All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

PIEZO - Sanity Check before spending money/time

Move Thread LAN_403
CM
Sun Jan 14 2007, 03:36PM Print
CM Banned on April 7, 2007
Registered Member #277 Joined: Fri Mar 03 2006, 10:15AM
Some of you have been nice enough to correspond with me in another thread about my quest to find the most efficient method of converting HV sparks jumping a gap... into constant LV. I've tested many different methods and currently am using a buck converter to keep a large cap charged that in turn drives small loads like LEDS, small motors, and on occassion a fuel cell, but still searching for THE best efficiency method. I'm considering testing Piezo conversion by 1) allowing the spark to directly impact a Piezo element (or via a shield) generating some temperature/mechancial change, or 2) spark energizes a solinoid that strikes the Piezo element, or 3) spark energizes an audio speaker (making the diaphram move) which in turn impacts a lever that then impacts the piezo (similar to the solinoid idea), or 4) Spark energizes one style of Piezo element causing it to flex... which is mechanically connected to a 2nd Piezo element that receives the mechancial stress and generates V/ma. Interested to hear from those who know about Piezo if any of the above are worth testing effort and cost... or if Piezo simply isn't suited for this application. Below are pix of my collector array, spark gap and buck converter. Thanks in advance. CM
1168788604 277 FT0 Collector Towers

1168788604 277 FT0 Sparkgap
Bjørn
Sun Jan 14 2007, 06:50PM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
There is a company selling piezo electric converters, they mention an efficiency of up to 90% as possible. It is two elements bonded together driven by AC at the resonant frequency.

Try searching "Oxford Electric Bell" for some ideas. You would want your voltage to stay high to be as efficient as possible.

You need to start with measuring the power output (current at different voltages) from your collector, without knowing that you don't know enough to judge your efficiency and you are left to try things at random instead of testing the most promising things first.
Bored Chemist
Sun Jan 14 2007, 07:30PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
There are some interesting aspects of piezo transformers that make me wonder why we don't see them more often. The sort described here
Link2
seems typical and is used as a step up system. There's no reason why they are not reversible.
BTW, if you are getting sparks you are wasting power. Do you have any sort of data on the effective output impedance of your collector array?
CM
Sun Jan 14 2007, 09:10PM
CM Banned on April 7, 2007
Registered Member #277 Joined: Fri Mar 03 2006, 10:15AM
Thanks much for the piezo urls. Gotta admit I've had a rough time trying to measure the HV collector output due to three things, 1) my apparent lack of experience measuring HV, 2) I distroyed my only Oscope and quite a few meters trying, 3) seems whenever I attach any type measuring device to the collector side of the circuit through resistors, even small value resistors, all HV collection, or almost all, stops. The only signal remaining is the signal from radio stations which I am not interested in. My previous patents are in RF and shape memory alloy... so I remain in a HV learning curve for now. I'm sure the collector output can be measured, but months ago I got frustrated destoying so many meters, obviously not doing it correctly. Impedance of my system, I have no idea. The only guestimate of collector output is based on spark gap distances, some days/nights the sparks jump only a short gap, other days 1/2 inch and some days nearly a full inch, it changes constantly with the ion density, humidity, barometric pressure and the price of tea in China. Quite a while ago I hired a technical guy to come with his equipment and measure the output of a few of my collectors on a balloon, but even he ended up saying his was a wild guess (he was trying to measure the V and Amps of the spark itself). Possibly if there is an experienced 4hv.org member near Pensacola Florida, he/she can contact me and come by the test site and make the measurements, could be fun. CM
thedatastream
Mon Jan 15 2007, 08:20AM
thedatastream Registered Member #505 Joined: Sun Nov 19 2006, 06:42PM
Piezo transformers can be very effiecient, I've worked with them before for an LCD backlight.
You have to drive them on or around (typ ± 5kHz) their resonant frequency to get the best out of them.
IIRC, the ones I used were 28V input, 1500V output. You may well be able to drive them backwards.

Here is a good application note from Linear Technology on Piezo transformers - Link2,C1,C1003,C1042,C1035,D4170
Don't know of this is any good either - Link2

James

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: