ramses (16)
Arcstarter (31)
Zak (15)

Next birthdays
05/12 Colin 99 (53)
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Low voltage at gate of ZVS driver

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Travalon
Fri Oct 26 2018, 07:46AM Print
Travalon Registered Member #61835 Joined: Wed Oct 11 2017, 02:00AM
Hi all. First time posting but lurking for a good time before this.
I appreciate any input.

I have successfully built a center tapped zvs driver and it worked well until I overloaded it. Rather than fix it I decided to go with a tapless design for greater flexibility. However I am having issues getting good chokes. I went with this design because of my choke issue. I built it twice and get the same results. I only get 3.4 to 3.7 volts on the gate. I have removed the zener diodes as well as the 10k resistor and it has no effect on the voltage. I have probed with a meter and found no shorts. I have found corresponding voltages that suggest a voltage divider. It doesn't matter if i apply 12 or 24 volts. The gate stays at around 3.7 volts. However, if I disconnect the fast diodes, the voltage jumps back up to where it should be. Can anyone explain to me what is causing this. Thanks in advance.

K3568 mosfett x 2
(500v, 12 amp/48 amp pulsed, + - 30 Vgss, 40watt )
12v zener x 2
10k resistor 1/4w x 2
470 ohm resistor 3 watt x 2
Uf3003 or 1n4007 diodes (waiting on UF4007 in the mail.)
70mh choke x 1
.88uf x 2 or .44uf x 2 split center tapped capacitor bank

On a side note, any sources of good toroids for inductors or GDTs would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I fixed the backwards zener.

1540535836 61835 FT0 20181025 100646

1540535836 61835 FT0 20181025 100703

1540536747 61835 FT0 Modified Zvs Oscillator
866rectifier
Fri Oct 26 2018, 09:02PM
866rectifier Registered Member #64743 Joined: Sat Sept 08 2018, 07:41PM
Um, I don't think that circuit works, because the tuning capacitors are in-series with DC power.
How much current can you put into the transformer when C1, C2 are limiting it?

For ZVS with no transformer center-tap, I find the circuits using two chokes:
sch from http://www.kiblerelectronics.com/bob/app_notes/note11/note11.html#section%201
1540587657 64743 FT183130 Schematic1 Zvs Driver
Travalon
Sun Oct 28 2018, 01:23PM
Thank you 866rectifier. I was so happy to find a schematic that didn't use 2 chokes I failed to inspect it thoroughly. It seems there's no way for the charged caps to discharge through the coil. I'm pretty new to all this so not too sure of that statement.
Travalon
Tue Oct 30 2018, 09:29AM
So I got it to start oscillating by splitting the caps and adding a couple of 1n4007 diodes and jumper wires. Its dirty but works. I'm still getting low gate voltages though a bit higher now. About 5v. This translates into a weak magnetic field at the coil as I'm only getting around 5v at the caps. If I can get the gate voltage up I think it should work well. Then I can work on making it compact and pretty.

1540891508 61835 FT183130 20181029 093332
flyrod
Wed Nov 07 2018, 09:55PM
flyrod Registered Member #61905 Joined: Sun Nov 12 2017, 03:27AM
What do you mean when you say that it works? It seems to me those diodes would just bypass the work coil. If you want to run without a center tap and a single inductor, then I think you need two windings on the inductor (in opposite directions like a common mode choke I think).

You could temporarily go back to the center tap version to test what you had working before. The coil and capacitors carry a lot of current. If you put the caps closer to the coil and straight across in parallel with it (no jumper wires), it should work better.
Travalon
Sat Nov 10 2018, 04:08PM
866rectifier pointed out there was no way for the caps to discharge into the coil. So I split the caps and added a diode (to direct which way to discharge) as well as a path to discharge into the coil. But I didn't get the desired results. So I reverted to the center tapped design and it works as well. The issue with both I believe is the low voltage at the gate. It should be at 12v at least since I am using a 12v zone. Tried with an 18v too. If I remove the diodes that bridge the gates and the drain the voltage jumps up to where it should be. I have tried different diodes and they all have the same effect. Got me stumped.
flyrod
Sat Nov 10 2018, 04:19PM
Travalon wrote ...
The issue with both I believe is the low voltage at the gate.

If the circuit is working, the voltage at the gate will be some form of AC signal. How are you measuring it? If you are just probing the pin with a volt meter while the circuit is running, then you'll probably get some value between 12 and 0 volts.

Again, how are you determining whether or not the circuit is "working"? Because I don't think the version you posted a picture of with the inductor connected to two diodes will.

On a whim, I stuck one of these circuits together and used a common mode choke on the input. It seemed to work fine, but I'm not sure it could handle much power without saturating the choke. So my point is, you can use a single inductor with two windings if you don't want to center tap the work coil.

Travalon
Sat Nov 17 2018, 12:36AM
Appreciate it fly rod. Ordered a couple toriods. Hope they work out. All the ones I see on commercial drivers are the yellow/white variant. However, all mine of the same give me low mh readings without a ton of turns. Any advice on the best Toroids to use and where to get them?
flyrod
Tue Nov 20 2018, 11:57PM
There are a bunch of different toroids on fleabay. You can get some yellow/white chineze ones for pretty cheap. I don't think they're very critical for experimenting. Iron powder doesn't saturate easily, and as I mentioned I even tried a common mode choke pulled from an old television and it worked fine. Something random out of an old PC power supply would probably work too. After the common mode choke, I tried a single iron powder toroid wound with two windings and it handled 600w fine.

What are you trying to do?

Sulaiman
Wed Nov 21 2018, 10:15AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Ferrite without an air gap is a poor choice for a power inductor as the core will saturate easily,
for experimenting, in order of fool-proof-ness;

air-core coil
... needs a relatively large coil of a lot of copper, but cannot saturate
The most efficient use of copper for an air-core coil is a Brooks coil Link2
(don't get too pedantic about the coil dimension ratios, just something close to the ratios is ok)

ferrite core with an air gap
... the longer the air gap the lower the inductance and higher current handling
The simplest is to use a ferrite rod, I like gapped E cores as it is easy to wind the bobbin.

Air core coils interact with each other so physical placement and alignment can be critical, but not so much in the case of a zvs oscillator.
Ferrite rod inductors are even more likely to interact with each other.
Gapped E-cores and powdered iron cores have only minimal interactions.

powdered iron core
... good for commercial designs but tedious to wind
Iron powder cores saturate at higher flux densities than ferrites so use less core + copper.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: