All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Molding glass

Move Thread LAN_403
AndreiRS
Sun Apr 15 2018, 03:16AM Print
AndreiRS Registered Member #62109 Joined: Sun Jan 28 2018, 10:00PM
I was trying to find around google if it is possible to melt the tip of a bottle to make it thinner with only a propane torch. But I just can't find anyone doing something like this. I just don't want to break the glass bottle trying because it is a nice bottle.
Flachzange
Sun Apr 15 2018, 11:16AM
Flachzange Registered Member #61569 Joined: Sat Apr 15 2017, 05:12PM
A propane torch is hot enough to melt glass in order to manipulate it. However it takes quite long.
The only problem will be, that either by heating he tip or by cooling it down when it is finished the glass will break. You need an oven to cool it down very slowly and it would even better to heat it up uniformly in an oven.
the_anomaly
Sun Apr 15 2018, 01:16PM
the_anomaly Registered Member #19 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 03:19PM
If the glass is borosilicate a propane torch is fine. In my experience, most bottles and glassware not intended for cooking are soda lime which need to be heated evenly; like Flachzange said with an oven. They also need to be cooled evenly and slowly. Borosilicate and fused quartz both tolerate large temperature differentials and do not (under most circumstances) shatter with uneven heating as soda lime will do.
AndreiRS
Sun Apr 15 2018, 10:53PM
Hmmmm that is a problem, I don't have any ovens here. But I got the idea, I could "pre heat" it to the max temperature I can, then use the torch. Maybe it works, I will try with another bottle. Thanks guys.
2Spoons
Mon Apr 16 2018, 09:59PM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
If you heat the bottle as much as possible with your torch, then when you've finished forming the glass you can put the whole thing in a box of dry vermicullite. That will allow it to cool very slowly, and is a reasonable alternative to using an annealing oven.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Thu Apr 19 2018, 02:04AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
No. I use vermiculite and my glassblowing still explodes... course I suck at glassblowing, so there is that factor.

If it is a nice bottle and you have never dealt with glass before, it will crack. You have to know what you're doing with glass to work with it successfully, it is an art and a science. Having the right tools only improves the probability of success, it doesn't guarantee it.
Patrick
Fri Apr 20 2018, 05:41AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
MAPP gas would be hotter than propane, not sure if that helps. And maybe easier to control the locations of heat if you move it around. never done glass work though. When i did brazing of metals the difference between propane and MAPP pro was amazing.
AndreiRS
Sat Apr 21 2018, 05:46PM
Hmmm. I have never worked with glass also. It is a nice bottle, but I can find others on future. People just drink these whisky and let them in front of their homes for the "recycle truck". I think I will try something and then keep the torch a bit far or a heat blower on maximum, so I can cool it in a controlled way. Thanks.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: