Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Top loads

Move Thread LAN_403
IamSmooth
Sat Dec 09 2006, 11:04PM Print
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
Is there any benefit or disadvantage with regards to streamer length by using larger toroids for a top-load? I understand that changing the dimensions affects the capacitance and that the capacitance affects the secondary self-resonant frequency.

For example, I have a six inch secondary that is thirty inches tall. I can use a toroid that is a 4" diameter tube and vary the wheel diameter from 8" to say 12 or 15". Or, I might want to use a 6" diameter tube. How do I determine which is best?
ragnar
Sun Dec 10 2006, 12:08AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
I think the mentality behind toploads increasing streamer length is that the topload acts A) as a capacitor and B) to suppress breakout.

The topload, as a capacitor, can swing with the secondary and 'charge up' (resonate) over a few cycles, storing energy. Where the top turn of the coil would otherwise discharge to air, the size (assuming it's smooth) of the topload will inhibit streamer formation until it reaches a much higher voltage.

When a streamer eventually grows from the topload, it's longer, because premature breakout without a topload from the secondary alone would occur at a lower voltage.

If the power of your coil is appropriate, I suppose bigger is better... assuming it doesn't inhibit breakout completely.

The gurus will have much more useful things to say. :P
Steve Ward
Sun Dec 10 2006, 01:53AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
I find that generally, the toroid outer diameter should be about the same as the secondary height. But in you can probably get by fine with a little less, maybe 24" diameter. If the toroid is too small, you dont get enough energy stored in the topload, and this seems to limit spark length. If the toroid is too big, then the capacitance is too large and you limit the voltage too much to grow the sparks out.
Sun Dec 10 2006, 04:40AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
this is just speculation but...

Terry has shown in his drsstc work that streamer length is limited by 2 things, voltage and current; whichever is lower. We know that bigger topload = higher voltage, until the point where it won't break out anymore. And we know that streamers have a fixed resistance, which would imply that the current for the streamer is inversely proportional to the voltage. So there should be a 'sweet spot' where the streamers are longest...

me speculates...
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sun Dec 10 2006, 05:15AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
IIRC my simulation showed that the toroid should be 2x Cself of the secondary for maximum output.
Terry Fritz
Sun Dec 10 2006, 06:35AM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
Hi,

For maximum streamer length, nothing is "too big" as long as you can break out from it. My SISG coil does not break out without a "point" at its "present" limited power level.

Link2

But it might be cooler at higher powers without a point:

Link2

I "know things" to sort of drive towards "optimal"... But nothing concrete or useful "yet"... Now that I have been "fired" buy that mean old Tesla list moderator tongue I hope to have more time to work on such "cool " things amazed

But at maximum top voltage, the added current from the secondary coil is "zero". It is "all" stored energy in the capacitance of the top load... Bigger top load = lower voltage but more current. Smaller top = more voltage but less current... Probably a "perfect" impedance function there... Complicated by streamer growth...

Hmmmmm....

Cheers,

Terry

BTW - If you are not usng ball terminals, you are way behind cheesey

Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sun Dec 10 2006, 08:29AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Interesting you mention ball terminals Terry, I was dabbling with 6" ball electrodes back in 2000 and I had terrible performance compared with a toroid. The performance was such that I just threw the spheres away.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: