Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
Next topic »   

playing with x-rays may get you raided and maybe fined!

Move Thread LAN_403
JonIverson
Mon Oct 21 2019, 03:26PM Print
JonIverson Registered Member #2300 Joined: Sun Aug 16 2009, 01:49PM
True story. It happened to a friend of mine in the US two years ago. He was visited by the FBI who searched his home. Beyond that, I don't know what happened other than the fact that he stopped doing anything with x-rays and/or talking about his x-ray experiences online. He said he was "lucky". I personally know of at least one individual in the UK this happened to also. He used to take a good many radiographs with his DIY set ups and put the images online. Not anymore.

IIRC, x-ray equipment is to be in the hands of licensed individuals only. I believe it is illegal for an individual to have a commercial assembled device otherwise.

Some of the outputs I see people experimenting here with are dangerous beyond the norm! Something most lead is going to have a hard time stopping. Most standard radiation meters don't detect x-rays properly either.

I'm just trying to warn people. Neither of the individuals I mention above saw anyone coming to their doors and visits were a total surprise. The more you talk about or order stuff online, the greater the chance you will be visited and/or fined.

Sorry to rain on the parade, but trying to keep folks out of trouble. Thanks for understanding.
Sulaiman
Tue Oct 22 2019, 06:06AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
AFAIK in UK the limits for hobby use are 30 keV and 1 uSv/hr @ 100mm.
Conundrum
Sat Mar 07 2020, 09:14AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Irony, the thing that got me raided was trying to obtain 22Na: that tripped some alarm or other.
paulj
Wed Mar 11 2020, 06:19AM
paulj Registered Member #59353 Joined: Sun Apr 17 2016, 02:08PM
Hello, I don't know French law completely, but I believe that practicing radiology without authorization and using the x-ray is prohibited "purely and simply", there isn't limit for amateurs.
I try to be careful what I post on youtube, (rush, and the description)

The last time, I had a comment on my last video, a person who wanted the plans of my machine, to make it.
I believe that if a person asks this kind of question, i supposed they know nothing about radiation protection, I don't disseminate this kind of information.
When I built my own machine, I knew the fundamentals, but I needed more precise information, I never asked for the diagram, as if it were a simple "Lego game ".

Moreover here is a link from my last video to show you that even with a small power supply (40kv 8ma), very dangerous doses of radiation are produced, with homemade machine, and flyback tv transformer.

Link2

PaulJ
Conundrum
Tue Sept 22 2020, 04:52AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Incidentally I found a way to generate low energy X rays using a tube and UV laser.
As its of general interest I've chosen a rather unusual method of release, such that it can be found
on the torrents and elsewhere.
Mrkva
Fri May 07 2021, 03:49AM
Mrkva Registered Member #2655 Joined: Wed Jan 27 2010, 04:09PM
Mind sharing (at least some search keywords)? Few searches came short... Thanks :)

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: