ramses (16)
Arcstarter (31)
Zak (15)

Next birthdays
05/11 ramses (16)
05/11 Arcstarter (31)
05/11 Zak (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Two Cockcroft Walton Gens powered by a Neon Sign Transformer

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Robert Francis
Wed May 02 2018, 04:55PM Print
Robert Francis Registered Member #2355 Joined: Thu Sept 10 2009, 09:12PM
Hi guys,

I have a question. I originally was going to power a single cockcroft walton generator with a flyback transformer. But the flyback does not have a HV negative or ground terminal on it.

As a result I decided to scrap the power supply > buck booster > flyback - and swap in a neon sign transformer. But I have read that neon sign transformers use a positive and negative voltage on their HV output. Easier to insulate than making the positive doubled and negative ground.

So I decided I would have 2 cockcroft walton gens, the positive NST feeds a positive cw and the negative would feed a negative CW.

My question is do I follow a standard CW for the negative one or do I reverse the diodes? I know if I was dealing with a positive voltage and needed a negative one I would reverse the diodes but with the NST negative it is already negative and doesn't need to be flipped. So do I not need to reverse the diodes?

Thank you,
Bob
hen918
Wed May 02 2018, 05:17PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
You could not reverse the diodes and have a fullwave CW generator like this: Link2 The input voltage to this one would be the voltage across one half of the centre-tapped secondary, but the advantage to this one is reduced ripple voltage, allowing you to draw a higher current.

or you could make two separate CW multipliers, one with reversed diodes, using the centre point of the transformer as the common connection. Your output would be double that of the previous case, but only half wave rectified.
a third option would be to only use the centre-tap as common, connecting a normal CW generator to the + and - terminals, this would be similar to the second option, but would require diodes rated to at least 4 times the peak voltage from centre-tap to positive rail, whilst the other two only require diodes rated at 2x.
Robert Francis
Tue May 08 2018, 07:46PM
I bought a couple solid state NSTs off of ebay. There is a paper that came with them saying they will not work with Tesla coils. A little research on Google said it was due to the gfci circuit in the NST.

Is it possible they will work with a cockcroft walton generator that leads into a Marx gen?
Robert Francis
Sat May 12 2018, 05:48PM
I have another question, the NST I have puts out +7500V and -7500V. In an ordinary CW gen if the CW was one stage would the output be +21kV or +42kV?

I am wondering if the output voltage is based off the +7500V or if it is based off of the difference between the positive and negative leads off the NST, therefore 15kV.

Here is a CW calculator if that helps:
Link2
hen918
Sat May 12 2018, 06:07PM
See my post above. That depends on how you wire it.
Robert Francis
Wed May 16 2018, 07:35PM
I apologize, but I am hoping you could clarify some things for me.

How do I access the center point of the NST. Do I have to open the NST case and run a wire to the outside of the NST case? I ask cause as far as I can tell on my NST there are only 2 high voltage connection points, +7500 and -7500. I don't see any other way of accessing the center point in the middle of the high voltage transformer.

There is a case ground of course but I don't think you are referring to that as that is for household electrical ground along with voltage in and neutral.
hen918
Wed May 16 2018, 09:15PM
The case of the NST will be ground / 0 V assuming it's an old, electrical type.
Robert Francis
Thu May 17 2018, 01:26PM
So its safe to connect the CW gen to the ground on the case?
Robert Francis
Mon May 21 2018, 03:53PM
Is it safe to connect the CW gen to the ground on the NST case? I need to know.
hen918
Mon May 21 2018, 04:42PM
It will be safe to do so, but it might have a built in RCD / GFI which will trip if current flows though ground. Hopefully you don't have one of those. If you do your only options are either remove/disable it (I don't think that will be easy) or make a multiplier like the third option.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: