All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Gas handling?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Conundrum
Thu Aug 09 2018, 09:54AM Print
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Hi, I recently had an intriguing discussion regarding the mire of legal regulations surrounding gases, both inert and otherwise.

As far as I can make out, shops are allowed to sell cylinders fine as this is a "low risk".

If you have an existing oxy-acetylene system which is at least approved, provided it is maintained correctly by an engineer who has the "Gas Safe" certification then this can be used as long as it is 1) outdoors, and 2) clearly cordoned off and secured so silly fools can't mess with it.
One biggie is to ensure that only safe carriers are used. Anything that can tip over or fall is unsafe.

Oxygen *systems* are permitted if for medical use: see appropriate regulations and in fact the cylinders for such use are higher grade and often far more suitable (and expensive!) due to low CO2/etc contamination.
Any other use depends on the exact configuration.
The difficulty I have is getting parts: buying a used oxy setup is possible but the second I buy it the chances are it will become illegal and need to be re-certified due to the Gas Safe issue.
If the acetylene part is empty (likely) then this is even more complex as it would be an off-label use and I'd be at risk of legal repercussions even if following best practice.
One thing I must *never* do is leave it in a vehicle, etc unattended as this would be considered "failure to adequately secure" and as such a certified padlock would then be needed on both regulators to ensure this can't be turned on by accident.

The regulators sold specifically for oxygen are "idiot proof" and thus far more expensive.
One thing they do insist upon is using correct lubrication and never to use anything else as this *WILL* void warranty and other
such legal protections in addition to being a severe fire risk.
Buying from overseas may be feasible but its a risk given the above.

Sorry to rant but have I missed anything?

Sulaiman
Thu Aug 09 2018, 10:00AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
About one year ago I telephoned my local B.O.C. depot;
. for private use they can deliver oxygen, acetylene, regulators etc.
. no license required for ownership, storage or usage
. may invalidate insurance and mortgage policies
Ash Small
Thu Aug 09 2018, 06:02PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Due to the unique hazards associated with acetylene cylinders, surely it makes more sense to use oxy-propane these days, as it is at least as readily available as acetylene, and at least as efficient?
Sulaiman
Fri Aug 10 2018, 08:01AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
oxy-propane seems to be favourite for scientific glass blowers / lampworkers,

the risks associated with acetylene cylinders are quite low,
by my amateur science and engineering standards - very low.

if you are going to have a home gas torch then why not go for the highest temperature practicable cheesey

moderately priced used oxy-acetylene torches are available via eBay.
Conundrum
Sat Aug 11 2018, 05:45PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
As its the oxygen I need (for HTSCs) this may simplify things.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sat Aug 11 2018, 06:08PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Oxy Propane is ~ 4800 F, There's no need for Acetylene.

I'm not a good glassblower, but propane works fine.

I was given a bottle of Propylene, but it is a miserable gas to burn, it is very sooty and clogs the torch, so it forces you to shut down every so often. I never had that problem with Propane.

The other issue is you are wearing Dydimum glasses to block out the soda flare, but guess what, Acetylene burns with such intensity (breaking triple bonds) that you get a LOT of UV coming off that cone, so you're staring at UV for hours on end with the wrong protection on your eyes... NOT A GOOD IDEA!

And you wouldn't be able to 'read' the glass with a shade 3 And Didymium glasses on at the same time.

So just use Propane.

With a multi-fuel tip you can cut steel (we cut up to 1/2" thick with a cheapo torch handle)

And mostly what I use are the National Blowpipes. They are reasonably priced, and you can change the tips easily.
I like the #3 tip for most jobs, that's small tubing.

For any real work you do need a foot switch for an oxygen boost, which is better to be an electric solenoid over a mechanical hydraulic switch. I have to rig up an electronic solenoid some day, I use the mechanical switch for a long while but it can be awkward.
radiotech
Mon Aug 13 2018, 05:13AM
radiotech Registered Member #2463 Joined: Wed Nov 11 2009, 03:49AM
In the first place, I am not a welder. But have worked with them in many
aspects of industrial electricity. Often in dingy dark places when something broke down.

A welder can quickly adjust his torch to produce a brilliant light so others can see.

He holds it aloft.

Can oxy-propane do this as well ?

The welder doesn't need light to weld. All his comes through his mask glass.

Ash Small
Mon Aug 13 2018, 09:14AM
radiotech wrote ...

In the first place, I am not a welder. But have worked with them in many
aspects of industrial electricity. Often in dingy dark places when something broke down.

A welder can quickly adjust his torch to produce a brilliant light so others can see.

He holds it aloft.

Can oxy-propane do this as well ?

The welder doesn't need light to weld. All his comes through his mask glass.

Oxy-propane is just as bright as oxy-acetylene.

A foot switch was mentioned above, but the torches I've used had a trigger to control oxygen feed.
the_anomaly
Mon Aug 13 2018, 11:51AM
the_anomaly Registered Member #19 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 03:19PM

For glass blowing I'm sure its fine but for steel work you want acetylene. That extra flame temp makes a difference when trying to locally heat a spot.

As its the oxygen I need (for HTSCs) this may simplify things.

What is HTSCs?
Ash Small
Mon Aug 13 2018, 01:47PM
the_anomaly wrote ...

For glass blowing I'm sure its fine but for steel work you want acetylene. That extra flame temp makes a difference when trying to locally heat a spot.

This is rubbish, oxy-propane will cut through inch thick steel instantly if you want it to.

Do you actually have experience of using an oxy-propane torch?

I don't think I've even seen an oxy-acetylene set in forty years, I used to regularly use oxy-propane for cutting in places I worked during the noughties.

EDIT:- "A common propane/air flame burns at about 2,250 K (1,980 °C; 3,590 °F),[2] a propane/oxygen flame burns at about 2,526 K (2,253 °C; 4,087 °F),[3] an oxyhydrogen flame burns at 3,073 K (2,800 °C; 5,072 °F), and an acetylene/oxygen flame burns at about 3,773 K (3,500 °C; 6,332 °F).[4]"

oxy-acetylene is hotter than oxy-propane, but when are you going to need more than 2,250C?

Propane is cheaper than acetylene, and easier to transport/store. Propane uses more oxygen, but is cheaper and easier to live with.

EDIT:- Link2
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: