Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Flyback driver on mains?

Move Thread LAN_403
cbfull
Tue Dec 05 2006, 02:04PM
cbfull Registered Member #187 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:54PM
I searched my files at home and found the picture of the globe filled with industrial purity argon (not as pure as it should be for plasma globes).

I have been thinking about the MOSFET gate capacitor question, and the only thing I can come up with relates to the pull-up resistors. In the drawing, the pull-up resistors would be connected between the blocking caps and the gates, so I am getting the feeling that they are still necessary for a self-starting circuit. If I could set it up (no space for projects right now) I would just test it and be done with it, but that will have to wait, possibly a while.

1165327438 187 FT18570 Argon Plasma 1
Marko
Mon Dec 11 2006, 02:51PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Hi guys...

OK, I got some clue how should such a thing look.

I settled around this relatively simple Link2 halogen lamp 'electronic transformer'.

The trick they use is a small, separate current transformer, with small core cross section connected in series with 'main' transformer.

Small core will saturate much before the main transformer without producing a noticeable effect for the circuit, making it much more robust.

I believe the current transformer is usual small 3:3:5 toroid.

Starting circuit is diac based, and little filtering is used so it retriggers oscillator with each cycle, and keeps power factor high.

If I get time I'l try to have some fun with it, and hopefully put some more serious power through.

MOSFET's could probably also be used if current transformer is redone.
Dr. Dark Current
Mon Dec 11 2006, 06:59PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Firkragg wrote ...

Hi guys...

OK, I got some clue how should such a thing look.

I settled around this relatively simple Link2 halogen lamp 'electronic transformer'.

The trick they use is a small, separate current transformer, with small core cross section connected in series with 'main' transformer.

Small core will saturate much before the main transformer without producing a noticeable effect for the circuit, making it much more robust.

I believe the current transformer is usual small 3:3:5 toroid.

Starting circuit is diac based, and little filtering is used so it retriggers oscillator with each cycle, and keeps power factor high.

If I get time I'l try to have some fun with it, and hopefully put some more serious power through.

MOSFET's could probably also be used if current transformer is redone.

I tried exactly this circuit a while ago, but it couldn't start oscillating, I'm sure I had the current transformer done wrong, since I had no idea how many turns and what core to use. Any info on this is appreciated.
Marko
Mon Dec 11 2006, 09:24PM
In practically all such circuits I seen small transformer is a 5:3:3, 5:2:2 etc. usually on a small toroid.
Old CFL's also have such a transformer.

Other things are relatively optional in this circuit, base RC-s are just to make transistor's delays less significant.

Steve Conner
Tue Dec 12 2006, 11:23AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
If the load isn't highly resonant enough, that little transformer sets the oscillation frequency of the circuit by saturating, so it's not as simple to design as it looks. If you get it wrong, the frequency could plummet when you pull an arc, and if it falls low enough the flyback itself could saturate and blow your transistors out. My advice would be to just steal the transformer out of a burnt-out low-energy lamp. Or forget it and drive the devices off an ordinary TL494 arrangement. These self-drive circuits only really come into their own for BJTs, which need a base drive current proportional to the collector current for efficient running. I wouldn't bother if I was using MOSFETs or IGBTs.

FWIW, I think that PC power supplies with BJTs actually use a cross between self-drive and the TL494. I'm sure I saw one with a winding on the base drive transformer that carries the halfbridge output current, as well as a winding driven by a TL494 and a couple of small transistors.

PS, I hate those $%&£(! electronic halogen light transformers, they are the reason why I can't use my HF radio unless I turn all the kitchen lights out mad
Marko
Tue Dec 12 2006, 01:01PM
But, heck, if we use TL494, requiring all the gate drive and additional power supply mess, simplicity and idea of such exclusively off-line driver would be ruined.

I would also like ot use the circuit as small switched power supply, simple enough to be cost-effective over 50Hz transformers.

Core-saturation current transformer is, although tricky, probably simplest way to provide square-like base drive to transistors in such circuit.

Since it's halfbridge uber cheap transistors can be used, and considering just an amp of input current is enough to blow most flybacks up at that voltage there's a really wide choice of them.

Lots of stronger CFL's and smaller halogen supplies use BUT11A's with 5:3:3 transformer (that can be dug out) so I would start around there.

For interference thing, it may be a good idea to somehow eliminate the diac and LC network and use real filtering with a big cap, with some other way to start the circuit.

This would make power factor worse but I think it would actually eliminate HF noise and sharp harmonics fed back into mains.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: