Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Dual Van de Graaff Generator

Move Thread LAN_403
Nickel
Thu Dec 13 2018, 09:17PM
Nickel Registered Member #4367 Joined: Thu Jan 26 2012, 07:54PM
I built myself a Leyden jar over the last 2 days. It's a spaghetti container from Asda's for £3.75 or so. 3M Ali tape from Lidl £2 a roll. Orfcut of welder cable, bit of 20mm electrical conduit, bit of 15mm copper pipe, all out of the scrap box, and 32mm cabinet knob from Screwfix £3.79 for two in a bag. Several yards of duct-tape over the outside to protect the foil.
I bought two spag-jars, intending to make a pair. They are polystyrene, so I don't know how well they'll work. if it doesn't, then the other one will get used for spaghetti.
Why the thick cable says you?
To get thicker fatter sparks, you need bigger currents. This cable keeps the ESR down, so currents of many tens of amps are possible, even if only for a fraction of a microsecond. The individual strands are distributed over the outer surface of the thing to suck as much current as possible.
Dimensions: 11" x 3,3/4". Both foils stop 5" from the top, so flash-over distance = 10"
Testing is the usual affair, balance everything on wobbly bits of wood and rolls of tape, experiment with distances and gaps etc.
Testing today is using the negative unit because it was nearest.
At some stage I'll put a video on the tube.
It is loud, and probably V - dangerous. (keeps one hand in pocket all the time when powered up due to dodgy ticker)

Curious effect happens when discharging the top sphere using the earth-wand/globe, I took a screen-shot from a slowed-down video; it shows streamers going up the inside and outside of the container.
Any suggestions to cause/reason?
Nickel
Thu Dec 13 2018, 09:19PM
Some pics:
Nickel
Thu Dec 13 2018, 09:22PM
Doesn't seem to like the pics. They are all well under 2M, any suggestions?
Lets see if the youtube link works!

Link2
Nickel
Tue Jan 15 2019, 04:57PM
Now I have built 2 Leyden jars, Ive had a chance to play with the VDGs as a pair. With the increased capacity available at each top electrode I have now nearly achieved my original objective. The sparks are now nearer to 1 MV than they were before. Measure spark-gap is 300 mm, which I reckon is as good as a mega-volt! Once I have done the savarin/bundt-tin mod I'll be there. Have a look at my latest post, see what you think:
Link2
jpsmith123
Wed Jan 16 2019, 03:21AM
jpsmith123 Registered Member #1321 Joined: Sat Feb 16 2008, 03:22AM
I'm wondering, what did you use for the domes? Are they stainless steel "gazing balls"?
Nickel
Mon Feb 04 2019, 09:36AM
Yep, "gazing globes". They were on sale in Sainsbury's a few years ago for £25 each. As soon as I saw them, they were identified as Top electrodes/air capacitors.
The sensible public refused to pay for such a silly affectation, so they dropped the price to a tenner each, and I grabbed two 12" plus one 10", for the 'bargin' price if £20 to you sir, discount for quantity.
Most of the bits have been lurking in my "future projects drawer" until ready for construction.
The Leiden jars are beginning to leak and track now; Polystyrene struggles to withstand 450kV across 2mm. I'll give them a wipe-down with IPA and see.
Next project is a 1 nF condenser to hang between the globes. 8" PVC sewer-pipe is my first choice for the experiment; with 6mm wall thickness it should withstand over 1 MV for a long enough to make some big fat sparks.
Just got to contact someone on a big building/construction site and wave a tenner! wink

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: