All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Exploding driver chip

Move Thread LAN_403
Tom540
Tue Dec 19 2006, 07:56AM Print
Tom540 Banned on 3/17/2009.
Registered Member #487 Joined: Sun Jul 09 2006, 01:22AM
Today when I was testing a board I had made and as I probed the power pins of a ucc37321 the chip exploded much like a mosfet does. I think I shorted an output pin to the +15 volt pin. I wonder if the 11,000uF worth of caps I have on the +15VDC line has anything to do with it. Still seems odd that the chip would try and put out enough power to send chunks of plastic into my face.
1166514928 487 FT0 Uccdeath
ragnar
Tue Dec 19 2006, 08:28AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
What usually happens to me with dying UCCs (I seem to be infamous for pushing them to stupid frequencies, stupid voltages and stupid powers) is smelly brown crap starts bubbling out a little pinhole or crack that forms above the output stage.

Because the outputs are so low impedance, it's easy to latch the chip by shorting one or other output to a rail. If he latches, he's as good as gone... Sometimes if you're quick, though, you can kill the power before they get too hot, and once they cool down again they're good to go.

I sand my multimeter probes down until they're sharp points to alleviate this issue, or solder sewing pins to them. =P
Bjørn
Tue Dec 19 2006, 08:42AM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
That happens from time to time. Some MOSFET driver chips seems to fail in that way fairly often. I did the same once with a 7805 regulator that is supposed to be short circuit proof.

When you short pins there can be significant currents, sometimes these currents take paths through the silicon that is not intended and they can cause transistors to latch up and the chip can malfunction in any number of bad ways.
Tue Dec 19 2006, 03:22PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
But the absolute best way to kill a ucc is to be using it in a topology with no GDT's, (ucc connected directly to the fets) and then get a fet that decides to short out on you. I once had a ucc blow up so violently I thought that an electrolytic cap had exploded! The top 1/2 of the chip completly blew off, and I don't think that the die is doing too well.

1166541698 56 FT19029 Img 2004
Avalanche
Tue Dec 19 2006, 04:49PM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
I've never blown up a driver chip that badly cheesey

In fact so far I've only destroyed one pair of UCCs from the bulk buy, and they just failed with no spectacular result mistrust

I noticed the UCCs seem to have what looks like a little hole in them, this really fooled me at first when I was having some problems with a coil; "what? UCCs blown again? And I don't think I even ran the coil this time!"
Andrea87
Tue Dec 19 2006, 05:59PM
Andrea87 Registered Member #494 Joined: Thu Nov 09 2006, 02:42AM
place a fast 325 or 400mA fuse on the supply of each gate driver, it will save your gate drivers.
allways remember to decouple the output of the drivers with a 0.3 to 1µF cap, depending on the frequency. I've just blown some drivers with my induction heater, next time I'll be much more careful about it!
Tom540
Wed Dec 20 2006, 04:42AM
Tom540 Banned on 3/17/2009.
Registered Member #487 Joined: Sun Jul 09 2006, 01:22AM
The chip didnt even have a gate drive transformer attached to it. I guess it must have latched low when my meter probe slipped and shorted the output to the +15V pin. I wonder if it could be pushed hard enough to do that driving a gate drive transformer? Honestly it's kinda of cool when the go violently instead of just heating up and fizzlling out.
Wed Dec 20 2006, 05:02AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
If you do not put external diodes on the output they can 'latch up' and short out , and if you have enough filter caps on the board that can be decently spectacular ;)
Colin 99
Thu Dec 21 2006, 03:10AM
Colin 99 Registered Member #192 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 03:08AM
Avalache,

The little hole is for the magic smoke to escape cry

I was building one of Dan McCulleys Plasmasonic boards and I had an inverting driver that was non-inverting. It took out two of my driver chips and I had to order more samples.

Shaun

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: