All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
05/02 Alfredo Texacca (60)
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Sale and Trade
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Passing on old components etc ?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Sulaiman
Thu Mar 01 2018, 04:18PM Print
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Although I will probably dabble in electronics until I die,
I have a significant quantity of electronic components, assemblies, T.C. stuff, radio stuff .... stuff,
my precious stuff that I've been keeping, I will probably never use.
So, it has to go.

Ideally to a rich kid that wants a diverse electronics kit,
or someone who would make use of it rather than hoard it like I have,
or an educational institution that wants a load of electronic junk,
worst case I'll sell it piece by piece via eBay
but I'd rather some keen young person(s) get it free.

Any ideas where/how I might 'dispose of' my stuff so that it is likely to be used ?
I'd rather not make up 100's parcels/letters.
Dr. Slack
Thu Mar 01 2018, 05:11PM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Sulaiman wrote ...

Any ideas where/how I might 'dispose of' my stuff so that it is likely to be used ?
I'd rather not make up 100's parcels/letters.

When you find out, let me know as well.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sat Mar 03 2018, 04:35PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Do the electronics 'round a bout' again, and whoever wants something can take it from the box.

That and donate some to local colleges.

I'm going through 20 years worth of hoard at work, and the good stuff is going to the design department (because we don't need it), and we are keeping minimal amounts of SMT stuff (because the chances are we will have to buy new for a project anyway), and a decent amount of through-hole (but I have to reduce that as well, like wasting-out 1/8W carbon comps, we'll never use them)

I can't take any of it home (thank god) because I work at a big place, and so the rest just goes off as hazardous waste, which is fine, I probably have 50 lbs of garbage to get rid of.

One day at a time. ^^
AndreiRS
Sat Mar 03 2018, 05:02PM
AndreiRS Registered Member #62109 Joined: Sun Jan 28 2018, 10:00PM
I sold a lot of stuff I don't use, basically today I have my computer, a Tesla coil which still doesn't work well and tools. I don't like having too much stuff that I may or not use, but probably not.
Inducktion
Sun Mar 11 2018, 04:31AM
Inducktion Registered Member #3637 Joined: Fri Jan 21 2011, 11:07PM
You could probably part it out in 'lots' of sorts to help cut down on the number of packages you'd send out.

I'd definitely be interested though, depending on what's available! I'm young and fresh and apt to do things with electronics.
klugesmith
Tue Mar 20 2018, 05:43AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Amateur radio swap meets / hamfests / flea markets bring many interested people together.
This month I paid $30 for a seller's space, for the first time in more than a year, and got rid of a ton of stuff for not much money.
Next month they're going to try a new venue, I think partly because the facility cost will be lower and customer parking will be free instead of $3.

Later, got the leftover stuff packed & organized the best it's been in many years.
Mostly saved not because I will want it some day, but because it's too cool to be e-wasted.
Psychologists are familiar with such extremes of "duty to inanimate things".

Also cleared out the "pressure and flow" shelf in garage. Anybody see something here they want?

1521524529 2099 FT181639 Dscn0161

1521524529 2099 FT181639 Dscn0156

1521524529 2099 FT181639 Dscn0155

1521524529 2099 FT181639 Dscn0158

1521524573 2099 FT181639 Dscn0163
Avalanche
Tue Mar 20 2018, 07:03PM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
I've got the same problem here, I've given some stuff away in the past but what I've realised is that if you want to get rid of the stuff responsibly (i.e. to a good home rather than the dustbin) then it doesn't happen fast - the clearout becomes an ongoing process and you have to stay on top of it and look for opportunities to get rid. I save an awful lot of stuff from work that is headed to the dustbin with the hope of re-distributing it to a useful cause (anyone need any 4700uF 40V electrolytics? I have hundreds).

Something I'm going to start doing is putting together 'mixed components' boxes and sticking them on eBay. I actually bought one of these type of boxes many years ago and it was a great start to the hobby. I probably would never have managed to get into experimental electronics if it wasn't for things like this, bags of resistors and random components. I wouldn't have known where to start at the time with finding my own components so it only seems right to keep the tradition going and help folks out in a similar way to how I've been helped out in the past.
Ash Small
Mon Apr 30 2018, 09:43PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Avalanche, I need 30 4700uF 40V electrolytics, I was pricing them up just now.

I just posted about an RC power supply smoothing circuit in my post about thermal and shot noise.

I'm also after 3000uF total of motor run caps, or similar, if anyone has spare motor run caps.

Avalanche
Tue May 01 2018, 08:08AM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
PM sent smile can't help with the motor run caps though I'm afraid, that's a lot of uF!
Hydron
Tue May 01 2018, 01:17PM
Hydron Registered Member #30656 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 02:40AM
If you have a look on ebay etc you can find some large film caps for DC link applications. One I found a while back is here:
Link2
https://www.it-tronics.de/en/Electronic-Components/Capacitors/Film-Capacitors/Radial.html?Page=1&Items=30&Filter={%22category%22:[32]}&sort=5&view=list (seller website)
(apparently the seller is a bit unhelpful though)

Also last year there were a bunch of german ebay sellers with boxes of 40uF/1100V film caps selling for about 1GBP/capacitor in boxes of 27 pieces

Kizmo managed to get about 6000uF worth of film caps I think (4x1500uF @ 700V?) but that was a lucky find, ones that big don't show up that often.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: