Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
wpk5008 (34)

Next birthdays
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
05/09 AmonRa (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Rebuilding VTTC

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Terry Fritz
Mon Dec 28 2020, 02:01AM Print
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
Hello,

I am rebuilding and older duel 811 tube coil to a dual 572B coil.
The coil is actually in good working condition but I am changing out the weaker parts to best of bread ones. The older 811 Svetlana tubes have gotten holes burned through the plates and stuff. ;)
I am not very knowledgeable about tube coil things so I have run into some questions.
Here are the pictures, schematic and parts list (last two links).

Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2

Questions:
1. The original microwave caps out of the microwave transformer were 1.786uF (C1) but I am changing them to two new caps I had to 2.381uF at 2500VAC total. I am thinking the exact value of these caps is not critical at all?

2. There is that C2 cap at 10kV 1nF. Does it really do anything useful at all or is it just eyewash and can be removed?

3. The plate transformer (T3) has two ~2nF caps across the heater winding. Do they really do anything at all either? If such parts really are useless I will remove them.

4. The grid leak thing has a 8.1 kOhm 30 watt resistor in parallel with a 2.2nF 2kV ceramic cap (C6 R1). This was original to the dual 811's. Should it be changed for dual 562Bs?
Any other suggests are welcome and thank you for your consideration!

Terry
RoV IW3IPD
Mon Dec 28 2020, 03:40PM
RoV IW3IPD Registered Member #64746 Joined: Sat Sept 08 2018, 09:22PM
Hi Terry, my thoughts:
1. you will overload a bit the transformer, hopefully getting a bit more power. Shouldn't be a great problem
2, 3, 4: all those caps are necessary to bypass RF, but the voltage rating for C4,C5,C6 can be lowered. Since 1 nF has a reactance of 447 ohm at 356 kHz, I would suggest a higher capacitance for C4/C5, like 10 nF, but a 250 V rating is more than adequate for them: they are required, because the cathode RF current flows on both heater wires and must be bypassed to GND. I would also at least double the capacitance of C2, but in that case the voltage rating is ok.
I would try a smaller number of turns for the grid winding, after all you need a peak grid voltage around 1/10th of the plate voltage. Besides, I would wind them in the bottom side of the primary. You could try with a separate temporary winding with - say - 5 turns and see what happens.
Changing the grid coil will require adjustment also to the grid resistor, where I would expect a lower dissipation.
Nice job, thanks for sharing!
Roberto
Terry Fritz
Wed Dec 30 2020, 12:14AM
Hi Roberto,

Many thanks for your input!

I will leave all the caps in. I won't change any of the values yet since it works right now and I don't want to break it. :)

I now see what the caps are doing. The same things those NST filters were doing to filter the RF out of the outer windings of NSTs.

Link2

I should have remembered what "that guy" was doing there! 0:D

Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2

I have the ability to directly measure currents and voltages so I might play around seeing what all is there.

I bought this coil like 20 years ago on Ebay and it has always worked very well. But I really don't know how it works so I thought I would fix it up and figure it out now.

I actually have a computer simulation of it going now.

Link2
Link2
Link2

It's very preliminary but it sort of runs and allows me to fiddle with things while I learn. After messing with the model I refined the values and it should actually be running at 407kHz.

Antonio's INCA program was super useful!

Link2

Link2

I got the secondary measurements all wrong since it was installed in the coil and very hard to measure in place. It is actually 800 turns of #27 wire and the INCA program found this error right away!

So I think I am off to a good start figuring this coil out. :)

Best Regards,
Terry
RoV IW3IPD
Wed Dec 30 2020, 09:21AM
Hi Terry,
I think the simulation model lacks a diode with a resistor in series from grid to GND, in order to model grid rectification on the positive side of sinusoids.
I have read your notes on NSTs... When I was young (I suppose it was 1979), for my first TC I used an ignition transformer coming from an old centralized boiler. I made the mistake of connecting the secondary in parallel to the cap, with the spark in series with the coil and in this way I burned one of the two secondaries. I had to drill through the resin to remove the damaged winding and save the remaining half transformer... fortunately it was still usable.
RoV IW3IPD
Wed Dec 30 2020, 09:43AM
I have found one photo with my first TC cheesey , from a demo of a few years ago. It still works.
It's the second from the left and the missing secondary is still visible. There is also a paper-oil capacitor to limit the primary current and avoid a resistor on the HV.
1st and 2nd from the left are mine, the others belong to a friend.

photo
Terry Fritz
Thu Dec 31 2020, 06:40AM
Hi Roberto,

Thanks for the tip about the grid diode! I never thought about that before.

The models are starting to look sort of real now.

Link2
Link2

I am sort of guessing about the grid and anode resistors. Any idea as to if that is close or not?

I tried to make real tube models using current sources and all to match the real tube specs. But I got overwhelmed and it would not run yet. So I bailed out back to using just the simple relay for the moment now.

I just got all the parts in to fix the coil so I will work on getting it all running nice.

Once it is running I can use voltage and current probes all over to get real actual readings and data to study! !:)
Then I can work on real tuning and all that.

This is great fun! China still makes tubes and can supply them quick (10 days over Christmas direct from Shenzhen) and not super expensive ($70 with shipping). Amazon sells all kinds of microwave parts very cheap!
Neon sigh transformers are getting very hard to find and super expensive. Not sure what the solid state guys are up to these days but tube coils are very practical right now.

Thanks so much for your help!

Terry
RoV IW3IPD
Thu Dec 31 2020, 10:05AM
Terry, the grid diode should be reversed.
You can find tube spice models around, specially in diyaudio forum. There are models
ready for the LTSpice free simulator, for which there are also builtin tube drawing symbols
Terry Fritz
Thu Dec 31 2020, 10:46AM
"Terry, the grid diode should be reversed."

OH!!!!! Shows how much I know about tubes :DD

I have run Linux for the past 20 years now so Window's LTspice is odd... QUCS was the next thing on google that runs everywhere...... :)

Qucs as been in the beta software development stage now for 16 years so that is a giant plus! :D

Of course, all the simulators are just the same. Same s***, different decade... :D

What really matters is getting the real readings to match the simulators. That's what really counts.

Simulation are fun time wasters while waiting for parts to arrive, but the parts are here now!!!

Stay tuned :)

Terry
Terry Fritz
Sun Jan 03 2021, 03:35AM
Hi,

I have been playing with my toob coil things.

Mostly working on the primary circuits.

This is the latest schematic model.

Link2

I went through 4 circuit simulators now……... and LTspice is working the best. All the other suffered ‘bazaar’ failures… :p
I run in Linux Windows simulators, so yeah...

Working on the C2 1nF original filter cap thing. Without any cap there is like 100Vac riding on the rail (blue trace, ignore the yellow stuff). The microwave transformer seems to have about 170uH of reactance.

Link2

So I simply stuck a 10nF 2000V MMC cap on it and the noise is vastly reduced!

Link2

The inductance of these transformers makes them worthless for draining RF and also makes then susceptible to damage from RF….

MMC type caps have like a rating of 2.5 Arms for decades and even though I am doing low power testing the current is use trivial for poly caps.

Link2

Just some pics for reference and for those that think I just make this stuff up. :)

Link2
Link2

So I have figured out the C2 rail cap thing… I think the caps across the plate transformer will be super easy to figure now too. ;)

So I looked at the grid voltages in the low power case….

Link2

That looks like a mess in over voltage and the computer models for the tube (so far) do not track it at all….
The model suggest that 2.5nF might be a far better tuning for the Primary cap…..
Of course this coils likes to blow things up so adjustments are expected. :D

The computer model track things like the Fo frequency perfectly (357kHz)! Even with all those mutual inductances. But other things need a lot of work…

I run at very low power right now with old tubes in case it all messes up. =:D

T.
RoV IW3IPD
Sun Jan 03 2021, 10:26PM
nice!
But the last figure (the grid voltage) doesn't seem taken on the grid: it seems taken on Cfeed, where it would make sense. Very high voltage, according to me due to an excessive number of turns on the feedback coil.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: