All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Topload Suggestions for a 10KVA coil?

Move Thread LAN_403
Macak
Mon Mar 25 2019, 12:58AM Print
Macak Registered Member #62104 Joined: Thu Jan 25 2018, 06:52PM
Hello all,
I am gathering parts for my next build. It will be a spark gap 10KVA pole pig running a magnifier setup. The third coil will be 12.5" x 30" (1,000 turns of 22 awg). What size toroid should I aim for? At this point I think I am ready to fork over the cash for a commercial spun toroid (yes I know it will be expensive). Due to the cost I want to get it sized right the first time. So does anyone have experience with this power level and sized coil? What do you suggest?
Thanks!
MRMILSTAR
Mon Mar 25 2019, 03:49AM
MRMILSTAR Registered Member #62119 Joined: Sun Feb 04 2018, 04:59AM
My 8.6" x 38" RSG coil draws 6.5 KVA and works well with my 30" x 9" spun aluminum toroid. A little bigger might be better but keep in mind the weight. Mine weighs about 20 pounds and I frequently have to lift it from the top of my 6' tall coil. I wouldn't want anything any heavier. The weight of a toroid is proportional to the major diameter but rises with R**2 on the minor diameter. Admittedly a spun aluminum toroid looks fantastic but if I needed anything bigger I would consider making one with ribs and covered in fine mesh screen wire just to keep the weight manageable.

I would suggest trying different toroid sizes with JAVATC to see what effect it might have on the streamer length. Or go ahead and build your coil and make several "expendable" toroids from screen wire. After you find the best size then you can think about having a spun aluminum toroid made to match those dimensions.
Sulaiman
Mon Mar 25 2019, 10:13AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
From various observations and a little experience;
. I have never heard of a coiler wishing for a smaller topload than originally planned for
. larger = shorter (lower voltage) fatter sparks'n'arcs, smaller = longer and thinner
. better performing sgtc appear to have toploads of similar minor diameter to coil diameter, and major diameter between (coil height)/3 and (coil height)

Simulating your coil beforestarting construction is wise,
I agree with the idea of prototyping with a cheaper topload before commiting to a final desgn - rigid expandable aluminium ducting is good enough.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: