Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

SOLENOID QUENCH

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
DerAlbi
Wed Mar 06 2019, 10:59PM
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
If you come anywhere close to the capacitors internal RC time-constant with your LC-circuit period time, you by definition, dont have much L at all. Therefore the coil of the "coil"gun is missing. Therefore you dont have a coilgun.
Energy extraction speed matters in induction launchers, not reluctance motors.
Signification
Fri Mar 08 2019, 04:20PM
Signification Registered Member #54278 Joined: Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:42AM
2Spoons wrote ...

If you run through the math, for a given quantity of any particular dielectric it doesn't matter if you go low voltage/high C or high voltage /low C the energy storage is the same in J/kg. The speed with which you can extract that energy will be different, however.

I think I get what you are saying before going through the actual relationships pf parameters such as E, C, Q, k, q, etc.
OK.....We use a given 'volume' of a particular dielectric. I am assuming that the energy of the charged capacitor is stored in the Electric field. Also, it would be convenient to have a rectangular (including square) flat dielectric of which the plates (identical) can fit close-contact, fully, and squarely. The dielectric can be made thicker for a low C / high V OR thinner for a high C / low V.
I am mainly thinking in terms of the equation C=(A/d)e*k. Where A is one plate area (same for both), and d is the plate separation. e is epsilon naught (the permittivity) and k is 'kappa' (the dielectric constant). Since 'e' and 'k' are constants, the ratio of A/d determines the 'hi /lo' C, V parameters (I will later check to see if this ratio acts as I suspect).
Since capacitance is, by definition, Q/V (charge per potential 'difference'), I will say (WRT your last sentence), that the capacitor with the low C / high V will be the one that tends to discharge (in general) the fastest.

DerAlbi
Fri Mar 08 2019, 07:19PM
Why is it important that the capacitor discharges fast. Looking at other design, you know already with certainty that electrolytics are very much sufficient devices. Lowering the ESR of the capacitors is only interesting if you can capitalize on that somehow - so why is it your priority?
All your other considerations are... without a clear destination. Capacitor technology performance is characterized, among other stuff, by energy density. There are 2 forms that are important: volumetric energy density (energy per capacitor size) and mass related energy density. (energy per kg of capacitor).
In both aspects electrolytic capacitors are superior over foils. (because AlO3 has higher EpsilonR).
Foils come into play when you have high dV/dt requirements (that is how you specify the current rating/capability of a capacitor technology independent of capacitance). However in a coilgun, if you really need foil capacitors, you have done something wrong in your design and will invest into badly utilized resources for little effect and end up with a bigger an heavier build than actually necessary..
Signification
Fri Mar 08 2019, 09:23PM
@Albi:
MAYBE NOT!!
DerAlbi
Sat Mar 09 2019, 12:55PM
Is this your best rational argument you can do? I mean.. could you elaborate?
Signification
Sat Mar 09 2019, 01:45PM
@Albi: Whenever I refer to a video or a new idea on the subject, even if it works like I wanted, you seem to have already shot it down and criticized me for even referring to it. One example if that YAK coil gun that fires at 256fps. And, YES, I am mainly interested in velocity first, then the efficiency mods (you will say that I am doing this backward). In this case an energy cap charged to a high voltage seems to fire the projectile a good velocities. One improvement was to use large AWG wire so that the high voltage pulse can get a lot of high current through the coil fast! This type coil is larger wire and fewer layers than 'normal'. I have found that using the first stage as a 'standard' electrolytic-powered coil (maybe the first two) to start the acceleration for the fast coils. If I get something worthwhile, I will post it. But it does seem that the slower coil is necessary for the fast coils to function and add high acceleration.
Sulaiman
Sat Mar 09 2019, 03:04PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
just for an idea of orders of magnitude,
if you hope for Mach1 projectile speed, with say 66mm long projectiles,
coil (charge + discharge) time = 100 us
so the coil ON/charge time will be around 90 us and discharge time around 10 us.

I consider electrolytic capacitors suitable for 100 us pulses and marginal with 10 us pulses.

so for projectile velocities below the speed of sound, electrolytic capacitors should suffice,
... in my opinion.
DerAlbi
Sat Mar 09 2019, 07:42PM
For a multistage approach i am with you; fast pulse currents can do their job if the projectile is pre-magnetized preferably up to saturation.
The thread title did not really imply that you dont want efficiency first. If you want to maximize energy transfer no matter what, then also tolerate suckback. Any current waveform that maximizes energy transfer will have some suckback. It has to do with the force vs position curve and with the nature of current rise- and fall times in an acceleration coil and the velocity that is gained.

However the way you put it, i seriously ask, why you dont just build. If nothing matters except kinetic output, then throw money, capacitor mass and build volume at the problem and you will get "velocity first" with no problem. This russian guy who spammed his gun everywhere ("V2006") had the same approach and he build the strongest hobby builds i know. Why not. I personally see it as a massive waste of resources, but thats everyone's own business i guess.

What is often missing is a goal that you want to chase. Some kind of figure of merit that tells you objectively what is good and what is bad. A coilgun, seen as an electric motor, does provide engineering challenges. Problems that require the balancing of a lot of problems and benefits vs loss considerations.
If you only present ideas without context and without goal or figure of merit, any idea on its own may work, but you have to agree that it is always important to point out which trade-offs you will make. You can, of course, close your eyes and ears if you like.
In the end you are a grown man. If you want to implement your ideas, go ahead.

On my side, your sudden idea to use pulse capacitors sounds much more motivated in misleading marketing headlines since the word "pulse capacitor" fits well with the "current pulse" idea in a coilgun.
You have presented no data, no calculation no goal, not even an order of magnitude why you would need such special capacitors and no argument why electrolytics will not suffice.
Signification
Thu Mar 21 2019, 09:58PM
One reason for the pulse energy caps is to allow a faster more 'critical-to-underdamped' pulse which relaxes the problem of capacitor reverse polarity, while allowing a higher current via higher voltage fed coil. The underdamped pulse allows about three (3) times more: e=2.72 (NOT PI = 3.14) than the damped / overshooting / capacitor damaging pulse.
DerAlbi
Mon Mar 25 2019, 01:25AM
Correct me if i am wrong, but arent pulse capacitors mainly foil capacitors? Why fo foils care about polarity?
 1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: