Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

PIRANHA-III Power control?

Move Thread LAN_403
Terry Fritz
Sun Dec 17 2006, 02:16AM Print
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
Hi,

I am working on PIRANHA III issues today. A dual MOT system that runs off a 120VAC 20A circuit with ease. It is in the 8 foot arc to ground range... About 2kW input at ~90% efficiency.

These coils like to run with the MOT input voltage at about 95-105 volts to stay out of the MOT saturation range which just waists precious current. Normally that is done with a 15 -20 amp variac...

Link2

Variacs are very nice, but they are real heavy and not real "modern" or solid state. The charging circuit (MOT / Primary Cap loop) is resonant too to drive up to a 15000 volt firing voltage... But the waveforms are pretty "tame" and the power factor is excellent without any fiddling.

Link2

It would be super cool to use a beefy lamp dimmer circuit or some similar cheap but very reliable solid state thing to control power other than the variac. The PIRANHA input section is very forgiving of sloppy input wave forms and all so no big deal there. Ceiling fan controllers are made for inductive loads (low power though)...

I don't know much about dimmer circuits and such so I can't guess at what to do and feed the computer models well. 0:-|

If anyone knows what to do to make a cheap hardy dimmer type circuit that could run two MOTs (~2kW) I am all ears smile

Cheers,

Terry

Sun Dec 17 2006, 04:23AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Could you copy steves design but only use a full wave rectifier (as opposed to doubler) arrangement?
Marko
Sun Dec 17 2006, 12:53PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
I tried a simple dimmer based upon this:
Link2
And a lashup looked like this:
Link2
(isolation transformer used).

And seemed to work nicely, driving inductive and pseudo-capacitive (rectifier+cap) loads without probs.

I only have it lashed up for now and I haven't driven anything bigger than small 300VA OBIT (just a bit more than an amp compared to your 15amps), but I feel like it might work since circuit follows the same point as Steve's dimmer (wich may not be in spirit of simplistic SiSG design).

'Pulse-train' oscillator is here substituted by simple diac-based relaxation oscillator.

Power factor is although, assured to go crazy, and you can't use PFC caps on MOT's because they will blow the triac up.

This is the secondary waveform I got from a small transformer at about 50% setting:

Link2

But, it never goes 'above' supply voltage and triac never turns off during the cycle.

This is resistive load for comparison:

Link2

With a dual MOT supply, triac must also stand the magnetizing current of enormous core so you might need something like 25..30amp triac.

I think it will work but surely not as nicely as a traditional variac...

davovinch
Sun Dec 17 2006, 01:01PM
davovinch Registered Member #293 Joined: Tue Mar 07 2006, 11:57AM
Hi Terry, Have you thought about a Router Speed Control. You can get them rated at 20 amps.
Regards,
Dave
Terry Fritz
Sun Dec 17 2006, 06:26PM
Hi,

Thanks Dave!!! And many thanks to all for the responses wink)

Figures 7 and 8 of ST's AN308 describe "pulse train" Triac firing which seems to be very good for really screwed up loads.

Link2

The circuit is simple and cheap wink) Steve Conner used a similar idea for his OLTC II supply but with much more control circuitry:

Link2

The best part is apparently the ST circuit is appearing in devices called "Router Speed Controls".

Link2

Some versions are less than $20 with free shipping wink)

Link2

I was about to get one till I saw this smile))))) $12.50 is a fair price I guess even if the router is "sold separately" wink)

Link2

I am not "sure" of the circuits inside them, so I would have to get one and take it apart. Also would disable the "full" switch setting which to too easy to hit be accident. They are all obviously of the same design with different cases. Everyone is dropping the prices on them since they are obviously very "cheap". Some might be "too cheap" wink) But others like the Grizzly one are probably made pretty well. Very convenient fuse location too. Probably easy to "enhance" the fuse value if needed :o)))

So I'll see if I can pick one up today and let you know what's in it. They "might" be a good "variac replacement" in general. I would think the PIRANHA would be a far more pleasant load than a router so it might work fine. If so, I will use the 15 amp version on PIRANHA-II

If they work, this was all waaaaay too easy wink))

Cheers,

Terry

Steve Conner
Sun Dec 17 2006, 11:27PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I suggested to use that ST application circuit Firkragg found, a while back. My own one should work: I was able to dim transformers and motors with it by removing the two SCRs from the doubler, connecting them in inverse parallel, and putting that in series with the hot line. The two gate drives are isolated, so the SCRs can be connected any way you like. But it's really a bit complex. Hopefully the router speed controller should do the same thing, I'm looking forward to see if it works! smile

I imagine the main problem would be spikes from the "spark gap" feeding back through the MOTs, and the high dv/dt of these spikes causing the triac in the controller to self-trigger. Hopefully the leakage inductance of the MOTs (quite a lot if you leave the shunts in place) should filter that out, though.
Terry Fritz
Mon Dec 18 2006, 02:31AM
Hi,

The Router Controller is just a plain dumb dimmer circuit with heavy duty parts. I little report is here:

Link2

The internal circuit is a standard simple Triac dimmer type circuit with minimal parts.

I t appears they are "all the same" since the external layout of various version is identical.

Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2

A company in China probably turns out a million an hour tongue I was a little surprised to see the "ST" triac in it, but realizing that in China "any part" can be "labeled as you wish" wink

However, it might be simple to "add" a few parts to it for the ST pulse design... It has most of the "stuff" all there ready to go as is...

Hmmmmmm...

The MOTs I used are not modified.

Cheers,

Terry

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: