All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
05/02 Alfredo Texacca (60)
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Availability of "geek group" capacitors

Move Thread LAN_403
The Zander
Sun Dec 31 2006, 06:13PM Print
The Zander Registered Member #295 Joined: Tue Mar 07 2006, 06:59PM
Does geekgroup.org still sell capacitors suitable for MMC banks? i can't seem to find anywhere on their website that indicates this.
Steve Ward
Sun Dec 31 2006, 09:40PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
They currently do not sell them, but plan to make them available again in the future.
J. Aaron Holmes
Sun Dec 31 2006, 11:22PM
J. Aaron Holmes Registered Member #477 Joined: Tue Jun 20 2006, 11:51PM
You can get them from Rell.com, but I've not been particularly happy with the customer service there; my first order was for the non-lead-free (lead-full?) variety, which was supposedly "on order". My order sat in the queue for two months, then "poof". It was gone. I called them and asked what happened, and was told that the non-lead-free variety were discontinued by CDE, so they had to cancel my order. That's nice, but how about an email or something! Sheesh!! Unfortunately, they're one of the only shows around selling these caps in smallish (~50 pieces) quantities, so I reluctantly placed a new order for the lead-free kind, and they did actually arrive smile
teravolt
Mon Jan 01 2007, 12:14AM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
Richarson Elecrtonics caries the 942c20p15k but they are restocking and Alied I think has the 42l3332 GE in stock
The Zander
Thu Jan 04 2007, 02:34AM
The Zander Registered Member #295 Joined: Tue Mar 07 2006, 06:59PM
i'm slightly confused, are CDE942 series caps and geek group caps the same thing?

Also, has anyone had good or bad experiences with the GE caps mentioned by teravolt? they look to me like a much more economical choice (330nf vs the 100nf of the CDE caps)
Part Scavenger
Thu Jan 04 2007, 03:08AM
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
IIRC, certain GE caps are good and others are bad. See Terry Fritz's site for the list of the bad ones. For the good GE ones, check out Daniel McCauley's (EasternVoltageResearch) site. And, IIRC, the CDE942's are the same as the geek group caps. You cannot get the same ones as you see most people use anymore, only the lead-free type which I and several others have used and have reported no problems thus far. They are a bit smaller in diameter and carry an extra letter in the part#. "Technically" they are more expensive, but Rell.com will sell them to you at the exact same price as the old ones if you ask.

Unfortunately, although Rell sells them for 2.58ea, they require a minimum order of 52. Allied Electronics, Digikey, and Arrow Electronics used to carry them for about $4ea. with no minium order.

Hope that helps
-Part Scavenger shades
Terry Fritz
Thu Jan 04 2007, 03:46AM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
i'm slightly confused, are CDE942 series caps and geek group caps the same thing?

Yes they are exactly the same. Many have the "-F" at the end now for RoHS compliance but that does not affect the cap in anyway.

The 42l3332 GE caps can be used as long as you stay within the voltage, RMS current, and Peak current ratings. Their specs and prices are sometimes nicer for DRSSTC type coils.

Link2

Now days, we have very good cap data from the manufacturers so the old "good bad" list has lost most of its meaning. We now know how to run the caps within their limits and what makes them fail if we don't.

Cheers,

Terry

sparky
Sat Feb 17 2007, 08:04AM
sparky Registered Member #530 Joined: Sat Feb 17 2007, 07:56AM
I got help with my capacitors from a local company. 100 new 0.68uF 1600VDC caps for free... talk about generosity!!

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: