Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

First light. Almost perfect and need some help

Move Thread LAN_403
Steve Ward
Mon Jan 29 2007, 06:10PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Be sure not to use your "good" meter. Go buy the cheap 5 dollar volt meter for this experiment. Ive blown up too many "good" meters (a nice wavetek once sad ) from using them around tesla coils and marx generators.

What is the gap spacing of your rotary? I always had to make my gap spacing at tight as possible for best performance from my old 15kV 100mA system. I think i usually kept the electrodes within 1/16", but closer if i could manage it. If you are using tungsten electrodes, be sure to have some sort of containment around the thing incase they collide and shear. My gap used a wimpy little synchronous motor that i accidentally stopped the rotor with my hand and didnt regret it *too* much wink. So my gap was relatively harmless if the electrodes did collide. I was also running 1800RPM.

Anyway, i sorta suspect the GFI is acting funny. Either that or you have a power arc somewhere before the terry filter perhaps, and by turning the variac down you quench this arc allowing power to go back to the primary capacitor again.
Sulaiman
Mon Jan 29 2007, 06:58PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I find that moving-coil meters are the best around TCs and other eht-sparky-things.
Also has the advantage of no batteries required,
with the drawback that (say) 20 kV x 50 uA is 1W, ok for a TC but not lower power devices.
IamSmooth
Mon Jan 29 2007, 07:14PM
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
As far as my voltmeter that I will construct I will use a $5-10 simpson panel meter. I agree that using anything better puts it at risk of destruction.

My rotary gap is 1800rpm on 4" flywheel with 4 tungsten electrodes. They are about 1/16" of an inch. If I put them any closer I fear they will hit from thermal expansion during use.

I am hoping to find another nst 15kv/60ma without the gfi.

EDIT: Until I start swapping componets I won't know the real answer, but the person who sold me the bleeder resistor for my capacitor thinks the voltage tolerance is 30kv. this would coincide with the voltage the capacitors were probably seeing when they stopped working.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Tue Jan 30 2007, 03:16AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
One thing I think bares mentioning is that on a non GFCI NST you have a true midpoint ground.

On a GFCI NST you do not have a true midpoint ground. The midpoint is raised about 60V above 0 because of the GFCI triggering circuit. You can test it if you like. The midpoint is plainly raised above case ground by a small ceramic support, and in the spec. sheet they explicitly tell you not to ground this to case ground.

IF you have the non GFCI NST (A) midpoint grounded to your Terry Filter, and you have GFCI NST (B) to a separate Terry Filter using its raised midpoint 'hot' grounded, A will cause a current loop with B if your grounds are shared.
IamSmooth
Tue Jan 30 2007, 04:24AM
I don't have them both grounded to the filter. The midpoint of the filter literally goes to the ground. Each ground lug on the NST are connected to mains ground. I am in the works of getting a second no GFI unit.
Coronafix
Tue Jan 30 2007, 04:28AM
Coronafix Registered Member #160 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 02:07AM
I'd like to bet on core saturation and phase shifting.
It only happens once you go up past a certain point,
and it doesn't reset until you bring the voltage back down to zero.
Is the current still high when it happens?
IamSmooth
Fri Feb 02 2007, 01:32PM
mistake...
IamSmooth
Mon Mar 05 2007, 12:41AM
Problem solved: I disconnected the ground to the NSTs that I had in parallel. One is center balanced while the other is off by 60v (GFI unit). I also used a bleeder resistor on my capacitor with a voltage rating of 31KV instead of 15kv. These two changes now allow me to crank up the primary voltage to 120v without any problem.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Mon Mar 05 2007, 01:11AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
heh, wha'd I say. Gotta be careful about your grounds.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: