Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Calculating Primary Current / Impedance

Move Thread LAN_403
swordfish
Tue Jul 24 2018, 02:42AM Print
swordfish Registered Member #3218 Joined: Mon Sept 20 2010, 10:42AM
Hi All,

I have a quick question I hope someone can help with about primary current, or maybe more correctly, primary impedance calculations.

Calculations I see for primary current use the formula I = V/sqrt(L1/C1). However, literature for series LC circuits seems to state that at the resonant frequency Xl = Xc, and therefore the impedance drops to that provided by pure resistance. Is anyone able to explain why we use the above formula rather than assuming purely resistive losses? I know I'm missing something here!

Many thanks,

Greg
Sulaiman
Tue Jul 24 2018, 03:47AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
the primary capacitor is in parallel with the primary inductance
swordfish
Tue Jul 24 2018, 04:01AM
Ah yes, I see now. Makes more sense looking at it as a parallel resonant circuit! Thanks!
Dr. Slack
Tue Jul 24 2018, 06:25AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Resistive losses are 'small', therefore the current is controlled by energy considerations, at least initially.

The formula I = V/sqrt(L/C) is just another way of saying I^2L/2 (energy stored in primary due to current) = V^2C/2 (energy stored in capacitor due to voltage).
Uspring
Tue Jul 24 2018, 09:37AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
Is that a SGTC or a DRSSTC you are asking about? In a SGTC primary inductance and capacitance are in parallel, while in a DRSSTC they are in series.
Fumeaux
Tue Jul 24 2018, 03:54PM
Fumeaux Registered Member #61890 Joined: Sun Nov 05 2017, 05:57PM
I think I have an useful tool for you: http://www.classictesla.com/java/javatc3d/javatc3d.html

There you can look at an array of varius (some are useful) calculations.
klugesmith
Tue Jul 24 2018, 08:36PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
The series/parallel question is a good opportunity to discuss duality.

A simple LC tank circuit (figure A) is series, because both components share a current. It's also parallel, because the components share a voltage. As Dr Slack said, the voltage/current magnitude ratio is the tank impedance Z = sqrt(L/C).
1532463807 2099 FT182694 Tesla Lc

If you add an impedance-vs-frequency meter in series (figure B), the reading matches "series circuit" formula. High Z at DC.
If you add an impedance-vs-frequency meter in parallel (figure C), the reading matches "parallel circuit" formula. Low Z at DC.

[edit] Cases B and C are equally disruptive to the original circuit. One has a new voltage element sharing the common current; the other has a new current element sharing the common voltage.

Now back to question in OP. The log |Z| vs log f chart at the bottom of figure B has a wide V shape. Its asympotes are |Z| = 1/wC below resonance and |Z| = wL above resonance. (here using w in place of radian frequency ω = 2 pi f.) The asymptotes cross at the resonant frequency, where 1/w = sqrt(LC), and |Z| for the capacitor and inductor are both sqrt(L/C).

What about that narrow impedance dip at resonance, you asked? It goes down to the circuit's resistance value, far far below sqrt(L/C). Well that means that at resonance, the driver (our Z meter) needs to force only a tiny voltage to see a large current. Or conversely, if the Z meter is forcing a fixed current, it sees a very small voltage between the terminals. The voltages across the capacitor and inductor are still sqrt(L/C) times the current, either way.

In other words, at resonance, the third voltage element in figure B has a very small value with respect to the current and the tank voltage. The third current element in figure C has a very small value with respect to the voltage and the tank current.
Does that help? [\edit]

The tank in a DRSSTC could theoretically be driven either way, though component limitations seem to favor an AC source in series. In SGTC we charge the cap through inductor in series (switch open). Then close the switch (spark gap), so the LC resonates as in figure A. Same as figure B, with the forcing voltage source stepped to 0 volts.

swordfish
Tue Jul 24 2018, 10:21PM
Thanks very much everyone for the advice, I think I understand it sufficiently now. Appreciate the effort some of you have gone to to help!

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: