Alfons (36)
Coronafix (51)
AmonRa (44)

Next birthdays
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
05/09 AmonRa (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

BBC Radio 4 audio appearing on 60kHz time from NPL

Move Thread LAN_403
GeordieBoy
Sat Jan 26 2019, 08:52PM Print
GeordieBoy Registered Member #1232 Joined: Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:53PM
I've just been playing about with the Twente SDR web interface and was listening to a few interesting signals, when I realised that I can hear muffled audio in the background on the Time from NPL signal at 60kHz, (formerly the MSF rugby clock signal.) The audio sounds English but I had to close the bandwidth right down to avoid interference from other nearby VLF signals. I'm almost certain that the audio is that of BBC radio 4 LW that broadcasts on 198kHz, because if you adjust the waterfall so that the spectrum of both transmissions is on the screen at the same time, you can hear the muffled audio on 60kHz stop when there are gaps in the BBC R4 198kHz transmissions spectrum. Like where there is a gap between programs, or when the announcer pauses for breathe!

This audio crosstalk seems like a strange thing to happen because BBC R4 transmitter is analogue and located at Droitwitch in Worcestershire. and the 60kHz MSF transmitter is digital and located in Anthorn in Cumbria. How could audio from one of these be ending up getting modulated onto the other one's transmission? And so prominently without anyone noticing!

I've read about the Gorky Luxemborg effect where the non-linearity of the actual air above high-powered radio transmitters results in the signal strength of any radio waves passing through it picking up the modulation of the high power transmitter it passes over. But neither of these stations is particularly high powered, and they're not located particularly close together. And I had always assumed this effect was very small. This amplitude modulation is very noticeable!

The other explanation I thought of was intermodulation from overloading causing non-linearity in the receiver. But both of these stations are a long way from Twente in Holland, aren't particularly powerful, and the SDR's antenna is tiny, so I very much doubt that it is being overloaded causing intermod in the receiver.

I'd be interested to know what others think.

-Richie,
hen918
Sun Jan 27 2019, 01:25AM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
Very odd. To find it, go to Link2 , set the SDR to 60 kHz and the bandwidth down to 1 kHz, click AM and turn up the volume. Now I went on a quest to see if this was repeated on any other WebSDR in public operation and found that, although I could pick up the NPL MSF signal on a couple of them, I couldn't hear anything over the noise. The most promising were the Farnam SDR : Link2 and Eindhoven: Link2 sites, although they don't seem to have anything like the signal strength at that frequency compared to the one at Twente.

I have a feeling that it's not to do with intermodulation with MSF, but with something else, and I seem to get a slightly greater volume at 59.5 kHz. The radio 4 transmitter is, after all, the most powerful long range transmitter currently in operation at 500 kW. I tried to see if I could get radio 4 at any other frequencies but I found there was too much noise, so it could be that radio 4 appears in other unexpected places in the electromagnetic spectrum, but we can't hear it over the noise floor.
Proud Mary
Sun Jan 27 2019, 01:39PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Direct demodulation in the AF stages?

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: