Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Procedure for purifying HNO3 by vacuum distillation?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Dr. Shark
Tue Jan 23 2007, 04:28PM Print
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
Out of general curiosity and because I hear that it makes a superb rocket fuel, I've been pondering the possibility of creating 100% HNO3 by distilling a mixture of HNO3 and H2SO4 under reduced pressure.
Back in the days when I was interested in thing that go Boom! (I' still thankful to my guardian angel I didn't loose any limbs back then), I think I had a rather detailed account of safety procedures, temperatures, pressures etc., but I'm not able to find that anymore. Does anyone happen to have the procedure on hand?

Oh, and would one of the more experienced members (Bored Chemist comes to mind) like to comment on the general sanity of attempting this? My equipment is basically limited to an all-glass distillation aparatus, no fancy fume hoods, blast shields, &c. If it's unsafe to attempt this in any quantity, I'll forget about it, but it's so tempting when you have all the apparatus for it.
Bored Chemist
Tue Jan 23 2007, 06:37PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
"Oh, and would one of the more experienced members (Bored Chemist comes to mind) like to comment on the general sanity of attempting this? "
well, I think it's insane, but I'm not qualified as a psychiatrist.
It would be safe enough to do this on a sub- gram scale but that's no use to you.
Even on a small scale any vacuum distillation should be done behind a screen of some sort. The next question is how badly do you want to inhale the nitric acid vapour when (not if) something breaks?
" it's so tempting when you have all the apparatus for it."
Good point, but since you lack a fume cupboard and blast shield you don't have all the apparatus.
I realise that someone will reply to this pointing out that they have distilled buckets of acid in their kitchen while feeding the dog and changing the baby. I'm told there's a guardian angel who looks after fools, drunks and children, but I don't want to bank on it and I don't want anyone's accidents on my conscience.
If you persist in this idea, at least try to track down as much information as possible.
This is probably a good start
Link2
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Tue Jan 23 2007, 08:11PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
A long time ago when I was still into dangerous stuff too, I was trying to distill Nitric as well. I doubt that I ever succeeded, but what I can tell you is that it's not really that easy. If you're attemting to condense the gas like older methods, then you will loose quite a bit of it during the process and its very noxious! Not to mention toxic.

If you really want to do it, the glassware is avaialable if you look in the right places. There is some on ebay all the time, and swapmeets, and universities. Someone is always shutting down a lab. However, you don't know what's been in the glass so its a big risk factor to your safety. It should be properly cleaned with Chromic Sulphuric Acid before use, and getting the cleaning solution is almost impossible for someone without chemical buddies.

If you want to do it at reduced pressure you will need a reaction flask rated for it, and safety too. You could use a round bottom flask, but the trouble is there is hot Nitric and Sulphuric acid in that flask. If it cracks, then you have a world of problems on your hands.
I have some old low pressure glassware and what they did was to tape the outside up, not all of it, but they made a web like covering over the outside. To do this to a boiling flask you wouldn't be able to use PVC tape because it would melt. BUT you could use a silicone Fiberglass tape because of its heat resistance and mechanical strength. These tapes are available by 3M but are rather expensive. If you do tape the flask, don't bother trying to get the tape off, it will bond to the glass.

Reducing pressure, well, that is easy with a vacuum pump, but its not easy to do it properly. Vacuum pumps are not intended to have corrosive or organic material find its way into its pumping medium. So as a system design you need traps, neutralizers, bubblers, dessicators, and a bunch of other expensive stuff.

I think you'd be better off trying to buy it. I can't even buy Nitrate here unless its through one of my chemical connections, and they would want a justification for a 50 lb. bag of Nitrate.

Here's some stuff you would need to get started:
1169583073 135 FT20008 Mvc003f

1169583073 135 FT20008 Mvc004f

1169583073 135 FT20008 Mvc005f

1169583073 135 FT20008 Mvc006f

1169583073 135 FT20008 Mvc007f

1169583073 135 FT20008 Mvc008f

1169583073 135 FT20008 Mvc009f

1169583073 135 FT20008 Mvc010f

1169583073 135 FT20008 Mvc011f

1169583073 135 FT20008 Mvc012f

Here's the home for my Calcium metal

Dr. Shark
Wed Jan 24 2007, 03:13PM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
Bored Chemist wrote ...

It would be safe enough to do this on a sub- gram scale but that's no use to you.
Even on a small scale any vacuum distillation should be done behind a screen of some sort.

Well I wasn't going to pruduce liters of the stuff, 5ml or so would be about the right quantity to have some fun with. I'm not so worried about the danger of imploding glass though: Even back at university we did lots of distillations under reduced pressure, and never had any safety screens. I've got all the proper glassware, and I think the danger of that failing just from air-pressure (no explosion involved) is close to nil.
But in case of a failure the HNO3 would possibly decompose explosively (correct?) and then one deep breath could kill me - not something I'm keen on right now.

Hazzmat, you were also on the Powerlabs board, right? I think I had a thread there once about the same topic, and I got flamed by Sam, but in retrospect I think he was right (but only that one time smile) As I said, I have roundbottom flasks etc, and I am using one of these tap-water powered pumps, so all the nasty stuff goes straight down the drain.
You've got quite a nice collection of glassware too, btw, but at least mine was more expensive since I bought the stuff before eBay came along. tongue
Steve Conner
Wed Jan 24 2007, 03:16PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I think Chris (not Russell) has distilled nitric acid in a similar way before. He recently posted some pics of about a half bottle of red fuming nitric acid, that I assume he made himself. Hopefully he'll comment on this.

I think trying to distil nitric acid at home is pretty crazy, but I'm not a chemist, so I'm not qualified to comment.
Bjørn
Wed Jan 24 2007, 04:03PM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
I've got all the proper glassware, and I think the danger of that failing just from air-pressure (no explosion involved) is close to nil.
Quality glassware with a known history is quite safe, but never 100% safe. There is always a tiny chance that it will fail without notice. I can recall 5-6 incidents where glass have failed for no obvious reason, one of those involved a test tube filled with acid that caused a lot of problems.

If the glassware contains high pressure, low pressure or dangerous chemicals you should always assume that it will explode because it is only a matter of statistics before it fails. As Bored Chemist tried to explain there is only one way to err and that is on the safe side.
Bored Chemist
Wed Jan 24 2007, 06:39PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
The really important thing to know about "sub gram" is that it doesn't mean more than a gram.

" I'm not so worried about the danger of imploding glass though"
I am, possibly because, if it were not for the fact that I wear glasses, I might not be able to see to read this thread.

"I've got all the proper glassware, and I think the danger of that failing just from air-pressure (no explosion involved) is close to nil."
Imediately before any accident, if you asked the people involved they would practically always say " I think this is reasonably safe" and they were always wrong.
Just for the record, in this case the propper glassware includes a safety screen (and I'm quite happy to discuss whether or not polycarbonate is a glass but not in this thread).
IMHO there are 2 ways to err; on the safe side and on the dumb side. An interesting difference is that you can err on the safe side as often as you like.
Chris
Thu Jan 25 2007, 01:49AM
Chris Registered Member #8 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 04:34AM
I have distilled about 400mL of red fuming nitric acid before, which is done at one atmosphere. It's easy if you have the proper equipment. If you wanted to make white fuming nitric acid, you would simply have to add a vacuum pump, probably a peristaltic pump, to reduce the boiling point and therefore the level of decomposition of HNO3 to NO2.

You will need to do this outside or under a fume hood or something if you do it at one atmosphere; there will be a lot of NO2 put off. If you use a vacuum pump, I imagine you would need to run the output to a condenser that returns to the reflux.

WATCH THE LEVEL in the boiling flask. Don't put too much in; I recommend at most enough dry reagent for 300mL of HNO3 in a 3L flask (you can do the math yourself). The anhydrous H2SO4/KNO3 mix is very thick and dough-like even if you use excess H2SO4. The other night I was distilling this stuff for the second time and had too much in there (enough for 750mL HNO3), and it started rising up into the column. It plugged up, pressure built, and I ended up in the hospital with 3rd degree chemical burns on my hand, stomach, and a little on my face. Very painful. Thank goodness I was wearing protective clothing and goggles, or it would be much, much worse *cringes*. Don't make this mistake! and don't stand near the aparattus when it's doing it's thing!

As long as you are careful with avoiding pressure buildup in the still, and the dangers of NO2 vapor (remember that stuff will desensitize your nose despite its strong odor, and even low concentrations can be dangerous or deadly, with no symptoms showing for several hours!) it should be a relatively safe procedure. If you don't have anywhere to vent the vapors, you can run it through a scrubber with baking soda, sodium or calcium hydroxide, or something. I use an all glass and teflon reflux rig to distill (quite expensive equipment, even if you get lucky on ebay, but anything less would not be sufficient), and a double boiler type setup to heat the boiling flask slowly, gently and evenly. Always keep plenty of baking soda around in case something breaks. Remember teflon has a very high thermal expansion compared to the very low expansion of borosilicate glass. Teflon plugs, adapters, and stopcocks will get tight when heated and cannot be removed until cool. There is always the risk, however unlikely, that the expanion could break glass joints. Never cram teflon stoppers in tight before they are warmed up.

Remember fuming nitric acid is a strong and potentially hypergolic oxidizer, and is not compatible with any materials besides glass, teflon, some nickel or stainless alloys, and special fluoroelastomers like Viton or fluorosilicone. Don't even think about keeping it in a plastic bottle.
Swany
Thu Feb 01 2007, 04:03AM
Swany Registered Member #261 Joined: Mon Feb 27 2006, 12:34AM
I would not be worried very much distilling nitric acid as long as you take proper precautions and take your time. If you have a vacuum pump, by all means use it. It is not totally critical however. I distill 2:1 molar mixtures of NH4NO3/H2SO4 frequently at standard pressure. I keep the temperture well below 120C, and avoid light. Adding a small amount of urea to the final product gives me roughly 96%+ white fuming nitric acid. If it is yellow, simply run some cold air through it with urea to clear it up.

However, I would not suggest distilling perchloric acid!

EDIT: And yes, when storing do NOT use anything but ground glass or teflon. Same goes for distilling, although plastic wrap is quite resistant to it. As is tinfoil.

If you only need small small amounts, and do not want to fiddle with a distillation setup.... this works, albiet slowly: Link2 (go to syntheses' and then Nitric acid) tongue
Shaun
Thu May 10 2007, 04:46AM
Shaun Registered Member #690 Joined: Tue May 08 2007, 03:47AM
And If you dont have/cant get/wont buy a good quality vacuum pump, scitoys.com tells how to make a good PVC hand powered one.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: