Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

2S2P series/parallel capacitor + extra connection

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Signification
Mon Jul 22 2019, 03:36AM Print
Signification Registered Member #54278 Joined: Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:42AM

I have connected four identical photo-flash capacitors (2x2) , each rated: 800uF @ 360Vdc, to get a total rating of 800uF @ 720v. (please forgive the lack of graphics.) Let's call them C1, C2, C3, and C4. The two series connection sets go like this: C1- to C2+ AND C3- to C4+. To put these two series-connected sets in parallel, I connect C1+ to C3+ (+out) AND C2- to C4- (-out). Also, I have 200k@2W resistors across each cap for balancing/bleeding.

THE QUESTION: what is the difference between this configuration and one with an added connection to C1-,C2+ AND C3-,C4+ ?

klugesmith
Mon Jul 22 2019, 04:57AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Some benefits of the added connection:
1. Need only two instead of four balancing/bleeding resistors.
2. The added connection adds flexibility if you want to match the _measured_ values of C's in series, so the smaller one doesn't get voltage reversed when a rapid discharge happens.

There might be some disadvantages of the added connection when configuring 2S2P batteries. Electric-powered model enthusiasts might know about them. Maybe they apply to your electrolytic capacitor project.
Sulaiman
Mon Jul 22 2019, 08:20AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Adding the link may give slightly better voltage balancing,
but under fault conditions (a short-circuit capacitor) individual strings of capacitors in series, connected in parallel, may give slightly less explosiveness.
Even if you connect capacitors in parallel, the overall current (hence heat) distribution is better in multiple resistors rather than one single resistor, that could fail open circuit.
So, no need to change your arrangement, but no harm if you do.
DerAlbi
Mon Jul 22 2019, 08:40AM
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
Luckily, capacitor manufacturers thought of covering the basics already.
Give some love to TDK: Link2

Besides the fact that one should read everything, your particular problem is addressed in chapter 6, starting on pdf page 26. Have fun.
Signification
Mon Jul 22 2019, 08:58PM
I am trying to recall this from memory, but a while back I had a similar capacitor data/app book as Albi referred to. There was one page concerning the connection of capacitors in straight parallel. Foe example, suppose there are five capacitors, C1-C5, all lined in single file (C1,C2,...C5) and connected in parallel with two straight conductors. IIRC, the diagram indicated a "Right" and "Wrong" way to connect to this bank. The "Right" way to connect to this parallel bank was to make one connection at C1 and the other polarity at C5.

Apparently, there was some 'disadvantage' in taking the connections at a single capacitor at the end. I don't recall the reason.
2Spoons
Mon Jul 22 2019, 11:28PM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
Its quite simple. Draw the 5 capacitors but include the impedance of every connection. You will see that a connection at c1 and c5 yields equal total impedance to each capacitor. But if you were to connect only at C1, then C1 has the lowest total impedance, C2 is a bit higher, all the way up to C5 being the highest - which means current will not be shared equally among the capacitors.
Signification
Wed Jul 24 2019, 03:15AM
Many thanks,
This leads to another similar situation: Years ago when the first LED string arrays came out, I remember having one with MANY LED's (each light 'unit' was composed of an LED in series with a resistor set for 12vdc operation). The 'units' were all connected in PARALLEL, and additional LED strings could be plugged into the the end of the previous one for longer arrays. The 12v source (which supplied enough current for all LEDs) was only connected at ONE end of the parallel array.
The brightness was NOT uniform--could this possibly be solved by making the 12v power connections at opposite ends? Much like the proper capacitor array connection in the discussion.
2Spoons
Wed Jul 24 2019, 05:28AM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
Yes, exactly.
Signification
Thu Jul 25 2019, 03:46AM
OK, one more thing involving connecting capacitors that seems to somewhat fit here...and I have wondered about this one since pre-internet times. When I looked for solutions on youtube, I am finding that many other people, attempting to work this problem 'on paper', get the obvious answer--WHICH IS WRONG--and accept it as true and just keep on going.
The paradox: You have two identical capacitors. One is charged and the other discharged, the two capacitors are connected in parallel (I see sparking when I try it, which I think is key to the wrong answer obtained by the obvious method). It turns out they all come up with the same conclusion, that is, that the initial charge is EQUALLY shared among the two capacitors. For an example, see Link2
This is WRONG! It actually appears that 1/2 of the energy seems to "radiate away" when this experiment is done. Does anyone know of any way to keep more than 1/2 of the total energy at steady state--and an explanation of the energy loss? would this process 'always' be 50% energy efficient?
Sulaiman
Thu Jul 25 2019, 04:55AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
From memory;
There is always some resistance which looses energy
there is inductance, so if you connect two capacitors with different open circuit voltages together,
you get a damped resonance with a very high oscillating current loop - an rf transmitter.
If the circuit resistance is significant then up to half of the energy will be lost to heat with very little rfi.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: