Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

RESCUING PULSE CAPACITORS

Move Thread LAN_403
Signification
Sat Mar 23 2019, 08:24PM
Signification Registered Member #54278 Joined: Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:42AM
Sounds great, THANKS!! You may have missed the "EDIT" I added, so I will add it on here again now:

EDIT:
@MRMILSTAR:
Maybe i can get the caps dry (when upside down), apply the-JB Weld, make sure I see no moisture leaks when turned upright, and THEN if no leaks appear, apply the Rustoleum primer (let primer dry) and then the paint??

BTW: I have NEVER used rustoleum before this!
MRMILSTAR
Sat Mar 23 2019, 09:22PM
MRMILSTAR Registered Member #62119 Joined: Sun Feb 04 2018, 04:59AM
Sounds like a good plan. I did miss the edit. I don't think that there is anything special about Rustoleum. I just know that it is a good quality spray paint. I am certain there are other brands equally as good.
Signification
Sat Mar 23 2019, 11:10PM
OK, I will follow this plan (JB-Weld, rustoleum primer/paint, and time). If anyone has any suggestions to add to it, take away from it, or modify the plan, please let me know. It will be a couple of days because of the other mess of very slippery, rusted caps (which are now just placed upside down in a box).
I should get to the first 'minor damaged' cap sooner. and post the results.

And YES, all the other oil-filled caps which did not have this kind of outer plastic construction seemed to dry out with no problems! This is certainly NOT a good way of enhancing insulation. I will try to think of an alternative.
johnf
Sun Mar 24 2019, 01:33AM
johnf Registered Member #230 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 08:01PM
What you can not solder because of the oil
I have soldered many high voltage caps (plastic capacitors Inc and Maxwell pulse jobs, plus a few no name copies) to stop leaks favoured weapon is a pace soldering station with a BIG chisel bit with solder station set to 8 as hot as will go -killed spirits of salts as flux and 0.125 solder . I prefer this solution as the solder can not rust so the fix is permanent.
Signification
Sun Mar 24 2019, 10:55AM
@johnf,
I am not sure of the soldering station wattage and tips you are speaking of. Can you give more information such as temperature, more specific tip size, etc. The largest iron I have is 60W. My two 325W guns were destroyed.
johnf
Sun Mar 24 2019, 06:39PM
johnf Registered Member #230 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 08:01PM
Pace Sensatemp PS90 I presume the 90 is watts
set to 850F approx 450C
Be ye warned that using killed spirits of salts does eat up soldering iron tips but a $10 tip is worth rescuing a rare expensive capacitor
Signification
Sun Apr 07 2019, 03:22PM
Thanks all.
BTW, Did I mention that there were three sizes of caps that I called small, medium, and large, + one 300lb pole pig?

I tilted over the large ones and it looked like I better treat then too! So I have some supplies and will get to work. There are 98 smalls, 10 mediums, and about 10 large caps--I sure don't want to lose them. I did manage to get the drone caps up high in time!!!

I just may be able to save then all, THANKS TO YOU GUYS!!! One more thing: I have a lot (~75) MOTs that need help...perhaps just a good heating (with tar or paraffin) will help? I do think the paraffin will go even with no load though! My favorite of the small xfmrs is a modified (15kV @ 60mA) NST from which I de-tarred and removed some shunts...got 25kVDC @ 70+mA from it, with the help of a hefty variac and a FWB.
Signification
Fri May 03 2019, 05:43AM
Hi all,
I will be finished with the capacitor repair process (WHAT A LOT OF WORK!) by the end of the weekend. I will post the results when all primer+paint (rustoleum) has set, the final capacitance is measured, and they are determined to be leak-proof. The last dozen were done with rustoleum primer two coats of 'flex-seal'. The rest with three coats of primer + two coats paint (all rust-oleum).

I had about 100 caps, however, two of them were so rusted (they were left outdoors for months) that they looked un-fixable. So I threw them out. Most were 196uF @ 2300Vdc and 115uF # 2300Vdc. I did find one 50uF in the bunch.

They look sonething like this: Link2

(I hope that came out)
Signification
Sun Jul 07 2019, 07:08PM
In over 100 leaking caps, most leaked through non-obvious ways. Some through visible holes at the bottom corners--especially when squeezed. The latter, I used J-B weld, and ALL with the bottoms 3/4" with rustoleum. 4-coats primer + 2-coats paint. Used a bit of 'flex-seal on a couple, maybe overkill, but in over 3 months and NO LEAKS! Many used! THANKS GUYS!!!!

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: