All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
05/02 Alfredo Texacca (60)
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

tesla coil/RF theory

Move Thread LAN_403
IamSmooth
Tue Dec 12 2006, 02:53PM Print
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
I am in the process of tuning my primary and secondary. I was reading in an old RF handbook that when the two are matched and I feed the resonant frequency into the primary with a signal generator there is a peak on the secondary just to the left and right of the resonant frequency. I can pick this up with a meter long antenna attached to my oscilloscope probe. Why is there a double hump and not just a peak at the resonant frequency?
Steve Ward
Tue Dec 12 2006, 07:50PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
What you are experiencing is what some call "Frequency splitting". Why does this happen? The cause is due to having 2 resonant circuits coupled to eachother (and note, that the coupling is relatively loose so the effects are small, making the 2 humps close together). There are a few ways of explaining this, i will go with the way that i sorta understand. Energy is transfered between 2 coupled circuits at a certain frequency (depending on the coupling). This frequency is generally much lower than the resonant frequency for tesla coils. The effect is the multiplication of 2 cosines, one being the "carrier" and the other the "modulation" if you like. From trigonometry, we see that when 2 cosines are multiplied such as cos(m)*cos(c), the result is 1/2cos(c-m) + 1/2cos(c+m) (using c for carrier, and m for modulation). Notice that you now have 2 frequencies, one slightly above the natural resonance, and the other slightly below, each containing half of the average energy content of the system (i have to say average, because the energy is actually shifting between these 2). Its interesting to note that this "modulation" frequency goes UP when the coupling is increased, thus you will find the 2 peaks get pushed further apart.

There is another way of viewing this phenomenon which involves the secondary circuit seeing some of the primary capacitance, and the primary circuit seeing some of the secondary inductance, causing the resonant frequency of of the secondary to drop, and the primary to raise slightly, thus again, the double peak.

The natural Fo is in the middle of these 2.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Tue Dec 12 2006, 08:04PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Try to get some simulation software from somewhere. PSpice is pretty good. It has answered a lot of my questions through simulation and evaluation.

What you're looking at is a 2 LCR system, a 4th order differential equation. You can tune it for one peak but its pretty hard to get there. Solving it by by hand would be pretty rough business, I know because I've had a couple of 4th order projects and they were a mess.

I think the double peak is a result of the damping of both LCR circuits. If they had only complex components then you would have an oscillator. And if both systems were in the same resonance you would have a very large peak. But since they have real losses damping comes into play. The primary resistance being a few tenths of an ohm, and the secondary being a few tens of ohms, you can see how the one resonance is shifted away from the other slightly.

What I would recommend is checking out your results in a solvable manner, like 2 second order differentials. Then you can put your secondary resistance in and primary resistance in for both second order equns'. and see how the solutions vary.
Then you could take the secondary's solution and use it to solve for primary L, knowing your C and R values.
Sulaiman
Tue Dec 12 2006, 09:10PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
You could have a play with this applet
Link2
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Tue Dec 12 2006, 09:30PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
I played with the applet to find the critical coupling and I think its really interesting.

With a 4th order spring mass system for our Physics projects we were seeing the fast (carrier) and slow (modulation) frequencies regardless of any coupling being introduced. The fast and slow frequencies were purely characteristic to the values of the springs and masses chosen. And since this is the mechanical analog to an LC circuit, I payed little attention to the coupling of the circuit.

It looks like the instructors generalities have come back to haunt me once again.
IamSmooth
Tue Dec 19 2006, 12:34AM
Ok, so there is a peak above and below the resonant frequency. My coil is ready to go. I have measured the resonant frequency of the coil to be 125KHz and I have tuned the primary to this value. When I connect the secondary and drive the primary with a sinusoidal signal at 125Khz the Fl = 116Khz and Fh = 135. This gives me a coupling coeff = 0.15 with a 3.7% difference between the two (calculation are approximations).

My theoretical question is this: If the primary resonates at 125, and my peak voltages occur at 116 and 135, how do I get high voltage output if the "sweet spots" are 10Khz above and below the system's resonanting frequency?
Steve Conner
Tue Dec 19 2006, 09:00AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
It's a long story. I've tried explaining it to dozens of people over the years, and as far as I can tell, not one of them understood it, except a 70-something retired mechanical engineer who knew all about coupled resonant modes and stuff, from doing vibration analysis of machines.

I'm going to try one last time though:

1) When the primary and secondary coils are brought into coupling, they DO NOT RESONATE AT THE SAME FREQUENCIES THEY DID BEFORE when they were apart.

2) It is now POINTLESS to try and think of the two coils as separate resonators. They work together as a fourth-order resonator with two new resonant frequencies. Both coils respond to both frequencies (and a Tesla resonator produces HV output when driven at either frequency, or even both simultaneously, which is effectively what a spark-gap driver does)

3) Altering the circuit constants of either coil will change both of the coupled resonant frequencies.

There is no mental trick to visualise the system made from simpler building blocks: you just have to learn the concept of a fourth-order resonator. (As a bonus, you'll then understand how bass reflex loudspeakers work too.)
IamSmooth
Tue Dec 19 2006, 05:37PM
Thanks Steve. Actually, if I accept the fact that they *resonate* at these two frequencies as a coupled unit I do understand your answer. I was thinking that they resonated at the frequency when they were apart; you've cleared up that is the Flow and/or the Fhigh to which they resonate.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: