Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

First Coil Build (w/pictures and a question)

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Charles73
Tue Jun 26 2018, 01:12AM Print
Charles73 Registered Member #61343 Joined: Mon Dec 05 2016, 05:38AM
Hey everyone,

My first TC build is coming along nicely. I still need to mount the Spark Gap, fabricate Primary support combs, and a few other odds and ends (including wiring the thing), but I'm really happy with it so far. It's finally looking like a Tesla Coil instead of a pile of parts, which has me really excited.

Here it is so far. Currently, it has a 12x3 toroid, but I'm saving up for an 18x4.5.

QSMR7kF

Spark Gap (not yet installed):

ZVNKyQ0

Beginnings of the Terry Filter beside the 15/60 Franceformer:

KgoBsIh

Cap Bank beside area for Spark Gap:

B2nDWwy

One thing I'm concerned about is the size of the capacitor bank. I was told that ten [942C20P15K-F] will work, but I see many builders putting 40 (or more) in there. Thus, I have reserved space for three more stacks of ten, just in case. *The brown standoff insulators will actually be going on 3" HDPE risers to accommodate that and the blower used for the spark gap.

The other question I have is about grounding. I know there have been many debates on this, so I want to make sure I have it all straight. Here's a sketch of one grounding scheme I have considered:

Sb2xODi

In this sketch, I am considering running two independent ground rods - one for RF Ground and one for NST and Terry Filter ground. Possibly leaving the EMI Filter on Mains ground. Or I could eliminate the second ground and bond the NST/Terry Filter/EMI Filter to mains ground. What are the opinions on this?

Doodlebug
Tue Jun 26 2018, 12:18PM
Doodlebug Registered Member #62084 Joined: Wed Jan 10 2018, 09:04AM
What a beautiful looking coil. Antique looking and I love the mahogany looking bases and legs.
Charles73
Wed Jun 27 2018, 02:18AM
Thank you so much! I'm really proud of this.
Charles73
Tue Jul 03 2018, 01:51AM
Edited
hen918
Tue Jul 03 2018, 02:32AM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
Charles73 wrote ...

Wow, either this forum is dead or no one cares about the beginners anymore. Either way, what a shame... This place used to be so interactive.

Not sure when you are referring to, but when there are no comments, usually you are on the right track.
Charles73
Tue Jul 03 2018, 03:29AM
hen918 wrote ...

Not sure when you are referring to, but when there are no comments, usually you are on the right track.

That's encouraging - thank you. I guess no news is good news.
Dr. Slack
Tue Jul 03 2018, 08:57AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Grounding usually provokes a debate, as few people really understand it, but instead go by rules of thumb. You have to be aware of where current 'wants' to flow, at these frequencies, at these voltages, before deciding where to place the conductors. Grounding has to achieve several aims, including mains safety, and freedom from EMI, which emphasise different aspects.

At mains frequencies and impedance levels, current flows along wires, taking the path of least resistance, you can ignore capacitance. At Tesla frequencies and impedance levels, current flows along the path of least impedance, through sub-pF capacitances, setting up 10s of volts, 100s, or even multiple kV across long pieces of wire that have significant inductance (like a long wire to an earth spike in the ground).

The three scenarios that coils tend to get used in (from easiest to worst) are ...
1) In an open field, with or without a conductive counterpoise beneath the coil
2) In a garage or apartment, with a conductive counterpoise beneath the coil
3) In a garage or apartment, without a conductive counterpoise beneath the coil.

What is the loop that secondary current flows in? It starts at the secondary bottom terminal, through the topload, and then through the capacitance from topload to anything conductive near the topload. That's the ground, the counterpoise, wiring in the walls (earth, live and neutral conductors), drywall (at these impedance levels, oh yes). From all those grounds, it has to get back to the secondary bottom terminal. If there's a long wire in the way of that return, it will develop whatever voltage across it that it needs to to flow through it. If that voltage isn't where you want it, like between your mains earth and live conductors, then you'll inject EMI into your mains wiring, and interfere with (at best) or fry (at worst) anything connected to it.

As all the return current has to return to the secondary bottom terminal, put a common terminal at or very near that point, and we nominate this to be 'ground'. Connect that to your counterpoise if you're using one. That's where you ground your safety gaps. If you're in a field, that's where you attach your ground spike, on a short wire. That's where your mains filter grounds.

In a field is the easiest scenario to control. If you're in an apartment, there's always wiring in the walls and ceilings you can't control. Plug an RF filter into each socket, this shorts the L, N, and E wires together at RF frequencies. Take the ground of that filter to your nominated coil ground. This should minimise RF getting into the mains.

Wwhat the Tesla coil 'thinks of' as its ground is not the same as a mains ground. The RF ground is the point under the secondary, that connects to all those 'groundish' conductors, whatever words you use to try to pretend that mains ground or an earth spike is in fact the RF 'ground'. For mains safety, blowing fuses and all that, the mains ground and ground spikes are what's important. Connect the two grounds together at the TC's nominated RF ground point. The mains won't care about any long wires, the RF will.

Graham Armitage
Mon Jul 16 2018, 08:36PM
Graham Armitage Registered Member #6038 Joined: Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:31AM
Great looking first coil. Better than my first one :)

You asked about the capacitor bank. Not sure what size capacitance it is, but remember to impedance match the secondary of the NST to the MMC bank at 50/60Hz. That is so you get the maximum power transfer from the NST to the primary circuit. Once you have that capacitance value, use this calculator to get the right configuration - Link2

Now that you have the right capacitance value, you can determine the correct primary winding to match resonant frequency with the secondary system.

Also noticed that the primary coil is sitting quite low below the bottom of the primary. Is it possible to raise it in line with the bottom as you may get better coupling. Check JavaTC for that. Look forward to seeing it running.
Gordon
Tue Jul 17 2018, 03:07PM
Gordon Registered Member #61983 Joined: Fri Dec 08 2017, 12:07AM
Wow great job it looks amazing.
I agree with Graham, use javatc it will help figure out/get close to the capacitance that would be ideal and your MMC. As far as grounding from my testing having a dedicated ground rod that's close to the coil seemed to help with the performance, don't know if it was because the house had a poor ground or just a faster route to ground, even though I believe it was because it was a shorter distance that helped, but anyway I have always tied my Terry filter, nst, strike rail, and secondary to the same ground. Plus using the dedicated ground takes away the thought or worry of it effecting anything you have plugged in your house.
Charles73
Thu Jul 26 2018, 04:49AM
Hey guys, thank you so much for the compliments and input! One thing I did want to clarify is that the primary coil was not in its final position for those photos. I will post some pics of its current progress below :). I'm still waiting on my 18" toroid. I'll probably end up using the 12" "stand-in" toroid as a ground/strike pole. I'm also going to be adding 30 capacitors to the MMC. I'll essentially add three layers to what I already have: 40 total; 2 strings of 20.

G8R7PWX

MMC/Spark Gap
Mxb74H1

NST/Terry Filter (all yet-to-be-wired)
BdprKP1

Primary Coil/Strike Rail
ApInSeu
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: