Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
a.gutzeit (63)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Preparing High Voltage Oil.

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
klugesmith
Fri Jul 13 2018, 01:11AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
I've got spiral-reinforced vacuum hose available for the cost of shipping.

1531443912 2099 FT182547 Dscn7036

And know that when industrial pad-mounted transformers are vacuum potted,
they evacuate the chamber without oil. Then admit dry, degassed oil into the vacuum. This is better than putting in the oil first, then expecting all tiny bubbles to escape just because they expand under partial vacuum. (High vacuum is impossible under oil, unless you turn off the gravity. Even then, the internal pressure & expansion ratio of gas bubbles would be limited by surface tension of the oil).

For simply applying vacuum to oil, it's silly to aim for vacuum pressure lower than the hydrostatic pressure at the bottom of whatever depth of oil is in your container. A few torr?
Ash Small
Fri Jul 13 2018, 04:52PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
I'd reccomend an old Welch roughing pump your side of the pond, the older belt driven ones are pretty simple to maintain.

If you use a chamber with a window (I designed one once that was cylindrical steel, with a plate welded on one end, with a 1/2" thick perspex or similar window in the top), you can see when it stops bubbling.

You can buy 'L' shaped rubber seals for bell jars, they stretch, so you need a steel tube slightly larger than the nominal seal size.

There's a recent thread here somewhere where John F advises using a glass storage jar as a bell jar. Always best to use a perspex or similar safety screen, although I've even used a cracked bell jar without incident. As the crack enlarged, it started leaking more.
Patrick
Sat Jul 14 2018, 04:31AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
ok take a look at the series of elements.

1531542673 2431 FT182547 New Layout

1531543269 2431 FT1630 Train

1531543168 2431 FT1630 Thingie
some trains from Dad too.

there is that mysterous thing. i'd like to change it to FIP or something, not compression and not flare. but that thing looks important.
2Spoons
Sat Jul 14 2018, 06:10AM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
klugesmith wrote ...

For simply applying vacuum to oil, it's silly to aim for vacuum pressure lower than the hydrostatic pressure at the bottom of whatever depth of oil is in your container. A few torr?

I disagree. Oil by itself in a container will allow both diffusion and convection to occur - so any water deep in the oil will eventually make its way to the surface and evaporate. Though obviously this will happen faster in a wide shallow container.

What you don't want to do is go below the vapor pressure of the oil - or it will boil off and contaminate your vacuum pump oil. Which will then limit your ultimate vacuum when you try to use the pump for other things.

That 'funny thing' looks like it might be a valve meant to stop pump oil getting back into the evacuated system.
the_anomaly
Sat Jul 14 2018, 12:43PM
the_anomaly Registered Member #19 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 03:19PM
For epoxy you might have a hard time degassing if the viscosity is much higher than water/oil. I used a thermal epoxy with a CPS around 30,000 which gave dismal performance after vacuum. We cut a side view of the bond and looking under a microscope, I saw lots of voids still. I've used 15 mins under vacuum and had good results with oil.

One thing I have wanted to try is using an old cell phone vibrator motor. It's not the same as ultrasound but I wonder if its vibration would be enough to aid degassing/mixing.
Patrick
Sat Jul 14 2018, 09:53PM
the_anomaly wrote ...

For epoxy you might have a hard time degassing if the viscosity is much higher than water/oil.
Its water thin.
ConKbot of Doom
Tue Jul 17 2018, 04:39PM
ConKbot of Doom Registered Member #509 Joined: Sat Feb 10 2007, 07:02AM
Ash Small wrote ...

I'd reccomend an old Welch roughing pump your side of the pond, the older belt driven ones are pretty simple to maintain.

Seconded on the belt drive Welch pumps. I've had a 20+ year old one at work used for degassing epoxy spit out a wad of dried epoxy when using something with high solvent content. Apparently years back before I even worked there it had ingested some epoxy that had overflowed and just kept on going.

Definitely mind your hose ID as the flow rate on the vacuum side is pretty much constant, and with a small hose, the pressure drop can limit your ultimate vacuum more than you'd imagine, so a gauge mounted on the pump skid may show a nice low pressure, when the transformer tank is still at the vapor pressure of the water, misleading you to think your oil has dried out.
So at 1-2 CFM that a nice belt drive rotary vane can move, trying to keep your pressure drop at a few millibar/torr/unit-of-choice you end up with 1/2"-1"ID wire reinforced hose.

For drying operations, keep the gas ballast open to reduce pump oil water contamination, and mind your exhaust, which will have a lovely oil mist.
Patrick
Thu Jul 19 2018, 04:47AM
pics
1531975670 2431 FT182547 Vac1
Here we see the string of tubes valve and ball valve.

1531975670 2431 FT182547 Vac2
Pretty strong it seems, i like small robust modular "pull it out of storage and use it" solutions. I dont like chasing components all over the place.

1531975670 2431 FT182547 Vac3
I think this shows it pretty well,

1531975670 2431 FT182547 Vac4
The vacuum trap at an angle. Im going to make a label that says "Vacuum trap, Not a bomb." and put it on that pipe side. or i can sew together a canvas tube-like bag that has two holes.

Im wondering if i can make an oil exhaust trap with cloth and a open pipe end, like one of those tiny 2-cycle pocket bike exhausts. Its an open ended pipe with no restriction, just has cloth around the length and ID of the pipe. The guage is just to reveal the presence of near or zero pressure or atmopsheric pressure or what not. many experiments may only need like 1/3 of an atmosphere or whatever, this will be use for many things not just super low pressure. obviously the guage of this quality (12$) doest show the real low pressure stuff.

ConKbot of Doom wrote ...

....keep the gas ballast open to reduce pump oil water contamination...
i dont know what this means, please elaborate. Ive read some simple articles.

Patrick
Sun Aug 19 2018, 07:54PM
ok i solved the compression MIP FIP fiasco.

1534708441 2431 FT182547 Vac Pump With Mod 1
I milled the original end off, opened up the threaded end to a tight fit, milled the barbed end down to a tight fit and then pressed the two together with "no clean" flux. removing the plastic end i then soldered the two together then fully air-tight i then cleaned it thoroughly with acetone. i then used aircraft epoxy with added glass microfiber to mechanically prevent the barbed end from breaking off if its hit by something.

1534708441 2431 FT182547 Pump With Mod 2
i reassembled it and it seems to work well, better than a long string of magic conversion pieces.
vircator
Sat Aug 25 2018, 08:23AM
vircator Registered Member #3217 Joined: Mon Sept 20 2010, 06:14AM
What kind of oil do you guys use for HV application and from where did you get it? I have several big capacitors in need for a refill.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: