ramses (16)
Arcstarter (31)
Zak (15)

Next birthdays
05/12 Colin 99 (53)
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Quarter shrinker charging resistors

Move Thread LAN_403
Signification
Tue Jun 19 2018, 06:46PM
Signification Registered Member #54278 Joined: Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:42AM
I think this will be really rough on the resistor: If I did the calculation correctly, then the resistor can dissipate 13.7kW max peak!! Assuming, (for worst case conditions), of 60mA, 102uF, and 7kJ. Although things won't be this bad, and only exist briefly, worst case, this large dissipation in the resistor bothers me. It depends on how long you intend to take to charge the cap to 7kJ--do you have a charge time in mind? As you probably know, 7000J stored in this capacitor is right at 12kV. However, this sounds light a fairly reasonable energy for first go at the coin...maybe a tad high. Most importantly, don't forget the high velocity sharp hot shrapnel!! Gort-suit maybe?

@ klughsmith: Yes, in my experience, a powered NST output will last and last shorted--BUT NOT OPEN-CIRCUITED.
klugesmith
Tue Jun 19 2018, 10:12PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Bowing in respect to Signification, for having gotten the quarter-shrinking thing down & living to tell us about it.

Sounds like 7 kJ is too much energy to make attractive shrunken quarters, unless the design is inefficient. (e.g. work coil turns count is poorly matched to the capacitance value, or the interconnection circuit has unnecessarily high inductance). With attention to those details, Mr.Mil might get good results with only 11 kV, which is within reach of a safely grounded NST with two-diode rectifier.
1529440083 2099 FT182410 Qse

The presence of two HV terminals on the 102 uF capacitor opens up design options. In particular: use of full-wave bridge rectifier, for generous charging voltage margin. Now the NST case and capacitor case can both be grounded. That's safer for the devices as well as for humans. If left floating, the cases could be charged to hazardous voltage levels by unsymmetric leakage currents or corona currents. And that also puts un-necessary voltage stresses on insulation inside the NST and capacitor.

Using your 10K res (x2, with symmetric charger?) as a discharge resistor(s) might not be horribly abusive. Those big ceramic tube resistors are rated for 10x overload for 5 seconds. For a nominal 225 W unit, that's 2.25 kW x 5 seconds = more than 11 kJ. Sure, if the cap were at 11 kV then the initial current is 1.1 A, for 12.1 KW. But it decays with RC = 1 second. Total temperature rise of the resistor (inertially cooled) would be only 55% of the datasheet tolerable overload case.
Link2
p.s. my table includes 6 kV on the 52 uF cap, because IIRC that was enough to cut cans in half. Right before work was suspended in 2006. Might be a good warmup project for MrMilStar.
IMHO, magneforming projects like these would be appropriate topics for Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators board.
MRMILSTAR
Wed Jun 20 2018, 03:32AM
MRMILSTAR Registered Member #62119 Joined: Sun Feb 04 2018, 04:59AM
I don't have my calculator in front of me but I anticipate the maximum charge time to be no more than 30 seconds with a 10K ohm charging resistor. So, yes the power rating of the resistor looks way overloaded even with a 225 W resistor. But, as was stated, you have to look at the duty cycle which is less than 30 seconds. If you went strictly by the power rating of the charging resistor needed, you would end up with a resistance you just can't reasonably build at the power level needed. The same arguments apply to the discharge resistors. I plan on using ten 5K ohm resistors rated at 225 watts each in series to get a 50K ohm discharge resistance.

Even though the power level of these resistors looks excessive, I have studied what other have built with their quarter shrinkers. Over-loaded resistors seem to be the norm because they rely on low duty cycle operation for cooling.

I don't want to connect any part of this device to mains ground. I don't want to take the chance of an accidental high voltage discharge getting back into my house wiring. The NST should be fine with the case ungrounded because the core is still internally tied to the center tap of the secondary. All circuits will be disconnected from main power before firing to prevent any possibility of a discharge getting into the house wiring. No ground appears to be necessary because no one will be touching anything on the device during operation. All circuit activation will be done either by air or tension strings with springs. There will be no wires of any kind between the device and the operator. After discharging the capacitor terminals will shorted.
klugesmith
Wed Jun 20 2018, 05:35AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
When charging the capacitor through a series resistor, the power & energy lost in the resistor is commonly MUCH less than the power and cumulative energy going into the capacitor.

For example, if you switch the NST on full blast, charging current starts at 60 mA and gets smaller after that. 600V drop in 10k res. 36 watts, max.

Or even with a non current-limiting transformer, if you limit current by dialing the voltage up gradually with a variac, as Signification suggests -- energy loss in the R is a tiny fraction of CV^2/2.

The resistor power gets large (and wasteful) only if you are depending on that resistance to limit the current. For example, switching on a 10 kV, 1 ampere DC power supply. Where are you going to plug that in? smile

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: