Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Stoichiometry of NaNO3

Move Thread LAN_403
Billybobjoe
Sun Jan 21 2007, 09:34PM Print
Billybobjoe Registered Member #396 Joined: Wed Apr 19 2006, 12:55AM
I've found a local, fairly cheap source for sodium nitrate and I've tried it in a few compositions with sugar, and the bright orange sodium flame makes for a nice flare. I've haven't been able to perfect the mixture because I don't know what the stoimetric mix is. For KNO3 and sucrose, (candy rocket mixture) its 66/34 (or sometimes 65/35 for better casting and whatnot).

Something tells me that it should be relatively easy to determine using NaNO3 instead of KNO3 using the difference in atomic masses, but I'm not there yet in chemistry. Anyone know? Thanks!
Chris
Sun Jan 21 2007, 10:28PM
Chris Registered Member #8 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 04:34AM
Sucrose is C12H22O11, and a combustion reaction with sodium nitrate would likely yield Na2O + N2 + CO2 + H2O. Balancing this equation (and no, I didn't do it in my head, there are online calculators that can do it for you), you get 5C12H22O11 + 48NaNO3 -> 24Na2O + 24N2 + 60CO2 + 55H2O. Other oxidation states are possible (and even more likely given the conditions) as well with these reactions, yielding K2O2, KO2, or their sodium analogs. With the superoxide, the equation looks like C12H22O11 + 24NaNO3 -> 24NaO2 + 12N2 + 12CO2 + 11H2O, resulting in a vastly different stochiometry. With the peroxide, we get C12H22O11 + 12NaNO3 -> 6Na2O2 + 6N2 + 12CO2 + 11H2O. As far as I know, potassium has more of a tendency to form peroxide and superoxide than sodium.

Sucrose has an atomic mass of 342.3g/mol, KNO3 has a mass of 101.1, and NaNO3 is 85.0. This means the stochiometric mix of sucrose to KNO3 resulting in potassium peroxide (K2O2) will be 3.5:1 by weight, and you should be able to figure out the other stochiometric ratios with this information. In rocket compositions in practice, excess fuel is often used in the mixture. Also it may be difficult to predict the exact composition of the oxides formed by the reaction, which vastly affect stochiometry as you can see. This is why I don't like metal based oxidizers. They are confusing (they also produce a high mass exhaust which is detrimental from a performance standpoint, though sodium nitrate should outperform potassium nitrate in this respect). You will probably need to do extensive experimentation to determine the true ideal mix unless you can find it through some other source. A good place to start might be simply subtracting the mass difference per mole between sodium and potassium nitrates for your mix, based on the information out there on potassium nitrate compositions.
Sun Jan 21 2007, 10:38PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Doh! chris beat me to it angry

The change from Na to K is easy, just convert from mass NaNO3 to mass C12H22O11 (using the normal 5C12H22O11 + 48KNO3 -> 36CO2(g) + 55H2O(g) + 24N2(g) + 24K2CO3) and then divide

ie

Start with 1g NaNO3 * (1mol NaNO3 / 88.995g NaNO3) * (5mol C12H22O11 / 48mol NaNO3) * (342.300g C12H22O11 / 1mol C12H22O11) which equals 1.551g C12H22O11. So if you want the ratio sugar/nitrate just divide (1.551g C12H22O11) / ( 1g NaNO3 + 1.55g C12H22O11) which gives a 60.7/39.3 ratio.

But, the reaction will be different for Na, and you don't actually want a stoichiometric ration, so really, just test it and see what works best

BTW, if you don't like adding the masses the of the elements, there are a lot of calculators to do it for you Link2 Link2 Link2 (a few of my favorites)
Billybobjoe
Sun Jan 21 2007, 11:27PM
Billybobjoe Registered Member #396 Joined: Wed Apr 19 2006, 12:55AM
Thanks guys. ... - I"ll give that ratio a try - at least that narrows it down somewhat so the range of experimenting is much lower. Also, this isn't necessarily for a rocket propellent, I just want a stable burn without to much extra molten NaNO3 and sugar spurting out. This is sort of a flare/fire starter kind of thing.

Should I even ask how one would substitute NaNO3 in black powder?

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: