All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
05/02 Alfredo Texacca (60)
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Starter questions

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Stuart G.
Sat Dec 09 2006, 11:15AM Print
Stuart G. Registered Member #495 Joined: Thu Nov 09 2006, 01:29PM
Hi
I've been attempting to design a small sstc

After looking at the full bridge configuration, i thought that it might be too complicated for a first coil.

Therefore I have designed a driver based on the push pull topology.

First question, can anyone see a problem with my proposed driver circuit?

Second, do I need to limit the current entering the primary?

I would be using the cmos version of the 555

I've attached my scematic, its an ltspice file and I've also attached a picture of the schematic
]1165662951_495_FT0_schematic.zip[/file]

Schematic: Link2

MOD Edit: changed the schematic to a linked image instead of an image embedded in the post, as it messed up the forum format (and a 3MB BMP might be a killer for the people still using dialup)
Marko
Sat Dec 09 2006, 11:53AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Oush pull drive will just be a source of trouble.

Unless you turn it into class E you'l be able to un on very low powers, few tens of watts at most.

SInce coupling between two primaries is low you are practically operating it like a double-ended flyback converter, resulting in large voltage spikes (many times supply voltage). 10ohm resistors in series with priamry will do nothing but be enormous heaters!

Your gate drive is also overly complicated; Simple driver chips that you can get sampled (UCC's, 442x's) proven to beat any discrete-component drive yet.

Half or full bridge with GDT is actually less tricky thing than this.

I would also recommend an antenna for self-resonant operation; when bridge coil is always in tune there's practically no need for fast diodes across mosfet's.

Avalanche
Sat Dec 09 2006, 07:15PM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
Yeah I would have to agree, and say you go for a halfbridge for your first coil, as opposed to push-pull. You can still get a decent performer with a halfbridge. If you really don't want to go to the hassle of sourcing some dedicated gate driver chips for a first project, the easiest approach would probably be to use a push-pull arrangement similar to the above - but to drive a gate drive transformer, with a center tapped primary and two secondaries for the halfbridge fets.

Feedback is helpful to get the coil to stay in tune when drawing arcs, etc. You might want to look at Steve Ward's coils, where he uses a 555 to generate the initial signal, but then once the coil is running the antenna 'swamps out' the signal from the 555. You can leave out the antenna until you have everything working, then add it last to make your coil self tuning.
Tom540
Thu Dec 14 2006, 05:50AM
Tom540 Banned on 3/17/2009.
Registered Member #487 Joined: Sun Jul 09 2006, 01:22AM
That circuit you made is very similar to the one I tried out before I found 4HV. If anyone wants to try this circuit I made go for it. I was trying to brush up on my schematic capture skills for a new job I just got. The schematic needs work but its useable. There are a few caps with no values yet and the bypass caps on ic's and gate drivers are not shown. Let me know how it works or if it doesn't. Set up the LM567 caps as shown on the datasheet. Then twist the pot until the freq lock led lights. You can also use it with an antenna.

]1166075316_487_FT18810_drsstc2.pdf[/file]
Stuart G.
Sun Dec 17 2006, 06:29PM
any suggestions for a driver chip for a half/full bridge?

would I need anyhing other than pwm for current liming?
Marko
Sun Dec 17 2006, 07:31PM
Just use one UCC37322 and one 37321 in a 'H bridge' for gate drive, and one 74HC14 to square up your feedback signal.
Practically nothing more is needed for a sucessful SSTC, and this approach is probably most used so far.

Steve ward's mini SSTC is basically that, the NE555 is interrupter that actually isn't necessary.
Bridge can be half or full, depending on your wish.

Link2

Stuart G.
Tue Dec 19 2006, 12:44AM
what are all the inverting buffers for?
Tom540
Tue Dec 19 2006, 07:42AM
Tom540 Banned on 3/17/2009.
Registered Member #487 Joined: Sun Jul 09 2006, 01:22AM
The buffers are used to clean up the signal comming from the current transformer or antenna so that they are useable by the driver chips.

On my circuit I have a few extra ones which are used to open and close the transmission gates according to wether or not the circuit detects the right frequency comming from the CT or antenna. If the incomming freq is off then the circuit ouputs the oscillator frequency. I tested the circuit I posted tonight and it does work with a signal generator. The LM567 should be setup to have a very narrow bandwidth. the cap on pin2 should be greater than 1uF.
ragnar
Tue Dec 19 2006, 08:24AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
You only need one inverting buffer... I think Steve just put six there because there are six in the chip.. that doesn't mean you have to use them all. wink

Just make sure any free inputs are tied to ground and the outputs left open.
Marko
Tue Dec 19 2006, 10:02AM

Seriesing all the inverters makes no use at all, except it may be handy to do on pcb and ensure none of gates are floating. I guess it was just Steve Ward's passion.

Maybe a better idea would be to paralell remaining 5 drivers, to speed up input switching times for UCC's. (although I doubt it would also make any noticeable difference).
Steve did this in his first DRSSTC driver, IIRC.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: