All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

A question about VTTC

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
hyparh
Mon Mar 04 2019, 07:03PM Print
hyparh Registered Member #1054 Joined: Wed Oct 10 2007, 10:51PM
Hello all,
Today I was offered an unused vacuum triode GS-35B for 60$. Is this one good for VTTCs, because I can't find anything about using it for that purpose?
I have a VTTC with GU-81M capable of about 45cm long arcs and I'm wondering if GS-35B can do better.

Thanks!
hyparh
Wed Mar 06 2019, 08:09AM
No one knows if GS-35B can be used for VTTC? Come on guys, I have few days to decide buying or not this brand new triode for only 60$ or it will be sold to someone else... :(
I just want to know if I can make a VTTC with it. Pls!

The triode looks like this: Link2
Sulaiman
Wed Mar 06 2019, 09:01AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
It is a triode, rated for 1500 W anode dissipation and it has gain up to GHz therefore it will work in a vttc.

(using GHz devices at vttc frequencies the one extra thing to be aware of is the possibility of unintentional (and un-'scopable) very high frequency oscillations causing overheating)
hyparh
Wed Mar 06 2019, 09:50AM
Thank you, mate! This is very useful information about possible VHF oscillations and overheating, I'll have it in mind.
I think I'll take it :)
teravolt
Wed Mar 06 2019, 05:34PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
you will need a lot of support equipment like filiment transformers maby a socket witch will cost a lot more than 60$. I would use a gu-5b.

Link2
hyparh
Thu Mar 07 2019, 06:15AM
Hi teravolt,
Yeah, GU-5B definitely is the better choise, but I think it won't fit on my budget right now... At the moment 60$ is the max I can affort and I think it is worthy to take the GS-35B.
I already have filament transformer (modified MOT) for my VTTC with GU-81M. I'm a bit surprised to find out that GS-35B filament requires much less current than GU-81M. Only 2,95A. I'm looking at the specs of GU-5B now and it requires much higher 20-27A.
As for the socket, I think I can use copper strips (cut from copper sheet) and wrap the triode's cylindrical leads with them. Then I won't need a socket :)
teravolt
Thu Mar 07 2019, 02:15PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
I see some of these russain videos make HF tesla coil candles out of those type of UHF tubes. I cant waight to see the results. VTTCs are a dying art after the addvent of the QCW
MRMILSTAR
Thu Mar 07 2019, 03:57PM
MRMILSTAR Registered Member #62119 Joined: Sun Feb 04 2018, 04:59AM
A re-wound MOT is a cheap way to implement a filament transformer. One thing to keep in mind though is the inefficiency. MOTs are built cheap. They have barely enough iron and copper to function properly. Even then, they run hot. You will find that a re-wound MOT will draw about 500 watts even when it is not connected to a load. Add the load power to that to get the full power consumption of a re-wound MOT.

For my 833A VTTC, I initially used a re-wound MOT for the filament transformer. It worked, but since the 833A was putting out about 2 KW by itself, that extra 600 watts (500 waste + 100 load) was putting me very close to tripping the breaker on the 120 volt circuit. For that reason I bought an actual Thordarson 10 volt filament transformer which is very efficient. I combined that with a small variac and volt meter to allow me to bring up the filament power slowly to extend the life of the tube.

I knew that MOTs were inefficient but I didn't realize how bad they were until I tested a few. If you don't mind the loss, they still are a cheap solution.

VTTCs were never about state-of-the-art technology. After all, VTTCs have been around since the 1930s. While QCW coils may operate in a similar fashion as VTTCs, they do not have the awesome look or presence of a VTTC with a large glowing vacuum tube. VTTCs with big tubes have sort of a steam punk look and are a perfect example of what yesterday's technology can still do.
hyparh
Sun Mar 10 2019, 06:34PM
I took the triode :)
MRMILSTAR, you're right - MOTs really are very inefficient. Actually... can I use computer PSU for the filament? I have few PSUs from old PCs. It will provide stabilized 12V and the current will be more than sufficient for this tube. Stabilization is very important, because the voltage from our power grid often fluctuates significantly which will complicate the things by using ordinary transformer for the filament.
MRMILSTAR
Sun Mar 10 2019, 07:05PM
MRMILSTAR Registered Member #62119 Joined: Sun Feb 04 2018, 04:59AM
I see no reason why you can't use a computer PS as long as it is capable of supplying the necessary filament current. Also insure that the voltage, under load, is very close to the filament supply spec for your particular tube. Some tubes are quite sensitive to the filament voltage being within a few tenths of a volt to get the best performance. Consult your spec sheet. You don't want to run the filament below its rated voltage. That can damage some tubes. If needed, you can run the filament voltage a little higher than normal. I wouldn't exceed the filament voltage spec by more than 0.5 volt.

If your computer PS is adequate for powering the filament there is another way, other than a variac, to provide for a soft-start filament warm-up to maximize your tube life. Just use a voltage-dropping power resistor that you can switch in and out during warm-up. Pick a resistance that will cause the filament to just barely glow. Then after a few seconds, bypass it for the full filament voltage. Not quite as good as a variac but much better than just hitting the filament with full voltage during warm-up.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: