Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Earth Ground for Apartment Dwellers

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Tetrafluoroethane
Tue Feb 21 2006, 01:04PM Print
Tetrafluoroethane Registered Member #127 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 03:36PM
I am an apartment dweller looking for tips on grounding my Tesla coil properly. I have just begun to operate my first Tesla coil and I suspect I have an insufficient ground connection. So far I have had two nightly runs with a topload in place and have managed to blow a network card in my firewall. Interestingly enough a previous test of the primary circuit alone and a later test of a totally ungrounded secondary had no such effect. I only have limited access to a patch of earth and I don't know what is burried under it.

My attempt at grounding was to drive a 1/2" copper pipe 2.5' into the the flower bed in front of my patio and using a normal grounding clamp to attach to it. Running from the base of the secondary to the grounding stake is approx 10' of 12ga stranded THHN wire. The wire is attached to the secondary using a spade male connector into a blade female connector (rigged I am sure, but it seems quite solid and those were the only two semi-matching connectors I had).

In my extensive browsing of the web and reading about the entire archive for 4hv.org, I have very infrequently found any detailed mention of what other coilers are using for ground. Is solid or stranded wire better? Is 12ga too small? How do you connect it to the secondary? What length is acceptable for a ground? Should it be a very straight wire or is it okay if the wire curves around a bit? I know my stake should probably be longer, but how long is sufficient? Or have I just found a network cable that happens to be really good at picking up whatever frequency energy this coil emits (350KHz approx calculated). Should I be connecting the house ground to this ground to suppliment the house ground? Thank you all in advance for your time.

Coil Specs:
- Pimary: 14 turn, 0.25" flat spiral (tapped about 13 turns)
- Secondary: 4.5" dia., ~740 turns 21ga enameled wire
- Cap: 0.008nF MMC, 50kV
- Power: 15kV, 30mA NST
- Filters: RC between tank & NST
- Gap: 10 segment static gap, 1" copper pipe.
Michael W.
Tue Feb 21 2006, 03:33PM
Michael W. Registered Member #50 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:07AM
I can't really answer your question, but DO NOT hook it to your house ground whatever you do.....
Tetrafluoroethane
Tue Feb 21 2006, 03:37PM
When you say don't hook it to the house ground, do you mean don't have any connection between the two? Or don't attempt to ground it ONLY through the house? The latter I know better than to attempt. The former I don't see much problem with since my grounding stake should take all the RF energy out of the line. I was just wondering if some noise was being fed back up the house ground from the NST.
Michael W.
Tue Feb 21 2006, 03:39PM
Michael W. Registered Member #50 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:07AM
I mean right into mains ground....
EEYORE
Tue Feb 21 2006, 05:59PM
EEYORE Registered Member #99 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:10PM
ForceLabs wrote ...

I mean right into mains ground....
I use the mains ground all the tirme with no problems. And i live in an apartment as well(on the bottom level) It depends on your power level, and ive run at over 1kw with a drsstc with no trouble. Id say a standard SGTC would likely be worse due to the spark gap though. Perhaps you ought to think of solid state?Another idea is a counterpoise. Make a ground plane using Al foil or chicken wire...

Matt
williamn
Tue Feb 21 2006, 08:42PM
williamn Registered Member #55 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:56AM
I just recently moved from a 3rd floor apt. I used mains ground for my DRSSTCs and SSTCs as well with no problems. I did blow out my wireless router when running my 12/30 powered SGTC. SGTCs are notoriuos for wreaking havoc with ones consumer electronics.
HV Enthusiast
Tue Feb 21 2006, 08:45PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
i'd use a couterpoise ground, of course if you have wooden floors (as opposed to concrete which might contain beams, rebar, etc...) i'm not sure of the implications of how well the ground would act.

A 4x4 sheet of chicken wire should suffice for your coil.

Sulaiman
Tue Feb 21 2006, 08:56PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
From an emi point of view;
A long wire to an external EARTH will form a transmitting element
due to rf inevitably finding power earth via building wiring.
The only way you can ensure low radiation is
to make your experimental area into a faraday cage
which goes to your mains earth, no external earth.

If you're CERTAIN that your TC will not arc to building wiring
(light fittings, wall sockets, your equipment etc.)
then a counterpoise works well
When I lived in an apartment
I too used Aluminium cooking foil in a long strip laid across the floor.
I connected it to mains earth.
Had to be able to return the room to my wife on-demand ;)

For some unknown reason
my wife still doesn't appreciate the value
of making rooms
into Faraday cages.

..... back to the shed for me.
Tetrafluoroethane
Tue Feb 21 2006, 09:52PM
I have always heard using the mains ground for a disruptive system is a big no-no due to the massive amount of noise introduced into the system so you don't have to worry about me attempting that. wink In addition, the impedence of normal mains ground (unless you are connecting to it right at the distribution panel) is way too high for a disruptive coil.

I believe I also forgot to mention, I am actually operating the coil outside. It was about 10' away from the network cable the first time it blew the nic. The second time I had moved it 20' away.

I think am going to try a larger (maybe 8ga.) and shorter ground wire tonight, as well as a longer grounding stake. I didn't think about the long ground wire actually acting as an antenna (I was too focused on the other end of the secondary), but that makes sense. And I am thinking about ordering an EMI line filter to try to capture any additional EMI shooting back into my mains.

I only have 1 spare NIC left so if I blow it again tonight I will have to move to the garage (and hopefully not destroy the garage door openers in the other units). Man, 3 nics in 3 days would hurt. cry Not to mention my highly tolerant girlfriend might start getting tired of helping me take my firewall out of the rack each night. cheesey
vasil
Tue Feb 21 2006, 10:16PM
vasil Registered Member #229 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 07:33PM
i used all kinds of grounding: solid and stranded, strait or with curves, clips or screws. It is ok, but the grounding wire has to be solid connected with the secondary bottom and having a sure ground connection (I was using my water pipe, for all my coils). I am thinking that the problems are related with the back EMP into the mains. I prefer to not run electronic stuff while i run my coils. Get an EM filter for the NST input. It is possible to see a bit lowering in performance.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: