Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Newbie on a learning curve

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Andy Kay
Tue Jul 17 2018, 09:40PM
Andy Kay Registered Member #62265 Joined: Sat Apr 28 2018, 11:26AM
Gordon wrote ...

Here's mine using saltwater capacitors with 12 beer bottles in a 5 gallon bucket gave me 12.5 uf but not efficient but worked Link2
That's awesome. I like the mini-streamers where the aluminium foil is kinked... looks cool.
Gordon wrote ...

Here are some cheap capacitors that work they haven't blown up yet but they work they ship from China so it takes awhile to get here but using these you have to parallel resistors to each capacitor.
TOOGOO(R) 100pcs CBB Metallized Polypropylene Capacitors 104J 0.1uF 1600V Font color white, black random Link2
I already have a pack of those waiting for me to engage in earnest. Gathering all the bits together always seems to make the actual task seem less daunting. I also have a 200 pack of 1W 1mohm resistors that I've been wiring 4 in series and then covering in heat-shrink to get the voltage tolerance up. They work well in the Marx generator, which is driven from a TV-style flyback transformer so I'm guessing upwards of 20kV.
Fumeaux
Wed Jul 18 2018, 06:34PM
Fumeaux Registered Member #61890 Joined: Sun Nov 05 2017, 05:57PM
I think i have an idea for you. First you can approximate the frequencies with an online tesla coil design software (I can recommend http://www.classictesla.com/java/javatc3d/ javatc3d.html for that purpose). Secondly you can tune most tesla circuits in a certain range. This is true for SGTC (tapping the primary coil) and most solid state can be tuned too (for an SSTC I think this might be a solid starting point http://uzzors2k.4hv.org/projectfiles/pllsstc1/PLL% 20Half-bridge%20SSTC%201.GIF).

If you want to go the SGTC route, you need a HV-transformator and caps. The easiest thing is probably to gut some microwaves for the transformators and hv-caps.

I hope that helped a little.
Andy Kay
Wed Jul 18 2018, 11:46PM
Fumeaux wrote ...

I think i have an idea for you. First you can approximate the frequencies with an online tesla coil design software (I can recommend http://www.classictesla.com/java/javatc3d/ javatc3d.html for that purpose). Secondly you can tune most tesla circuits in a certain range. This is true for SGTC (tapping the primary coil) and most solid state can be tuned too (for an SSTC I think this might be a solid starting point http://uzzors2k.4hv.org/projectfiles/pllsstc1/PLL% 20Half-bridge%20SSTC%201.GIF).

If you want to go the SGTC route, you need a HV-transformator and caps. The easiest thing is probably to gut some microwaves for the transformators and hv-caps.

I hope that helped a little.
Thank you for this... that is a really interesting circuit. It took me a little while to work out what is going on but now the penny has dropped it looks really inviting. Incidentally, I have two MOTs and HV capacitors and I would like to get around to building a SGTC eventually, but the SSTC you suggested looks more enticing right now. (I have to admit that I was a little disappointed to find that the power transistors used are MOSFETs, since I'm intrigued by these IGBTs that are available nowadays and was hoping to get a chance to play with some, but I'm sure their time will come.)
Andy Kay
Thu Jul 19 2018, 04:56PM
@Fumeaux:
I'm very enthusiastic about this little circuit! I've ordered all the parts and I'm looking forward to trying it out. Thank you so much.
Fumeaux
Sat Jul 21 2018, 02:49PM
Andy Kay wrote ...

@Fumeaux:
I'm very enthusiastic about this little circuit! I've ordered all the parts and I'm looking forward to trying it out. Thank you so much.

No problem, but there 2 more things I want to tell you. First, the capacitor on pin6 & 7 sets a certain frequency range. You can read more about this in the datasheets of the cd4046. Second, I wrote some extra information for you. I recommend to build the green and red sectors on different breadboards inorder to upgrade the TC in the future.

PS: As it is only halfwave rectified you dont have to worry about overcurrent, but if you use fullwave in the future you will need to build an interrupt curcuit.
And the last thing: Make sure to have a big enough heatsink for the mosfets.

And the really last thing: think ahead and protect your mosfets (zener diodes, flyback diodes,.. like here http://rpsx.eu/upload/U3RBsZAI.png) or buy plenty before you play around/ or get a variac
1532184595 61890 FT182344 Cd4046pll
Andy Kay
Sat Jul 21 2018, 03:48PM
Fumeaux wrote ...

No problem, but there 2 more things I want to tell you. First, the capacitor on pin6 & 7 sets a certain frequency range. You can read more about this in the datasheets of the cd4046. Second, I wrote some extra information for you. I recommend to build the green and red sectors on different breadboards inorder to upgrade the TC in the future.

PS: As it is only halfwave rectified you dont have to worry about overcurrent, but if you use fullwave in the future you will need to build an interrupt curcuit.
And the last thing: Make sure to have a big enough heatsink for the mosfets.

And the really last thing: think ahead and protect your mosfets (zener diodes, flyback diodes,.. like here http://rpsx.eu/upload/U3RBsZAI.png) or buy plenty before you play around/ or get a variac
Thanks for the extra guidance. I already have experience of gate sensitivity from playing around with Marx generator drivers, so I have plenty of 15V TVSs and Zeners. And I already have a 50A full wave rectifier that I considered using, so it would be good to know more about this "interrupter circuit" that you mention.
Fumeaux
Sat Jul 21 2018, 05:44PM
Think of it like pwm. The frequency of the pwm is an audible frequency and with the width you controll the power.
An interrupter sends a pwm to the ucc-chips and turns them on&off (pin3).

For the diagram, there is a lot of them on google. But generally, there are simple ne555 timer ones or musical interrupters.
Andy Kay
Sat Jul 21 2018, 11:53PM
Ah... okay, so you seem to be saying that replacing the rectifier diode with a bridge rectifier will mean that some method of current limiting is required, and the interrupter circuit fulfils that role, right?
Fumeaux
Sun Jul 22 2018, 07:58AM
Andy Kay wrote ...

Ah... okay, so you seem to be saying that replacing the rectifier diode with a bridge rectifier will mean that some method of current limiting is required, and the interrupter circuit fulfils that role, right?

Yes kinda. But you limit the power in the mosfets. The biggest reason is: you can maximise the arclength (voltage in) without burning up the mosfets. And lets be real. A musically interrupted TC is awesome.

Without interrupting it is called CW-mode
looks like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lyhIyLlTug
this is demanding on the mosfets

And here are some interrupters from kaizer:
ne555: http://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk/wp-content/ gallery/2009_07_22_-_Kaizer_SSTC_III/ KaizerSSTCIIIdriver.gif
musical: http://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk/wp-content/ gallery/2016_09_03_-_music_modulator/ musicmodulator.gif
both in configuration: http://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk/wp-content/ gallery/2009_03_15_-_kaizer_SSTC_II/ KaizerSSTCIIdriver.gif
Andy Kay
Sun Jul 22 2018, 05:52PM
Yes, I can see how the 555 is used here as a kind of PWM "volume control". The musical coils I will leave for now. I'm assuming that the four secondary coils in the last .gif file are for driving a full bridge MOSFET configuration... I like that idea. For now I'll work with the simplest of the configurations you gave me, and I'll let you know how I get on (though it may take a while). Thanks for all your encouragement and advice Fumeaux.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: