
Yes I tortured myself winding that mini coil, wire was thinner than hair and I torn it once (soldered and continued :D) and preformance was not bad at all...
HV Enthusiast
Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:37PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
There was a huge thread of a micro tesla coil contest about a year ago. There was a large variety of very small tesla coils (1" secondaries and perhaps even smaller, but i can't remember for sure) created by several of the members here. If you have time, search the archives, as there is a wealth of information there.

1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: