Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Yet another coil gun prototype

Move Thread LAN_403
V2006
Wed Nov 21 2018, 08:14AM
V2006 Registered Member #61550 Joined: Thu Apr 06 2017, 03:23PM
Very beautiful. But with such an investment of time and labor, I would have wound it up manually a long time ago. And thicker wire
Zuckerstange47
Thu Nov 22 2018, 12:01AM
Zuckerstange47 Registered Member #61926 Joined: Wed Nov 22 2017, 04:08PM
DerAlbi wrote ...

I have built a 3d printed winding machine too (fully automatic) but it was way too flexible.[...] However I have found that there is no substantial loss in performance of the coil, if wound wild. It is really more a cosmetic thing. Keep going. Dont invest too much time in printing. Its too far from viable.

Wow, I can hardly imagine how long that machine took you to make. You do not have any images/videos of it, or do you? Did you construct it for mass facturing your coil gun?

I will not try to get perfect coils anymore, the wild winding style should be sufficient, but of course I still want to make some improvements. The last coil created the problem that I could not remove it from the acrylic tube without damaging the coil (see photo), even though I had several layers of paper wrapped around the tube to prevent this from happening. On the next try I will have stronger printed limitation-discs that can be slides without deformation, and I will take more care of the paperwork. Is this a common problem?

I only changed a little bit on my winding machine: The two pink big cog-wheels are directly connected to the nuts on the threaded rod (melted into it), so I can move the complete rod instead of just the central part like last time to prevent it from clogging up. Also I improved the wire routing and other minor things, but I know it is still very primitive. At least the conversion was fast and simple. Unfortunately I do not have enough wire to test it at the moment.

V2006 wrote ...

But with such an investment of time and labor, I would have wound it up manually a long time ago.
I guess you might be right, but I thought the procedure would have been too complex for a two handed person like me without some helping device. In the end my machine is just a mounting for the rod and a clamp for the wire, so I have to confess that a lot of time was wasted.

1542844586 61926 FT183129 Wp1140446

1542844586 61926 FT183129 Wp1140448
DerAlbi
Thu Nov 22 2018, 01:23AM
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
It was during the time i was new to CAD and 3D-Printing. It took about 10 weeks i guess. But i also wrote the software for the stepper motors, the wire tension system and the PC (usb) user interface where i could program the machine. I have the machine still in my room, but i dont plan to ever use it again - its not in shape for a photo. I didnt had full automatization in mind, but just to get a high quality coil (which i didnt get from the machine). It was basically a hind-winding machine, where my hands executed stepper motor sequences. Once refined i could ususally play sequences that wound 2 layers failry quickly.

Your coils look fine. You might want to make the sides of the coil former aluminum to make the sides stiffer. Put a layer of this brown packaging tape on it and treat it with vaseline (this makes the epoxy not stick to the sides). For the inner coil former i recommend POM plastic rods (get some from ebay). Epoxy does not stick to POM plastics.
Then use epoxy that does not hardens quickly. 1h minimum - better 3h to give you time to work. After every wound layer apply epoxy with a brush (you can clean the brush with acetone afterwards). Dont use too much epoxy or it will ooze out. After you are done, heat the coil up to 80 - 100°C which is easy by running current through it. You can use step-downs from ebay that can deliver 20A or more Link2 ; Heat the coil with high power, then let it sit at 10W power consumption to keep it warm.
With high temperature your epoxy will cure fast after you are done winding. It should give you very good coils and disassembly of the coilf ormer wont rip apart the coil.

That said, your coil shape seems a bit weird. They are very short and fat. Got such a short projectile?
V2006
Thu Nov 22 2018, 09:04AM
Zuckerstange47, I can send you my coils.
Zuckerstange47
Thu Nov 22 2018, 06:20PM
DerAlbi wrote ...

Your coils look fine. You might want to make the sides of the coil former aluminum to make the sides stiffer. Put a layer of this brown packaging tape on it and treat it with vaseline (this makes the epoxy not stick to the sides). For the inner coil former i recommend POM plastic rods (get some from ebay). Epoxy does not stick to POM plastics.
Then use epoxy that does not hardens quickly. 1h minimum - better 3h to give you time to work. After every wound layer apply epoxy with a brush (you can clean the brush with acetone afterwards). Dont use too much epoxy or it will ooze out. After you are done, heat the coil up to 80 - 100°C which is easy by running current through it. You can use step-downs from ebay that can deliver 20A or more Link2 ; Heat the coil with high power, then let it sit at 10W power consumption to keep it warm.
With high temperature your epoxy will cure fast after you are done winding. It should give you very good coils and disassembly of the coilf ormer wont rip apart the coil.

That said, your coil shape seems a bit weird. They are very short and fat. Got such a short projectile?

Thanks for the thorough advice! As Epoxy I was using "UHU Endfest", which has a very long hardening time. On the subject of the short coils: "Tomspol" wrote that ealier (14 posts above), too, but I did not understand why the coil should be of the same length as the projectile. From my little knowledge a shorter coil should have a stronger magnetic field, but I would like to be corrected if that is wrong. My plan was to make two different coils as a short-term objective and test which one works better.

V2006 wrote ...

Zuckerstange47, I can send you my coils.

Thank you for that offering, but I would like to make my own ones ("the route is the goal"). I already wasted too much time on the machine to stop making coils now cheesey Furthermore I already got new wire today.
V2006
Thu Nov 22 2018, 09:12PM
OK. Good luck
Zuckerstange47
Thu Nov 29 2018, 05:51PM
I just realized that I might not be able to build a coil gun the way I planned to, because I did not read the fineprint on some component's manual (and as mentioned earlier I am a newbee on the subject of electronics).
When looking at the datasheet I thought my MOSFET could be used for switching 209A @ 75V, but when looking at the "Maximum Safe Operating Area"-Graph it seems that the 209A (continuously) are only permitted at a voltage of about 1.4V, and that only 0.5A can be switched @75V for a time of 10ms. Is my interpretation correct?

PS: Attaching the file did not work...

There is the image:
Link2
DerAlbi
Thu Nov 29 2018, 06:05PM
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
Well, if your mosfet is on, then there is just little voltage drop across the mosfet (since Drain sopurce is virtually shorted), so the specs make sense. Also if your mosfet is off (Drain-Source not "shorted"), which allows the 75V across drain.source, then NO current will flow, so you are below the 0.5A rating as well.
The only critical thing is, switching from On to Off. There is a transition period where there is actually 200Amps AND 75V across the mosfet. the faster you switch the shorter the time. And you will switch faster than 10µs. So dont worry about the 10ms rating.
However the energy from the coil must go somewhere. The current will continue to flow even if the mosfet is off. A freewheeling diode wont conduct instantaniously but it will also take time for it to "turn on". This effect (forward recovery) does not exist in Schottky diodes, but they often dont have a beefy current rating and only 2x overload safety - in contrast to silicon diodes which suffer from slow forward recovery but are much more resistant to overloading.
Why am i telling you that? The time it takes the diode to take over the current is time that the mosfet spends in the transition state between on and off - this is what is (mainly) shown in the SOA diagram.
Honestly, just try and see what happens.
V2006
Thu Nov 29 2018, 09:05PM
Zuckerstange47 My offer is still valid.
Buy coils from me and become the first designer on this miserable planet.
the_anomaly
Thu Nov 29 2018, 11:29PM
the_anomaly Registered Member #19 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 03:19PM
Zuckerstange47 My offer is still valid.
Buy coils from me and become the first designer on this miserable planet.

The joy of learning is in the journey not the final result. Zuckerstange47 is learning by doing.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: