All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

A question about VTTC

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
hyparh
Sun Mar 17 2019, 05:25PM
hyparh Registered Member #1054 Joined: Wed Oct 10 2007, 10:51PM
Thanks for the information MRMILSTAR! Today I tested my PC PSUs and it seems that only one of them is suitable for the job. The rest of them give voltages under 12V or a bit higher (up to 12,2V), but not enough.
I measured 12,62V from the last one - right on spot :)
Do I have to soft-start the filament every time or it must be done only the first time I power up the tube?
MRMILSTAR
Wed Mar 20 2019, 03:53PM
MRMILSTAR Registered Member #62119 Joined: Sun Feb 04 2018, 04:59AM
The soft-start procedure should be done each time. You are trying to avoid the high in-rush current to the filament while it is cold. As the temperature of the tungsten filament increases, its resistance increases. After the filament heats up, the current reduces to its normal spec value. Using the 833A vacuum tube as an example, the normal operating specification for the filament is 10 amps at 10 volts, but at start-up, the in-rush current can be as high as 40 amps if the full 10 volts is applied.

An analogy is the incandescent light bulb. Have you ever noticed that they always fail when you switch them on? This is because of the high in-rush current applied to the filament at turn-on. If the voltage were applied gradually, the bulb would last much longer.
Proud Mary
Thu Mar 21 2019, 02:13AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Where a device is only to be used for a few minutes at a time, I find it often convenient to use lead acid or NiCad cells as a floating power supply for thermionic valve or X-ray tube heaters and filaments.
hyparh
Thu Mar 21 2019, 01:44PM
MRMILSTAR wrote ...

An analogy is the incandescent light bulb. Have you ever noticed that they always fail when you switch them on? This is because of the high in-rush current applied to the filament at turn-on. If the voltage were applied gradually, the bulb would last much longer.

This is indeed the case, I didn't think of it this way till now... Thanks!

Proud Mary wrote ...

Where a device is only to be used for a few minutes at a time, I find it often convenient to use lead acid or NiCad cells as a floating power supply for thermionic valve or X-ray tube heaters and filaments.

That's an interesting idea to think about :)

hyparh
Thu Mar 21 2019, 09:49PM
I have one more question about the cooling of the tube. Is it enough to use two PC fans (I have a lot of them) - one for the radiator and one for the tube itself? I also have a microwave oven fan, but do I need it for that purpose?
MRMILSTAR
Fri Mar 22 2019, 03:25AM
I'm not familiar with that particular tube. For my 833A tube I use a 5" muffin fan mounted high enough so that it blows across the anode caps on top of the tube. Your spec sheet may specify what type of cooling is needed.
hyparh
Fri Mar 22 2019, 03:31PM
Here are some values from the spec sheet:

Filament voltage: 11,9-13,3V

The next ones are "no more than…"

Anode voltage: 3000V
Transitory anode voltage: 6000V
Anode power dissipation using air cooling: 1500W
Anode power dissipation using water cooling: 2000W
Anode temperature: 200 degrees (Celsius)
Grid connection temperature: 120 degrees
Cathode connection temperature: 120 degrees

I hope the translation from russian is good enough :)

This site also provides useful information about the tube: Link2

From the first table below: "Minimum required Air flow: 2500 l/min (83.3 cfm)"
I don’t know if a PC fan can achieve air flow of 2500l/min…
MRMILSTAR
Fri Mar 22 2019, 06:04PM
That will require a stout fan, a lot more than a PC fan. That's one of the problems with high power tubes. You have to find a way to cool them. Cheap solutions might be an old vacuum cleaner motor or hair dryer with the heating element disabled. The fan will be noisy though which is something you have to put up with.
hyparh
Sat Mar 23 2019, 09:36AM
I suppose I'll go with the hair dryer :D Thank you!
Looking at the specs for anode voltage (3000V)... Is it a problem to use a level shifter after the MOT? As far as I know a tube in a VTTC will perform better with level shifter (although in this case it exceeds the nominal anode voltage).
MRMILSTAR
Sat Mar 23 2019, 02:06PM
My 833A tube has 2 specifications for maximum plate (anode) voltage. The spec for convection cooling is 3000 volts while the spec for forced air cooling is 4000 volts. This indicates to me that the maximum anode voltage is mostly a question of heat dissipation. I use 4000 volts for my 833A and sometimes up to 4500 volts with no problem. Your spec sheet mentions a "Transitory Anode Voltage" of 6000 volts. This sounds like your tube can safely handle a 6000 volt anode voltage for short periods of time. My guess would be that your tube could safely take 4000 volts on the anode with forced-air cooling especially since you won't be operating it for long periods of time. A MOT with a voltage doubler will put out about 4000 volts, possibly a little less. If you have access to a variac, you could vary the voltage into the MOT to get any anode voltage that you desire. That is what most VTTCs use. I have a variac on mine.

I saw one hair dryer with a 1900 watt rating that puts out 41 cfm. That power rating includes the heater. Having seen this, maybe a hair dryer isn't enough since your spec sheet says 83 cfm. Two hair dryers? Another cheap solution for cooling is a small shop vac operating as a sucker through the tube cooling fins. The ingested hot air might damage the shop vac motor though since it relies on the intake air flow to cool the motor. I bought a very small shop vac for $10 on sale. Very noisy though. The salvaged vacuum cleaner motor is also a good idea. I see old vacuum cleaners being discarded a lot. The motors almost always work. Of coarse you can still use the single hair dryer if the run-time is short enough to avoid over-heating. I can't say what length of time is "short enough". It sounds like the best cheap option that satisfies your 82 cfm spec is to use a salvaged vacuum cleaner motor to blow air into the tube cooling fins unless you like the idea of using two hair dryers.

I should tell you that I am not an expert on VTTCs in general. I am only familiar with the one that I have built based on a 833A vacuum tube. If there are others on this board with more VTTC experience maybe they can comment on the anode voltage question for your particular tube. You can see some pictures of my VTTC at this link.

Link2
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: