Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Does anyone have a Weiss lathe?

Move Thread LAN_403
jpsmith123
Fri Jun 08 2018, 06:03PM Print
jpsmith123 Registered Member #1321 Joined: Sat Feb 16 2008, 03:22AM
I'm thinking about getting the WBL250F 10" x 30" lathe. I'm wondering, does anyone have one of these, and if so, how do you like it?

Link2
hen918
Sat Jun 09 2018, 11:27AM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
I have the smaller brother (the 180 from Warco) and I recommend the series. There have been a few problems:
the stub-shafts which also act as bearings which hold the gears for the powered travel have an incredibly thin section and a hole bored down the middle for oil which makes them really easy to break: do not over-tighten!
The drive belts can be degraded by oil and grease and one snapped on me.

If you can find one I would buy an older second-hand lathe (from back when they were made to perfection:), in the UK they are usually pretty cheap unless they are in pristine condition. If you can't though, your choice seems a good one, but it might be worth looking at different distributors variations on the same lathe (there are two or three in the UK and Warco was the cheapest with the best features).
jpsmith123
Mon Jun 11 2018, 02:32AM
Thanks for the reply.

I'm wondering, have you ever checked the alignment of your lathe; i.e., how well the spindle is aligned with the ways?

The reason I ask is because when I got my first lathe (MicroMark 7 x 14), the alignment was not very good as I received it. I was getting a taper (on the radius) of about 0.0005" per inch or something like that. In order to reduce the taper I had to practically disassemble the lathe and place shims in certain places. By trial and error I was able to reduce the taper down to about 0.00015" per inch or something like that. I hope if I get the Weiss lathe I won't have that kind of problem again.
the_anomaly
Mon Jun 11 2018, 11:50AM
the_anomaly Registered Member #19 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 03:19PM
I have a similar Grizzly lathe which has required plenty of work and I regret buying it. For serious work, you are better off buying a used lathe from a known brand like Colchester. These cheap smaller lathes are a waste of time.
jpsmith123
Tue Jun 12 2018, 04:33AM
IIRC Grizzly = Sieg; and my MicroMark lathe was also made by Sieg.

Having the alignment problems I did, I decided that I'd never buy anything else made by Sieg.

I may be wrong, but I presently believe that Weiss and Precision Matthews lathes are better than Sieg lathes.

the_anomaly wrote ...

I have a similar Grizzly lathe which has required plenty of work and I regret buying it. For serious work, you are better off buying a used lathe from a known brand like Colchester. These cheap smaller lathes are a waste of time.
the_anomaly
Tue Jun 12 2018, 09:37PM
the_anomaly Registered Member #19 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 03:19PM
It may have better spindle bearings, may have a better finish on the ways and cross/compound slides, but some of the castings look exactly the same as my G0602 and that IMO is the issue. All the major components are cast from a really soft material. Its not steel. If it were, the machine would perform better for cutting carbon steels and such.

If you plan to cut aluminium, brass, plastic, it will do great. For steel it will really struggle. It is hard to build rigidity into a small lathe such that the tool does not buckle when cutting even when you take a small cut.

If you do go for it I am interested to know how you like it. Old timers tell me a 14 x 40 is really the machine you want even for home use. I've run some larger lathes and they cut steel like butter; I will definitely be upgrading in the future.

jpsmith123
Mon Jun 18 2018, 01:21AM
This is the first time I've heard about such issues when turning steel. I haven't done much work with steel myself, but I did find a few youtube videos where steel is being cut with Chinese lathes. Here's one with a Grizzly G0602, but I don't know what kind of steel he's got there.

Link2

I think I am going to get the Weiss WBL250F, but probably not until next month. If so I'll report here about it.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: