Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
wpk5008 (34)

Next birthdays
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
05/09 AmonRa (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

The Foolproof 555 driver

Move Thread LAN_403
uzzors2k
Thu Dec 28 2006, 10:59PM Print
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
I was bored today, so I though revisiting the 555 flyback driver would be fun. I came up with the "foolproof" 555 driver, which can run from nearly any voltage and with a totally isolated 555. I've only run it from 24 volts so far, but the results are promising, a good 30kV. Once I make a low voltage MOT power supply I'll start pushing things. More info here. Link2 (scroll down to 555 driver MKII)

I've got two questions though, what should the breakdown voltage of the mosfets be? (Like the ratio between input and voltage spikes.) And why can't GDTs have an air gap?

1167346661 95 FT0 Et Flyback Mkii

1167346661 95 FT0 Dsc02718
Marko
Thu Dec 28 2006, 11:57PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
And why can't GDTs have an air gap?

Well obivously because you want coupling to be as high as possible for sharpest drive waveform.

Regarding it, 1:4 ratio looks like a lot of burned power and stress on zeners and driver.

IIRC, a 1:2 GDT is used in such configurations in order to keep mosfet's gate voltages equal to your +- supply voltage. A DC blocking cap may be used, and resistor is used on secondary side, rather than primary to prevent ringing. Similar to this, but with TC4422 instead of transistors: Link2

After all, GDT isn't actually needed for such circuit to work, and you may even be better without it once you debug the circuit.

Breakdown voltage of your mosfet is dictated by your primary inductance (lower inductance, lower amplitude of spike mosfet is going to see for same secondary voltage).

I would actually recommend using higher voltage mosfets or IGBT's, 500 or 600 volt like regardless of higher ON resistance.
This way it runs on smaller currents, reducing switching losses and leaves more space for twidling.

TV HO drivers after all use very high voltage transistors with often puny current ratings, and are pretty efficient in their job.

Steve Conner
Fri Dec 29 2006, 12:27AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
There is no reason why GDTs can't have an air gap, but there is no reason why they need one either. I've seen one exception to this: a base drive circuit for TV HOTs that uses the GDT in the flyback mode. Ie: you turn the drive transistor OFF to turn the HOT ON. This won't work without an air gap, because it uses the stored magnetic energy to drive the HOT. A core with no air gap can store practically no energy.

The voltage rating of the MOSFETs is a function of the transformer magnetizing inductance and the stray capacitance (both primary and secondary reflected) It's usual to place a small capacitor between drain and source of your MOSFETs to reduce the amplitude of the spikes. But remember, the bigger you allow the spikes to get, the higher the output voltage will be! The spike is just the peak output voltage, transformed by the turns ratio of the flyback. So high voltage transistors (like recommended by firkragg) are a good thing.

There is no such thing as foolproof.

PS: nice sparks uzzors! smile
Dr. Dark Current
Fri Dec 29 2006, 07:46AM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
I used the "standard" (without GDT) 555 flyback driver with great success, I was getting like 70kV from a standard DC flyback, with next to none mosfet's heating. The trick is to use a proper value "damper" capaitor (across D-S of the fet) which reduces mosfet heating and even increases output voltage (I know this is strange, but it usually works for me this way).
uzzors2k
Fri Dec 29 2006, 10:41AM
Thanks for the replies, I'll brush up the circuit and work out a proper GDT ratio.

Steve Conner wrote ...

There is no such thing as foolproof.

Good point.
uzzors2k
Tue Feb 06 2007, 05:36PM
w00t, I hit 70kV today. Running from 50 volts, 15 turns, single flyback.
1170783383 95 FT19295 75kv Fbd Mkii

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: