Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Ceramic HV capacitor as primary capacitor

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Flyglas
Mon Sept 03 2018, 09:49AM Print
Flyglas Registered Member #62305 Joined: Fri May 11 2018, 03:39PM
Hello,

does anybody has experience with ceramic high voltage capacitors as primary resonant capacitor?
At the moment I am searching for door knob style mica capacitors for my qcw coil project,
but my ebay search was not very fruitful.

Example of HV ceramic capacitor: https://psearch.en.murata.com/capacitor/lineup/dhs/#a02

greetings
Flyglas
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Mon Sept 03 2018, 03:53PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
I only use doorknob capacitors for TC's because they are nearly indestructible.

Mica capacitors are ONLY good for CW power, not pulsed. Mica capacitors in TC use can short due to non-uniformity of their mica dielectric and cause a "hot spot" which will eventually cause early failure of the mica and will short your charging system.

I lost a small transformer due to mica caps, and I know a guy who killed his PT with mica caps, he still wants to buy back his other PT from me as they are exceedingly rare now.

I only run the ceramic TDK caps because you can abuse them and they will survive, its a massive chunk of Strontium Titanate ceramic, and they work fine.

Coil with TDK caps. They are behind the rotary.
016f
Flyglas
Tue Sept 04 2018, 05:46PM
Thank you very much Hazmatt.

I did not know mica capacitors tend to build up hot spots. This is a good information.

I want to build a QCW coil and mica capacitors would be perfect for this.
It is very hard to find a suitable mica capacitors without paying a fortune. Because of that i will either try to use the door knob ceramic capacitors or building a classic MMC.

For my coil i only need around 12nF as primary capacitor. At the moment my plan is to arrange 11 assamblies of 20 parallel MKP capacitors (6,8n/1600V Kemet R76 series with lead spacing 15mm) in series. --> 12.36nF/17.6kV with a current handling capabiltiy of 40 A(rms) at 400 kHz

I can buy this typ of capacitor for only EUR 0.2 a piece.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Wed Sept 05 2018, 12:48AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
You'll find one eventually, they always turn up.

Like this one, he's like 25 lbs of capacitor!

005f
teravolt
Thu Sept 06 2018, 04:34AM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
mica transmitter caps are exhalent but for a SGTC Maxwell caps are good to. door knob and Russian caps are good if they are pulse rated. Any cap should have a 200% voltage rating ie. 15kvac should use a 30kv cap and have a low esr, esl. and high di/dt rating. you also may balance that with cost mica is grate but expensive Any how this is how I would approach.
MRMILSTAR
Thu Sept 06 2018, 02:28PM
MRMILSTAR Registered Member #62119 Joined: Sun Feb 04 2018, 04:59AM
I second the Maxwell caps. That is what I use on my large SGTC. They are low ESR and this is what they are made for. Just be certain that you stay within the specs:

* Maximum voltage reversal
* Maximum voltage
* Maximum PPS (pulses per second)

My coil uses 6 of the Maxwell model 37667 (30 nF, max 35 KV, max 20% VR, max 500 PPS) in a series-parallel configuration to yield a 45 nF capacitance with max 70 KV. You certainly wouldn't buy them new because they are horribly expensive but they can be purchased used for a reasonable price. There are only two disadvantages. One is that, as used units, you don't know how much life is left in them but I have never had a problem with failure. The other is that it may be hard to find multiple identical Maxwells.

It is much simpler to connect a small number (6 for my coil) of Maxwell capacitors together instead of 100 or more for an MMC array. If one fails it is also a lot easier to isolate the bad capacitor.

Two of the Maxwell model 37667 in series would give you capacitance of 15 nF which is close to your 12 nF. It would also be rated for 70 kV at up to 500 PPS.
Hydron
Thu Sept 06 2018, 05:32PM
Hydron Registered Member #30656 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 02:40AM
Flyglas wrote ...

For my coil i only need around 12nF as primary capacitor. At the moment my plan is to arrange 11 assamblies of 20 parallel MKP capacitors (6,8n/1600V Kemet R76 series with lead spacing 15mm) in series. --> 12.36nF/17.6kV with a current handling capabiltiy of 40 A(rms) at 400 kHz

I can buy this typ of capacitor for only EUR 0.2 a piece.
This is very similar to what I have done - I used 256x of these capacitors for a 8s32p 24.8nF/12.8kV MMC: Link2 (price has gone up a little since, thanks Brexit!). These caps give impressive RMS/Peak current and voltage ratings (even are rated at higher than nominal voltage for a limited duty cycle and time period during their life - perfect for a tesla coil application!) - from memory I think it ends up at ~60A RMS / 600A pk (at ~350kHz), more than I need.

Your design sounds pretty sensible, and the use of film caps also similar to what other QCWs have successfully used. Depending on what peak current you're aiming for, you may not need such a high DC voltage rating for yours (though the cheap caps make it mostly academic).

As for mine, 24.8nF is a pretty large value for a QCW MMC - I'm experimenting with a lower impedance tank circuit than is usually used in a QCW coil. It has not been pushed anywhere near it's limits yet, but seems to work well so far. I have mounted mine on PCBs, with 32 caps per board and 2x series SMD bleed resistors (1206 high voltage rated ones) underneath each cap. If you're interested in the design files then send me a PM.

Finally on a completely different topic, are you trying to reverse engineer an Weller WX series iron on another forum? I recognise the username Flyglas.
Flyglas
Fri Sept 07 2018, 04:13PM
MRMILSTAR wrote ...

Two of the Maxwell model 37667 in series would give you capacitance of 15 nF which is close to your 12 nF. It would also be rated for 70 kV at up to 500 PPS.
Thank you. I will check the Maxwell model 37667. Perhaps I am lucky and can by two of them for the suggested 2s configuration.
You are completely right with the argument of finding defect capacitors in a big MMC.

Hydron wrote ...

Your design sounds pretty sensible, and the use of film caps also similar to what other QCWs have successfully used. Depending on what peak current you're aiming for, you may not need such a high DC voltage rating for yours (though the cheap caps make it mostly academic).
Thanks for the feedback on my 11s20p configuraton. The current rating 60 A RMS (with 32p) and 40 A RMS (with 20p) is also plausible. Around 2 A RMS per capacitor. It was not my goal to have a 11s configuration. The number results from the current rating, the capacitor value (i only get 6.8n/1600V on the cheap) and the desired final capacitance.

I will also order PCBs to connect the capacitors. My idea is to design a round PCB and mount the capacitors along the circumference (with the bottom to the center of the circle). So there is only one potential on every PCB. At the end I will have a big rod out of capacitors. This assembly is completely symmetrical and i hope to achieve an even current distribution. Perhaps this is not really necessary.

Hydron wrote ...

Finally on a completely different topic, are you trying to reverse engineer an Weller WX series iron on another forum? I recognise the username Flyglas.
Yes, that's me. I have build a solder station replacement to use a WMRP soldering handpiece Link2 During this time i contributed to this thread Link2 I visted this link today and the thread is now much longer. You printed my hand drawn WXMP schematic :)
MRMILSTAR
Fri Sept 07 2018, 07:29PM
MRMILSTAR Registered Member #62119 Joined: Sun Feb 04 2018, 04:59AM
Probably not as cheap as you can find on E-Bay, when you can find them, but here is a source for used Maxwell 37667 capacitors. $250 for two would probably compare favorably with the cost of an equivalently rated MMC array.

Link2

I see that you are located in Germany so shipping may be prohibitive.
Flyglas
Fri Sept 07 2018, 07:40PM
MRMILSTAR wrote ...

Probably not as cheap as you can find on E-Bay, when you can find them, but here is a source for used Maxwell 37667 capacitors. $250 for two would probably compare favorably with the cost of an equivalent MMC array.

Link2

Thank you. They are currently out of stock. With the cheap MKP caps (220x0,2 EUR=44 EUR) the MMC will be incredible cheap.
I think at first I will try my configuration described in an earlier post.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: