All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Beacon Reception -- Any Interest?

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Dave Marshall
Fri Nov 24 2006, 02:39PM
Dave Marshall Registered Member #16 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 02:22PM
Chris Russell has a source for programmable oscillator modules that are sufficiently stable enough.

All it requires is some filtering to clean up the output of the oscillator, and you're set.

It should be noted that the receivers for QRSS/Slow Heil have to be extremely stable. Even a +/- 3Hz shift would keep you from receiving effectively.

I'm definitely interested in listening in, and I'm seriously considering my own beacon as well.

Dave
Steve Conner
Fri Nov 24 2006, 11:34PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Hi guys

I managed to set up my old computer with Spectrum Lab and a decent sound card, and have it upload a screenshot of the Spectrum Lab waterfall plot to my web server every 30 seconds. So with any luck, anyone with a web browser can see what I'm receiving as it comes in. If you've got a transmitter you might even be able to see your own signal appear.

I just ran it for a few hours as a test, and I still need to hook it to the radio, but so far it looks good smile

Chris Russell
Sat Nov 25 2006, 02:43AM
Chris Russell ... not Russel!
Registered Member #1 Joined: Thu Jan 26 2006, 12:18AM
Excellent, glad to see there's some interest!

Avalanche: That looks excellent. I would prefer to stick to 30m anyway, so you shouldn't need to even change any values. If you wanted to use the mic line of your sound card, you could even leave out the op-amp and just sample the output from the mixer directly. The important thing is stability. You're going to want to make sure the circuit is enclosed in a case that's going to provide electrical and thermal shielding. In fact, if you were really insane, you could probably submerge the whole thing in oil, to ensure that the temperature only changes very slowly.

WaveRider: I don't have a plan for any particular time yet, just when I have enough interested people. I can certainly run the test again if it turns out that there's anyone interested who missed out.

Anyone who doesn't have a receiver will probably want to look at the circuit that Avalanche linked to, unless you have some specific plans already. I am planning on operating right around 10.141MHz, so a 10.139 or 10.140MHz crystal is what you'll want (causing my signal to appear at either 2khz or 1khz on the output, respectively). You could also replace it with an SG-8002 programmable oscillator, available at Digikey. Specifically, you'll want this part number: SG-8002DC-PHB-ND, and specify 10.139MHz in the comments. They're $5.15 each, and since there's a $5 charge on orders less than $25, it would be smart to either do a bulk buy with someone, or order a fistful for various frequencies -- they're damn useful.

If anyone is *definitely* interested in going this route, and *promises* to complete the project and listen for my signal, I have two SG-8002 modules that will be sent free via postal mail. Just PM me your mailing address and I'll get it in the mail ASAP. One is 10.135MHz, one is 10.140MHz. The 10.135MHz one will work fine, but my signal will appear at 6khz, so the penalty is that you'll have to use a higher sampling rate on your sound card, thus requiring more computing power. The difference isn't huge, but it's something to think about if you're using a computer that runs at less than, say, 500MHz.
ShawnLG
Sat Nov 25 2006, 06:21AM
ShawnLG Registered Member #286 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 04:52AM
What electronic equipment would most likley have these crystals?
Dave Marshall
Sat Nov 25 2006, 07:13AM
Dave Marshall Registered Member #16 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 02:22PM
I have yet to stumble on a useful crystal in a common electronic appliance that fell within a ham radio band. I would imagine thats largely because hams are more likely than most other RF spectrum users to experience interference from such devices. Most crystals I've seen in the 10Mhz range are well above the 30m ham band, or on the very low fringe, between 10 and 10.1Mhz.

You can sometimes find the QRP calling frequency crystal at 10.130Mhz, but those programmable oscillators are really the most practical solution.

Dave
Steve Conner
Sat Nov 25 2006, 10:15PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
The only ones I can think of even vaguely ham-related are the NTSC colour burst (3.579MHz) found in many VCRs and games consoles (basically anything with a composite video output) and the old IBM PC bus clock (14.318MHz) that still appears in a lot of PC motherboards and expansion cards.

If Chris's transmission is a success, and I guess even if it isn't, I'm up for trying another one myself, so you guys can try tuning into that. I have a 100 watt rig and a 33' dipole in the attic, and so far I've not been able to get signals into the US, but some of our European members might be able to get it. Or maybe it'll finally make it across the pond by the magic of DSP smile
Avalanche
Sat Nov 25 2006, 10:59PM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
As for crystals, I remember reading something on the net a few years ago describing a method by which crystals could be 'doped' to reduce the frequency on which they operate.
It was something along the lines of: cut open the can, use the ink from a permanent marker(?) to add impurity to the crystal, then solder the can up again (using pieces of copper clad) when it is nearer your required frequency. However, I cannot find the article. I just wondered if anyone else had heard of this and if it would be worth trying. I don't know how good the temperature stability would be with the added impurities, that would be a bigger problem than the crystal being off-frequency by a few Khz.
I have a bag of 10.240Mhz crystals on my eBay watch list, so if I win them i'll probably give it a go.
Marko
Sat Nov 25 2006, 11:08PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
I'm completely lost in this thing, but, regardign crystals, 3.57Mhz one can also be found in old telephones (I have some of them here.)

You could probably change crystal's frequency by just dropping something on it, like superglue (caring not to bind it to case) wich would elongate it and lower the frequency; but I really doubt you can get something precise that way!
ShawnLG
Sun Nov 26 2006, 01:51AM
ShawnLG Registered Member #286 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 04:52AM
I did find two of my crystals 18.1Mhz and 7.966Mhz when mixed together would give me 10.134Mhz. This would require much more circuitry.

UPDATE:

I have found a better crystal being 20.2752Mhz. When the frequency divided, this would give me 10.1376Mhz. So when Chris transmit on 10.141Mhz. I should see him around 3400Hz on spectran.

1164771808 286 FT1630 Qrss 101376

I am ready for contact!

Is it normal to hear interferance from TV on this frequency? It sounds like the RF from the TV video driver.
Chris Russell
Wed Nov 29 2006, 10:01PM
Chris Russell ... not Russel!
Registered Member #1 Joined: Thu Jan 26 2006, 12:18AM
ShawnLG, that looks perfect. Just remember that you'll want some thermal insulation there, too.

***UPDATE***

The first beacon test will be Sunday, December 3rd. I will start transmitting at 1200 UTC (0700 EST, 0400 PST) and keep it up for 24 hours, barring any technical difficulties. Transmissions will be centered on 10.141MHz, and will be sent in QRSS10 mode. Message will be in three parts: chirped-hell, dual frequency cw, and standard cw. It will loop every 30 minutes.

Note that if conditions are very poor, but not terrible, you may not see the chirped-hell part of the message, but will still be able to copy the cw and dfcw portions. So don't despair or start hunting around right away; wait at least ten minutes before concluding that you're not receiving anything. After ten minutes it's safe to either reposition your antenna, or hunt up and down the band for the signal. If you're still not getting anything, try back later, and hopefully band conditions will have improved. If you're able, leaving your program running, taking screencaps, would be a good idea, in case you can't be near the receiver when band conditions do improve.

I will transmit a second message later on this month, if there's anyone who is interested but isn't going to be ready with such short notice.

For those who want to know what the signal will look like, or for those who want the fun of trying to receive the beacon but don't have a radio, I'm attaching an mp3 with a message similar to the one I'll be transmitting. I've buried it under enough white noise to simulate poor band conditions, but your software should be able to recover it if you're going to have any hope of recovering the actual beacon. smile Please post your screencaps and/or results here.

]1164837714_1_FT18313_4hv_beacon.mp3[/file]
 1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: