All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Beacon Reception -- Any Interest?

first  4 5 6 7
Move Thread LAN_403
ShawnLG
Fri Jul 20 2007, 08:04PM
ShawnLG Registered Member #286 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 04:52AM
My recever was still intact somewhat. I removed the dust and put it together and powered it up. I did receve a repeated morse transmittion, but I don't understand the language. A long keyed pause comes after the message. This transmittion peaked around 25db above the noize floor.

After a google search I found this site.

VE3TO/B beacon

This 5W beacon is located in Greenly On, Canada. I emailed the guy about my contact.

I found that using a EMI filter transformer(usually found in SMPS) on your audio line to your PC, this helps eliminate a lot of interference from your computer.
Dave Marshall
Fri Jul 20 2007, 09:03PM
Dave Marshall Registered Member #16 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 02:22PM
The message means "From VE3TO beacon. (not sure about the 5n25 bit) Antenna is a vertical"

Its a sort of short hand hams use with morse code to shorten transmissions.

Chris and I are discussing a receiver design that should ensure best possible results with a relatively cheap and simple circuit. The only real expense for most people will be the crystal(s), at $5-$8 each.

It could be easily made to support anywhere from 1 to 4 bands, and cover about 10Khz of the given band without too much trouble.

For the september test, I may consider producing a single or two band kit, if I hear any interest.

Dave
Chris Russell
Fri Jul 20 2007, 10:20PM
Chris Russell ... not Russel!
Registered Member #1 Joined: Thu Jan 26 2006, 12:18AM
That sounds great, ShawnLG. If I'm not mistaken, a 25dB SNR would correspond to being about 4 S-units above the noise, which is great for a 5W beacon. When I transmit QRSS, I am for about 500mW or so of output power, which means if the path losses are the same, my signal would be 10dB weaker than his. However, switching to QRSS10 should provide roughly 20dB of gain, so with a little luck, you should see me in there with some good signal strength.

Also, now you know his frequency, so you can tell exactly where you are in the band.
Avalanche
Fri Jul 20 2007, 11:34PM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
It was about a week ago when I went up onto the roof and reconnected my TV antenna cable. On the last beacon attempt, in a rush to get a dipole up in the back garden I simply cut the coax going to my TV aerial cheesey and re-routed it to the dipole. When I took the dipole down, I (lazily) just cut the coax again and left it dangling there.

I'd be up for another reception attempt, if I can find the time to make another dipole and put it up. I didn't manage to pick anything up last time, even though I think my reciever was working fairly well (I had a strong signal on about 10.140Mhz from some US station). If anyone's interested, I could post the schematic for my receiver, but I'd have to reverse-engineer it first because I made it up as I went along! To be honest it's probably a load of rubbish that I just think works cheesey

I used the crystal penning technique to modify some 10.240Mhz crystals towards 10.140Mhz, with quite a bit of sucess. If anyone wants to have a go at that I have quite a few of those crystals going spare, just give me a shout.
ShawnLG
Tue Jul 24 2007, 05:19PM
The beacon was stronger today, so I recorded it. No need for DSP to read it.
]1185297565_286_FT18313_ve3to_slash_b_beacon.zip[/ file]
Dave Marshall
Wed Jul 25 2007, 10:08PM
Dave Marshall Registered Member #16 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 02:22PM
For those looking for crystals on ham band frequencies, ShawnLG posted this earlier: Link2

Dave
ShawnLG
Wed Jul 25 2007, 11:23PM
I have finised updating the schematic to my reciever. Dave, you know what to do with this.
]1185405799_286_FT18313_30m_reciever.zip[/file]
first  4 5 6 7

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: