Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Another "school" coilgun

Move Thread LAN_403
_Eugen_
Thu Apr 12 2018, 08:42AM Print
_Eugen_ Registered Member #57984 Joined: Thu Nov 19 2015, 09:44AM
This simple coilgun was made for my little 3-form son who had something like contest on physics at his school. The development didn't take a lot of time because all basic units had been tested before.
One-stage scheme commutated with MOSFET was used accomplished with LM78S040-based converter boosting up to 63V (which preserves safety enough to be handled by children). Principle scheme of EM-5 is given on fig. below.
Schoolgun

The controllable switch eliminates the need for converter-strobing circuits (which stop the booster during a shot) and power diode (which is conventionally mounted on caps). Only one indicative element is incorporated (D1 LED signalling that caps are ready for shooting). Any accu is suitable in range of 5...16 V and nominal discharge current 1-2 A (I used 7.4 V Li-Po, connected through backlighted toggle switch). RESET input of 555 timer is connected to simple R7-C7 circuit with the resistor parallelled by internal diode of U2 IC - this allows instant grounding of the timer's output at power switch-off, and delayed permission at switch-on - this prohibits unintended shots. The capacitor are six 2200 mkFx 63 V, connected in parallel.
All the components are assembled on two-side printed board of 50x70 mm.
The only regulation of the scheme is attenuation of the accelerating pulse duration by R6 potentiometer. The optimal duration depends on the length of projectile ( I used 5 mm nails sawn and grinded).
Accelerating coil has outside diameter 15 mm, inside one 7 mm and 14 mm in length, it is wound by 0.6 mm caliber copper wire. Its geometry and timing is calculated with a help of FEMM - this procedure is described here.
Total turns count is 112, resistance - 240 mOhms.
Current and voltage forms at shot are shown on a graph below. Maximum current value doesn't exceed 180 A which is allowable for IRLB4030 MOSFET.
VCF
_Eugen_
Thu Apr 12 2018, 08:49AM
Laser-cut plywood and plexiglass panels were used for the case. They were painted black before accembly, and the handle was additionaly covered with black "liquid resin".
251369489 595655590 74126547
962594144 509165666 185983896

The case assembly process is shown below. Only one strength element (steel profile) is used to connect upper and lower panels. As a result, total mass of the coilgun makes 620 grams, 420 of them is the case.
363516280 203737615 236707944
329424180 505088122 638182471
_Eugen_
Thu Apr 12 2018, 08:56AM
The projectiles as I said are pieces of 5 mm nails, their length is about 14 mm and mas approx. 2,2 grams.
They are accelerated to about 18 m/s which is safe for kids playing, but fast enough (you couldn't throw that bullets so fastly by hand ). Efficiency makes about 2,7 %, and about half of energy stored in capacitors is wasted per shot. Recharging takes about 5 sec.

As a result, we have nice small coilgun. My son was fully satisfied. I amuse myself by shooting EM-5 sometimes, too :)

More detailed description with more photos and videos is here.
Sulaiman
Fri Apr 13 2018, 01:12PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
A very nice project, I'm sure your son is happy.

========================================= =======
None of my business, just a suggestion for similar projects by parents/guardians in future;

It looks like a gun and it fires projectiles - in many countries this could cause trouble

Do you really trust children to behave sensibly ?

----------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------
For less risk, may I suggest making an electromagnetic accelerator more as a tabletop device than hand held,
trying for heavier slower projectiles.
For fun it could look like a cannon or some other artillery.
Adding a tape measure, and protractor or similar, may encourage experimentation.

A table top cannon is definitely not as much fun as a gun,
but as none of the other kids will have an electromagnetic cannon, it will still be 'cool' shades

A few pairs of cheap safety glasses would be a good idea,
. we only get one pair of eyes per lifetime
. encourage safety
. putting on safety equipment makes thinking ahead more likely.
_Eugen_
Fri Apr 13 2018, 08:38PM
Sulaiman, thanks.
My experience shows that the most dangerous thing in coilgunning is not an accelerated projectile, but HV in caps.
As for this project, I used only 63 V just for the safety reasons. 18 m/s in the projectile are quite harmless, too.
Nevertheless, I completely agree with your warning.
AndreiRS
Fri Apr 13 2018, 11:49PM
AndreiRS Registered Member #62109 Joined: Sun Jan 28 2018, 10:00PM
Good to see that school is still not paranoid about guns. I like how it looks with plexyglass. Nice project.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: