All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Inductive heater

Move Thread LAN_403
tarakan2
Mon Apr 30 2018, 04:21AM Print
tarakan2 Registered Member #3859 Joined: Sun May 01 2011, 03:47PM
Hello. I bought a ZVS flyback driver - like circuit on aliexpress in order to build an induction heater.
The circuit looks something like this.
LARGE

I conducted an experiment where I dropped a ball bearing into a test tube with water and waited for the water to heat.
Then I replaced this ball bearing with a softer steel machine screw.
I tried to calculate how much power actually went into heating the water from ambient temperature to 100C, but failed to do so.

This system took almost thirty minutes to boil the water. I tried different coil shapes.
60 grams * 80 degrees change * 4.18 = 20064 Joules = 5.57 watt*hours
Thus only 12 watts were involved in heating of the water. Out of how many? Where are the losses?

What would be the ideal coil parameters?
Do I need more capacitance, connected in parallel to the inductance coil?
as shown here:
L300

What would it take for me to get the most induction heat out of this device and to minimize the losses produced by high current flow?

Thank you.

IMGP0116 - everything i tried
IMGP0117 - better coil
IMGP0118 - not very good coil
IMGP0119 - bad coil

Patrick
Mon Apr 30 2018, 05:24AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Watt frequency is it operating at ? And what awg wire are you using? Keep leads short too.
tarakan2
Tue May 01 2018, 02:00AM
tarakan2 Registered Member #3859 Joined: Sun May 01 2011, 03:47PM
Patrick wrote ...

Watt frequency is it operating at ? And what awg wire are you using? Keep leads short too.
Which out of three coils should I try to measure frequency with first?
Patrick
Tue May 01 2018, 04:49AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
start with the one you labled as better. you may have skin effect resistance decreasing your transfer of power.
teravolt
Thu May 03 2018, 04:34PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
your caps should have the lowest ESR you can find and may be a problem. your tank circuit does resonate with the oscillator you have provided. maybe you need more power to it. maby adding more caps will decrease ESR enough. have you tried to see with an oscilloscope?
IamSmooth
Thu May 17 2018, 01:36AM
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
It is hard to tell dimensions, but in addition to everything else your coil diameter may be too wide that you are not getting good coupling with the work piece.
flyrod
Wed Jun 13 2018, 07:11PM
flyrod Registered Member #61905 Joined: Sun Nov 12 2017, 03:27AM
tarakan2 wrote ...
What would be the ideal coil parameters?

It depends on the circuit you bought, on the load, and on your power supply. Can you provide more details? What circuit board are you using? Does it use a center tapped work coil? What are the capacitor values? What are the capabilities of the power supply that you're using? Is your power supply adjustable? What are you trying to heat? If you just want to heat little pieces of steel, a coil that's pretty close in size to the load would work better than one that's much bigger.

edit: I see the board in your first picture, and looking at the components it seems like you need a center tapped work coil and you have ~0.6uF of capacitance. Based on what see in your other pictures, I would suggest trying a 4+4 turn work coil that's close in size to the object. Use heavy gage wire, or you can twist multiple strands of a lighter wire together in parallel (aka litz wire). Also the coil needs to be close to the capacitors. It looks like the wires connecting your coils to the board are pretty small gage and extra long. There is a high current resonating between the coil and the capacitors, so the coil would work better if made with heavy gage wire and connected straight to the circuit board. If you look at one of your other pictures you can see their work coil is very few turns of copper tubing that connects straight to the capacitors a short distance away. Let us know how it goes...

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: