Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

26 or 18 awg for 315*1650mm secondary (and Balancing MMC and Primary on chosen Secondary in DR)

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Intra
Tue Jun 05 2018, 04:45PM Print
Intra Registered Member #2694 Joined: Mon Feb 22 2010, 11:52PM
Hi guys.

I'm getting ready to winding a 315*1650mm secondary for CM600HA-24H bridge and 1600*400mm toroid.

Which wire will be best for this?

I have a 26awg wire 10lb, but I found that reactance at resonance is about 108kOhm with 3874 turns of wire.

Is 26awg good for this or 18awg will be better?

With 1600 turns of 18awg reactance at resonance is about 44kOhm.

Is reactance at resonance important?
What difference does it make on coil between 26awg and 18awg?

On Mads Barnkob's page ( Link2 ) I found that something about 50kOhm should be good and even 60kOhm already isn't good.

Also, I got a confusing results with ScanTesla on that. With 26awg ScanTesla shows significant lower peak&rms currents on same bps, with same streamer length comparing with 18awg.
Also shows almost the same coil power and voltages on both circuits.

Is frequency 47-50kHz is suitable for CM600HA-24H of 19kHz will be better?

Many thanks on any advice.
1528217146 2694 FT0 26awg

1528217146 2694 FT0 18awg
Mads Barnkob
Wed Jun 06 2018, 06:14AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
A 108 kOhm coil would require much longer on-times for the same spark length output compared to a 44 kOhm coil. It is not the primary to secondary turn ratio that is important for building up potential in a DRSSTC.

Regarding the CM600 Fres(max), you are lucky that I used a CM600 in my example: Link2 it will do fine at 50 kHz and I would at all cost avoid having a multiply kW coil working in the audible range as 19 kHz would be on the edge of.
Intra
Wed Jun 06 2018, 10:46AM
Mads Barnkob wrote ...

A 108 kOhm coil would require much longer on-times for the same spark length output compared to a 44 kOhm coil. It is not the primary to secondary turn ratio that is important for building up potential in a DRSSTC.

Why on-time length is important?

How exactly potential in DRSSTC builds up with primary to secondary turn ratio?

Many thanks for advice.
Mads Barnkob
Thu Jun 07 2018, 07:40AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Its a matter of average power transfer. A low impedance coil can absorb higher peak energies, while the high impedance can not, so that will have to be driven at lower primary peak current, but for longer time, in order to achieve the same spark length.

Resonant voltage rise is more dominant than transformer ratio.
teravolt
Thu Jun 07 2018, 06:52PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
26 awg will give you a lower frequency witch will be easier on your IGBT and more inductance for more voltage. if you use 18 you can use a bigger top toride to reduce f res enough. With 18 and a bigger toride your ground strikes will be more crashing however your power demands may be larger. what does your tesla calculator say about f resonance
Intra
Thu Jun 07 2018, 09:44PM
teravolt wrote ...

With 18 and a bigger toride your ground strikes will be more crashing
what means "crashing" here? Is that an adding a capacity from the ground to secondary when ground strikes and droping fres? if so then that will happens even with EMI filter terminal?

teravolt wrote ...

what does your tesla calculator say about f resonance
did not quite understand the question. 19khz with 26awg, 47khz with 18awg.
Intra
Fri Jun 08 2018, 12:54AM
Mads Barnkob wrote ...

Its a matter of average power transfer. A low impedance coil can absorb higher peak energies, while the high impedance can not, so that will have to be driven at lower primary peak current, but for longer time, in order to achieve the same spark length.

I understand low impedance coil can absorb higher peak current. I posted a scantesla screenshots with almost exact voltage and besides extra 100kkV for the almost same streamer length has the secondary with 26awg. (okay, it's 19kHz. close to hearing range, my bad. the matter I want to understand is beyound the scope of hearing range and so.)

Next.. Okay, high impedance coil can't absorb HIGHER peak energies, but the reason I'm here, I'm not sure the coil need it.

If I see it correctly, if we have a low impedance coil, then coil can get up high power with a short time. If so, then, question is, why the short time needed? When if for shorting heat loss, then okay.

But if it is the only reason then why on-time length is important and does it important at all or not?

Can I increase on-time until RMS current reaches Imax (continious) of igbt datasheet or there is an additional restrictions?

May I have what I see on ScanTesla screenshot - ~750kkV Vsec with ~127Arms and ~847Apeak on 26AWG with 440bps instead of ~650kkV Vsec with ~190Arms and ~2127Apeak on 18AWG with 440bps, even with 170uS on 26AWG instead of 63uSec on 18AWG?

Because if I can this acheive according ScanTesla screenshot, then why Q-factor is important? Up to what point it is essential?

ScanTesla here is just say me: Hey, put a pulse width on top, high impedance will not allow the current to grow.

So, as my question is here, then, I'm not sure this is work and I still can't understand, what is better, 315*1650mm with 26AWG or 315*1650mm with 18AWG?
(let the 19kHz secondary give a chance to exist just in theory. If that direction turns up as a better, then I just recalculate it for 25-30kHz for avoid being close up to hearing range.)

I will remind, 26AWG is 13kW line for 259 inch streamer and 18AWG is just 11.5kW line for 259 inch streamer. Difference is only 1.5kW in favor of 18AWG, but it isn't important for my setup so let's tries to neglect this 1.5kW losses just for me.

Mads Barnkob wrote ...

so that will have to be driven at lower primary peak current, but for longer time, in order to achieve the same spark length.
That is aslo on my screenshots. 170uS for a 26AWG and 63uS for 18AWG for almost the same streamer length of 259.15 inch average.

Mads Barnkob wrote ...

If so then 750kkV Vsec with 26AWG turns out better than 650kkV Vsec with 18AWG for 440bps 259inch streamer. Is I understand you right?

Many thanks on advice.
Uspring
Fri Jun 08 2018, 02:48PM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
I believe that trying to achieve a fast power rampup might not be the preferable way to achieve big sparks in a DRSSTC. Sparks live on power, so it is desirable to input as much energy as the bridge allows to the primary tank. As a consequence it is better to have the arc loading limit the primary current to an acceptable level instead of an OCD stopping the burst. After an OCD cutoff much of the energy in the primary is returned to the bus caps via the IGBTs diodes, while it is better to have that energy in the secondary and the arc. Also an OCD event will stop further energy input to the primary.

Arc loading shouldn't limit the primary current too much, since that means lower power input, so there is an optimal matching between the bridge and the coil. The effect of the arc on the primary current depends on tuning, coupling, secondary Q (Q being mostly determined by the arc load, wire resistance contributes much less) and the primary tank parameters. There is an optimal secondary Q for strongest arc loading effects, which is around Q=1/k. Since the arc load varies much depending on size and frequency the value of the best secondary impedance is uncertain, but values of around 50kOhms seem to work best. You do want strong arc loading effects, since this implies an efficient power transfer from primary to secondary.

The max current in the primary due to arc loading is dependent on the choice of the primary tank impedance. Typical primary Q due to loading maybe around 5 or 10, so you have to choose the primary L and C accordingly to match the bridge capabilities.
Intra
Fri Jun 08 2018, 08:24PM
Uspring wrote ...

I believe that trying to achieve a fast power rampup might not be the preferable way to achieve big sparks in a DRSSTC. Sparks live on power, so it is desirable to input as much energy as the bridge allows to the primary tank. As a consequence it is better to have the arc loading limit the primary current to an acceptable level instead of an OCD stopping the burst. After an OCD cutoff much of the energy in the primary is returned to the bus caps via the IGBTs diodes, while it is better to have that energy in the secondary and the arc. Also an OCD event will stop further energy input to the primary.

Arc loading shouldn't limit the primary current too much, since that means lower power input, so there is an optimal matching between the bridge and the coil. The effect of the arc on the primary current depends on tuning, coupling, secondary Q (Q being mostly determined by the arc load, wire resistance contributes much less) and the primary tank parameters. There is an optimal secondary Q for strongest arc loading effects, which is around Q=1/k. Since the arc load varies much depending on size and frequency the value of the best secondary impedance is uncertain, but values of around 50kOhms seem to work best. You do want strong arc loading effects, since this implies an efficient power transfer from primary to secondary.

The max current in the primary due to arc loading is dependent on the choice of the primary tank impedance. Typical primary Q due to loading maybe around 5 or 10, so you have to choose the primary L and C accordingly to match the bridge capabilities.

Thank you for your answer. I found it very helpful.
Some things I still do not understand.
JavaTC show secondary Q in hundreds. 100, 200, 300. If I divide 1 by k I got units. 6, 5, etc. Do you mean "k" is coupling?

Many thanks on advice.
Uspring
Sat Jun 09 2018, 08:38AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
JavaTC's secondary Q is calculated from the wire resistance plus skin effect. It does not take into account arc loading. That will reduce Q much more than the wire resistance alone once the arc has broken out.
Yes, k is the coupling.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: