ramses (16)
Arcstarter (31)
Zak (15)

Next birthdays
05/12 Colin 99 (53)
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Resistor Choices for Marx Gen

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Robert Francis
Wed Mar 28 2018, 04:49PM Print
Robert Francis Registered Member #2355 Joined: Thu Sept 10 2009, 09:12PM
Hi, I am building a Marx generator, about 760kV, (+380kV, -380kV) but I am having some design issues.

I built the marx gen with inductors instead of resistors for decreased charging times.

But what do I do about the partially charged capacitors in the marx gen when I turn the device off?

I heard that I should put some resistors across the positive and gnd and negative and gnd.

Basically I want to fire up the Marx gen and not get electrocuted when I pack it up and put it away.

Any advice?

Oh, I also used a Cockcroft Walton generator, 1 stage, to increase the initial voltage coming out of the flyback transformers before going into the Marx gen.

Could/should I put my resistors across the CW or Marx or both?

Sulaiman
Wed Mar 28 2018, 06:37PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
For high voltage circuits, quickly draining away charge when power is off, for safety,
is always in conflict with power consumption.

One method is to have one or more relay contact sets held open when power is applied,
when power is removed the contacts close and can be used to discharge capacitors via resistors etc.
johnf
Thu Mar 29 2018, 08:06AM
johnf Registered Member #230 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 08:01PM
clever people use a shorting bar
big solid bit of copper to short out each stage
the use of resistors is frowned upon by experts as an open cicuit resistor looks the same as a good one

stay safe
AndreiRS
Thu Mar 29 2018, 04:44PM
AndreiRS Registered Member #62109 Joined: Sun Jan 28 2018, 10:00PM
You could use aluminum to short circuit. It would not be so agressive for the capacitors as it is less conductive than copper... Maybe it is a bad ideia, but sounds good to me. It will need to be cleaned sometimes, because it may form an oxide layer due to oxidation.
Robert Francis
Thu Mar 29 2018, 05:11PM
I'm going to use epoxy to pot the entire marx gen. Should I still worry about the caps in the marx gen discharging?

Obviously I can't use a shorting bar cause the caps will be buried in epoxy, 600volts/mil
Flachzange
Thu Mar 29 2018, 05:41PM
Flachzange Registered Member #61569 Joined: Sat Apr 15 2017, 05:12PM
Professional made impulse generators are made with at least 3 ways to discharge it.
The first is a discharge resistor that gets connected with switch when the power is turned off.
It discharges the generator within several seconds completely.
The second one is either a string or band that gets pulled through the generator that shorts all the capacitors hard without any resistors. This band or string is seperated in an insulating part and a metal part. So when the generator is operating the insulator is pulled through the generator. When it gets discharged the metal part is pulled through the generator.
And the third safety feature is always a grounding stick.

So for the diy generator i would at least use a discharge resistor that gets connected somehow.
teravolt
Thu Mar 29 2018, 08:08PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
I prefer my marxes open for servicing. Shorting each and every cap is necessary in the event a inductor or resistor opens. Also charge can take more time to drain away where large with charge resistances or be pushed to other parts of the marx during shorting. HV requires respect, and wisdom is learned from being shocked
Robert Francis
Fri Mar 30 2018, 05:19PM
I was thinking, at the first stage of my marx the voltage is as high as 42kV. I could use a diy knife switch (those for purchase are too small to use with high voltages) and wear lineman gloves when manually switching the marx gen off.

With a SPDT knife switch I could put a bunch of resistors on one path and a direct wire for the other.

What resistors would you guys recommend?
teravolt
Mon Apr 02 2018, 04:31PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
how many uf in each cap? you probably don't want to be near it. if it is big a gas switch would be fine. if it is a small diy then let it self break by making the gap at the bottom smaller. do you have any pictures?
Robert Francis
Mon Apr 02 2018, 10:46PM
The caps are rated to 2200uF

The first stage in the marx gen is a homemade trigatron. I have one piece of g10 tube, electrodes on each end and one in the middle that will be used to trigger the first stage.

Link2
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: