All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Electrical charges on plates

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Plasma
Sun Feb 25 2018, 05:22AM Print
Plasma Registered Member #61406 Joined: Thu Jan 05 2017, 11:31PM
Hi, I'm just wondering about some things. Say you have two plates one is +2Q the other is - 1Q,when you connect them what would the value be.
the second question if you have two plates both are +1Q and connect them what would the charge be.
Cheers
Dr. Slack
Sun Feb 25 2018, 07:15AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
You need to think carefully about exactly what Q is. I'm assuming that it's a measure of the quantity of charge, the number of coulombs with respect to the body being electrically neutral. Making some simple assumptions ...

If you connect two bodies that had initially +2Q and -1Q, the total new charge would +1Q.

If you connect two bodies that had initially +1Q and +1Q, the total new charge would be +2Q.

I'm struggling to think behind the question to figure out why you don't think the answer is obvious, otherwise you wouldn't have asked.

In the second case, one might be tempted to take the average rather than the sum, but then one would be thinking of voltage rather than charge. With two bodies, the capacitance has doubled, so the charge per voltage has doubled.

Notice I've stuck to the terminology 'bodies' rather than 'plates'. The latter implies some extra geometry which could confuse the situation, given the response of charges to electric fields. Your question is woefully short on detail, so only by going to 'bodies', with implied capacitance to infinity and not to each other, is it possible to make some assumptions and get to a simple answer. Sometimes, depending on geometry, it's possible to configure bodies such that the charge won't flow when they're connected, see how to charge an electrophorous Link2 for example. This uses electric fields to move the charge around at constant voltage. However, whether the charge moves or not, two connected bodies will have the same total charge as it's a simple book-keeping exercise to add up the total charge wherever residing on both.
Plasma
Sun Feb 25 2018, 01:33PM
Thanks I wasn't quite sure, I thought maybe question one could be +0.5Q as maybe the +1Q would get shared over two objects.
the second question I thought if you charge up a plates on a capacitor then remove one plate and replace it with another, you could have more charge by then connecting the two plates.
Thank you
johnf
Mon Feb 26 2018, 06:12AM
johnf Registered Member #230 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 08:01PM
Plasma
time to mess with your head
make a two plate capacitor with a sheet of teflon or mylar or whatever you have to put between the plates make it bigger so you can remove it without touching the metal plates

make a second set plates no teflon or mylar but spacing the same as the first.
Charge up the first set of plates carefully remove the plastic sheet and put it between the second set of plates.
now measure the voltage on the second set of plates.

This now should destroy everything any of you have leart about capacitors distributing charge over their plates.

Further reading to be done under the CATT anamoly
Plasma
Wed Feb 28 2018, 07:39AM
Johnf I think I understand it, the delitic forms a dipole of positive and negative, the plates pick that up.
what if you charge up two insulator and stage them on top of the over. What would the voltage be if they were indunval charged to 12volt.
I can't test this as all the settings on the multimeter read out of bounds.
cheers
Sulaiman
Wed Feb 28 2018, 09:02PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
johnf wrote ...

Plasma
time to mess with your head
make a two plate capacitor with a sheet of teflon or mylar or whatever you have to put between the plates make it bigger so you can remove it without touching the metal plates

make a second set plates no teflon or mylar but spacing the same as the first.
Charge up the first set of plates carefully remove the plastic sheet and put it between the second set of plates.
now measure the voltage on the second set of plates.

This now should destroy everything any of you have leart about capacitors distributing charge over their plates.

Further reading to be done under the CATT anamoly

From your description, I'm guessing that you have not done the dielectric/plates thing yourself, just read about it ?
If you consider each part of the circuit vs. 'the universe' and the starting conditions, there seems to be no CATT anomaly, just an obfuscating question syntax.
Understand why v < c and the rest is obvious. (typ. v = 0.6c to 0.9c)
Plasma
Thu Mar 01 2018, 06:37AM
Got a multi, the charge is on the metal plates,maybe... More testing
Plasma
Sat Mar 03 2018, 07:52PM
Suliman how did you get the 0.6-0.9 figures.
the capatance seems to lower the voltage read. Is it that or the dielectric constant of the material, as plasma has one of the highest, should it be worth testing that.
Thanks
Sulaiman
Sat Mar 03 2018, 08:27PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Plasma wrote ...

Suliman how did you get the 0.6-0.9 figures.
the capatance seems to lower the voltage read. Is it that or the dielectric constant of the material, as plasma has one of the highest, should it be worth testing that.
Thanks

Frankly, I plucked them out of the air,
electromagnetic signals travel along co-ax cables typ. 0.66c to 0.8c,
a parallel pair of wires in space, or one wire against a plane/the earth, forms a transmission line, with equivalent series inductance and parallel capacitance, an impedance.
I think c0.95c for a single wire above earth.
(for a wire I use 1uH/m and 5 to 10 pF/m as a rule-of-thumb)
So the numbers are not precise, but representative.
I'm sure numbers <0.6c and >0.95c are common under other circumstances.

In reality, when you transfer charge from one object to another,
the connection path has 'inductance', and the bodies have 'capacitance',
this 'tuned circuit' will oscillate.
A little more complex than the simple theoretical model
- which would require infinite current flow for an infinitesimal time.

The thing to remember about inductance and capacitance is that they are simplified representations of quantum stuff that confuses me, so if engineering models are used at extremes, they need modifying.

+Q and -Q are relative to what ?
normally it is implied relative to earth, the body must have capacitance and voltage to hold a charge (dQ=C.dV etc.)
so the bodies by definition start at different potentials .....
Plasma
Sun Mar 04 2018, 11:44AM
I measure the ac voltage and subtract it from the dc voltage. How would you minimise the leakage current, would that be apart of the ac part.
I got it wrong before, stacking the same charge plates together increase the voltage registered.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: