All today's birthdays', congrats!
kg7bz (68)
steve516 (31)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Driving a Buck-Boost Converter With A Switching Supply

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
RickR
Thu Nov 01 2018, 05:22PM Print
RickR Registered Member #93 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:11PM
I've purchased a couple Buck-Boost converters to make variable output power supplies: https://www.allelectronics.com/item/udc-10/buck-boost-converter-7-amp/1.html. I was planning on driving the converters using switching power supplies.

Are there any problems using switching supplies versus rectified transformer supplies to drive the converters? I seem to recall that using a switching supply to drive a converter that uses switching technology itself can lead to instability or some other problematic condition in the driving supply.

Is anyone aware of problems like this? I'd really like to use switching supplies to avoid the extra weight of a transformer supply.

Many thanks,

- Rick
Patrick
Thu Nov 01 2018, 06:52PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
RickR wrote ...
Are there any problems using switching supplies versus rectified transformer supplies to drive the converters? I seem to recall that using a switching supply to drive a converter that uses switching technology itself can lead to instability or some other problematic condition in the driving supply.

Yes, load sharing and feed back loop instability problems could appear. What is your specific requirement ? There are many smps's out on amazon and ebay th a t may do what you need with isolation.

Edit: are you meaning to run multiple sub ps's off one parent ps ?
RickR
Thu Nov 01 2018, 09:14PM
Well basically what I'm trying to do is just put together a modest (read cheap) bench variable power supply that's able to source 5-30 (continuous) volts or so at 3 to 5 amps (wattage depends on voltage/current setting).

I only plan to run one converter from one switching supply.

It sounds, though, like I'm headed to using a transformer + rectifier + filtering for the source supply.

Thanks for the info.
Plasma
Fri Nov 02 2018, 02:46AM
Plasma Registered Member #61406 Joined: Thu Jan 05 2017, 11:31PM
You could use decoupling capacitor between the smps and DC converter, 1uf and 100uf in parrellel should fix it,I'm not sure why the different values
johnf
Fri Nov 02 2018, 09:44AM
johnf Registered Member #230 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 08:01PM
Using capators is not recommended as they slow the feedback loops and cause positive feedback. take a look at how forward converters work and use a series inductor to slow isolate your converters from each other.
I t pays to know what frequencies each differing unit uses close /similar is to be avoided as each control loop now is intereacting
Sulaiman
Fri Nov 02 2018, 09:46AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Judging by the physical size of the inductor, that converter operates at 100's kHz or MHz,
so I'd expect your main problem will be rfi.
Ferrite on the power lead(s) between the two smps should be enough to prevent any harmonic interactions.
It is common practice to pass power from smps to smps(s).

A combination of capacitance values is used to maintain a low impedance across all frequencies of interest,
because each capacitor has its own 'resonance' frequency due mainly to intrinsic, lead and interconnection inductances.
RickR
Mon Nov 05 2018, 01:27AM
Thanks to all for your replies.

I have just a few extra questions.

How are the instabilities likely to manifest themselves? Am I likely to see varying output voltage, current, or both? Is it likely the variations will be large, say 10-30%, smaller, say 5-10%, or is it impossible to say without more information?

Unfortunately, I'm unable to provide the working frequencies of either the supply or the converter at the momant, although I might be able to find a reference design based on the chip(s) used to drive the converter.

Finally, intuitively (to me at least), I could see how using series inductors would help stabilize the driver/converter comfiguration. The problem is that I have next to no experience in designing feedback loops, so maybe capacitors are the way to go.

Does anyone have any suggestions about the values of inductors/capacitors to use for first-cut experimentation?

Thanks again for all the input so far.

- Rick

Sulaiman
Mon Nov 05 2018, 02:35AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Many modern smps operate at a combination of frequencies to spread the noise across a spectrum to pass emi tests :(
You can probably receive the smps switching on any nearby a.m. radio.
The actual frequency is unimportant,
and you will probably not have a problem
if you do then add MnZn ferrite beads until the problem goes away,
or buy/wind/find a small MnZn core inductor.
Patrick
Mon Nov 05 2018, 06:56PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Is there a reason you can't use a smps from amazon ?
RickR
Tue Nov 06 2018, 03:36PM
Well, if there are cheap (~$50-$60), variable voltage (5-30 volt continuous)/current (3-5 amp continuous) switching supplies from Amazon, I haven't seen them. Oops - I take that back! I found at least one that is around the upper limit of my price range: This one. I apologize, it's been a while since I've looked.

But, since the thread is started, let me ask this last question: If I were trying to drive a Mazilli or some other switching circuit with that supply, would the same comments that I've received in this thread still hold? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but just wanted to settle the question once and for all.

Thanks again for all the help.

- Rick

1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: