All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Cheap amplifier for DDS

1 2 3
Move Thread LAN_403
Sulaiman
Tue Feb 20 2018, 03:26PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
even if dds freq. not high enough for lnb,
a frequency multiplier, or simpler, a mixer, should be straightforward ?
tarakan2
Wed Feb 21 2018, 02:01AM
tarakan2 Registered Member #3859 Joined: Sun May 01 2011, 03:47PM
Dr. Slack wrote ...

You could buy five of these things Link2 for £75

or five of these Link2 for £15

I'd imagine you could take the crystals off the first ones, which have the advantage to you of having manual front panel controls. I know you could take them off the second ones, but these would need a bit of software to control, but not a lot, they are SPI, and at least you know what the device is and can get data sheets, which might be difficult for the first ones.

It's fairly straightforward to move clock signals around at 10s of MHz. It needs a bit of care, you don't want long wires and haphazard paralleling of loads. A single hex HC buffer from the master clock source, each output driving a single source terminated transmission line to each driven device should be pretty bomb-proof.

I think that I will wait for the right kind of budget DDS generator to appear on the market.
I am not confident enough that I am going to successfully wire several DDSs together.
I have dealt with SPI and with microcontrollers before. I would like to avoid programming at all cost.

tarakan2
Wed Feb 21 2018, 08:54PM
The highest possible frequency that this device may require would be 2MHZ

I would still like to know if there is a way to desolder individual oscillators and to wire everything to a common clock source without programming,
tarakan2
Wed Feb 21 2018, 09:22PM
Link2

What kind of signal would I need to send to the back of this generator?
How can I split such synchronization signal between several devices of this kind?

Some generators have a trigger function. What is that?

What does TLL-IO and EXT.IN stand for?
Link2
Dr. Slack
Thu Feb 22 2018, 10:57AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Both of those products are a bit light on details in the listings, you will have to download their operation manuals and read carefully.

In the first one, you have 'sync out' and 'sync in' sockets. You might hope that if you have two generators, and connect one to the other, and maybe daisy-chain onto a third, that they would be synchronised in some fashion. Unfortunately, and perhaps this reflects why they don't go into much detail in the listings, there's several things synchronisation could mean. I note that so far in this thread, you've not stated exactly what *you* hope to achieve by connecting several together, other than implicitly by talking about disconecting crystals, which would result in a common frequency standard between all units.

The 'level 1' of synchronisation would be that they all use the same frequency standard. 'Sync' might mean that on the first one, or may not. 'Level 2' would assume same frequency, but would add that two generators making the same frequency waveform would have settable mutual phase. Is this required? Sync may be a timing pulse, to establish a common timing reference. Or it might be programmable in some way.

One the second unit you link to 'ext in' would very likely be an external frequency reference, but whether 1, 2, 5 or 10MHz, or selectable between those, will be in the furnished manual.

The TTL I/O only tells you one thing, it's a digital signal at TTL levels. Whether it's a timing reference, or a square wave version of the sinewave from panel output, or pulse amplitude modulation in, or programmable between all of those and more, will be in the fine manual. It's probably not however a frequency reference.
tarakan2
Thu Feb 22 2018, 05:52PM
Dr. Slack wrote ...

Both of those products are a bit light on details in the listings, you will have to download their operation manuals and read carefully.

In the first one, you have 'sync out' and 'sync in' sockets. You might hope that if you have two generators, and connect one to the other, and maybe daisy-chain onto a third, that they would be synchronised in some fashion. Unfortunately, and perhaps this reflects why they don't go into much detail in the listings, there's several things synchronisation could mean. I note that so far in this thread, you've not stated exactly what *you* hope to achieve by connecting several together, other than implicitly by talking about disconecting crystals, which would result in a common frequency standard between all units.

The 'level 1' of synchronisation would be that they all use the same frequency standard. 'Sync' might mean that on the first one, or may not. 'Level 2' would assume same frequency, but would add that two generators making the same frequency waveform would have settable mutual phase. Is this required? Sync may be a timing pulse, to establish a common timing reference. Or it might be programmable in some way.

One the second unit you link to 'ext in' would very likely be an external frequency reference, but whether 1, 2, 5 or 10MHz, or selectable between those, will be in the furnished manual.

The TTL I/O only tells you one thing, it's a digital signal at TTL levels. Whether it's a timing reference, or a square wave version of the sinewave from panel output, or pulse amplitude modulation in, or programmable between all of those and more, will be in the fine manual. It's probably not however a frequency reference.

Thank you.

I ended up buying fg085 because it is open-source.

I wonder if there is a way to back up the firmware that is already written in to the device, comparing it to the firmware that I am planning to write to it. I may be able to change one of the bits in the code to make this frequency work off an external clock source.

However there is always a risk that I will end up with a malfunctioning device after I do the firmware modification.

I would need to compile this file:
Link2
of this project:
Link2

and I am not even sure what to compile it with and what files I would need to leave out.
I already compiled firmware so the device stopped working and I had to sell the dead hardware on Ebay.

1 2 3

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: